Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So aside from 3 year warranty and the mechanic being able to upcharge the part, what’s the difference between bringing in my own replacement rebuilt starter I buy and the starter the mechanic tries to sell me for $250+?

I mean technically, a starter is a relatively simple piece of machinery right? Aside
From what I’ve mentioned, what’s the difference between a manufacturer’s rebuilt starter the mechanic is offering me and the one I buy for a fraction of the cost online?

I have a mechanic offering to fix the starter problem for $500 soon, and a mechanic offering to put in my part for $250 in a week. If time is not an issue, then what else is? I understand business & overhead and why one mechanic can afford to install my own parts whereas the other mechanic might not be able to.
But my question is this: is there any difference in quality, really, between the expensive starter and the one I can buy at AutoZone or auto shack?

AWD 2.4 engine 2005 Honda CR-V 200,000 miles

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So aside from 3 year warranty and the mechanic being able to upcharge the part, what’s the difference between bringing in my own replacement rebuilt starter I buy and the starter the mechanic tries to sell me for $250+?

I mean technically, a starter is a relatively simple piece of machinery right? Aside
From what I’ve mentioned, what’s the difference between a manufacturer’s rebuilt starter the mechanic is offering me and the one I buy for a fraction of the cost online?

I have a mechanic offering to fix the starter problem for $500 soon, and a mechanic offering to put in my part for $250 in a week. If time is not an issue, then what else is? I understand business & overhead and why one mechanic can afford to install my own parts whereas the other mechanic might not be able to.
But my question is this: is there any difference in quality, really, between the expensive starter and the one I can buy at AutoZone or auto shack?

Well, if it's a remanufactured Mitsuba for that price, I'd take it. The Mitsuba products that are available for my vehicle are made in the US and top notch quality. This said, as long as it meets OE specs, you'd be fine.

Reactions: Lochinvar

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
is there any difference in quality, really, between the expensive starter and the one I can buy at AutoZone or auto shack?
YES. I learned the hard way (over several makes not just Honda) that having an auto electrical shop repair the starter (or alternator) is best.

The shop will load-test the windings, check the starter solenoid (both mechanically and physically) and replace the electrical brushes inside.
Our local guy provides next-day service.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX 2.4 L Gasoline
267 Posts
+1 to what Carbuff2 said.

Remanufactured starters and alternators sold in auto parts stores often have been remanufactured in foreign countries by cheap labors who are unskilled and uneducated regarding the electrical and mechanical parts they are working on. And when they work on them they do the minimum required to get it to work and do NOT check the entire device for items that are also going bad or about to fail. The reliability of these low cost rebuilds is terrible. Sure you can find very low cost rebuild starters and alternators at auto-parts stores. But if you use them be sure to keep the receipt because there is a very high probability you will be bringing it back to get it replaced under warranty, and as many have found out, more than once. In fact, some say be sure to Zerox the receipt, because some stores use ink that fades in a few months and when you need to take the starter or alternator back for warranty it can't be read. And the second one they give you with the warranty will also fail within warranty.

In other words, the cheap rebuilds are junk and do not last.

Add on top of that, replacing the starter on most CR-Vs is a royal PITA and it is not easy to get to the bolts. The mechanic who does them is earning there keep on that job.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as what has already been said, the best low cost way to handle replacing a bad starter by far is to have the local shop that rebuilds them do the rebuild. They will test it well, and the reliability of it will be much greater than one that was rebuilt in some cheap foreign sweat shop by low paid unskilled labor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask any independent auto shop in any decent size city, where do they send there starters and alternators to to get them repaired. That is the shop you want to have remanufacture your starter. Weather you take the vehicle to that shop or have your mechanic pull and replace it with that shop that they all are using rebuilding it, does not matter.

Look at it this way. If your mechanic choses the rebuild and it fails shortly after, then your mechanic eats the time to do it free under warranty the second time. Therefore, your mechanic is going to chose the rebuild that will last, so they do not take a loss of there time doing it again, and again, and again. Your mechanic can not afford to use parts that are not reliable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a saying, "We do not have the money to do it right, but we have the money to do it over again."

Well considering the cost of the labor for doing it over again if you have a mechanic use the very cheap rebuild (because you will have to pay for the labor the second time), and the inconvenience of the vehicle failing to start again sometime in the near future, if you do buy the very cheap rebuild. And throw in the possibility that when that cheap rebuild fails it could put such a high load on the vehicles battery that it draws so much current from the battery that it destroys the battery, and then along with another starter you have to buy a new battery. The very cheap rebuilds are not worth it. There is cheap and there is too cheap. And what you are talking about is too cheap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there are not any rebuilders in any town near you, there is a very good starter, and alternator rebuild shop in the south hills area of Pittsburgh PA that all the independent auto repair shops take there customers starters and alternators to. You can phone them and ask if you could UPS a starter to them for them to rebuild. It is ran by two brothers who have been there for many years. It is: Ed's Generator Service 2029 PA-51 Pittsburgh, PA 15210 there phone number is 412 881 0300

Anybody who knows cars in the Pittsburgh PA area known to avoid the cheap auto parts store rebuilds, and takes there starters and alternators to Ed's. BTW, I have used them over the years. They are good. And I am not in any way affiliated with them.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,487 Posts
A garage or shop will typically not want to use parts supplied by the customer
To do so will bring down the money earned by the garage.
The garage buys their parts from auto parts stores or warehouses at whole sale or commercial prices
Then add their mark up before selling it to the customer.
If there is a problem then the mechanic will use the manufacturer
or sellers warranty to change the part
If you buy and install yourself then you buy at retail prices.
You save a little on the part and everything on installation.
But, if something goes wrong then any electrical part is not returnable.
Warranty will depend upon the auto parts store.

What is the difference? Practically none.
It is all a crapshoot with remanufactured parts.
Some new parts are also suspect.
No one is perfect.

Is there a difference between champion spark plugs and NGK spark plugs?
Yes, there is. And if you buy on line then you have to be wary of counterfeit parts.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX 2.4 L Gasoline
267 Posts
I doubt that the $250.00 starter has been remanufactured by Mitsuba. Looking at the online stores the remanufactured by Mitsuba go for around $323.49 to over $400.00 and there is a $75.00 core charge.

If it says Mitsuba on a rebuild for $250.00 it probably is referring to the original manufacturer, and not the rebuilder.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
570 Posts
I prefer buying alternators and starters from those shops that say “alternators and starters” on the side of the building. Usually in the industrial part of town. Go inside and there usually a 70 year old guy who is the owner and technician there. His 40 year old daughter is the receptionist who will take over the business when he’s done. Their business is basically, alternators and starters. that’s where the good remanufactured starters are at.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Shops don’t like using parts from unknown sources. Too many have been burned by sub standard parts and then they are caught in the middle when/if the part is bad.

Manufacturers starter is allegedly rebuilt to factory specs while most online rebuilds only have worn parts replaced.

I rebuild my own starters and with usually with Mitsuba starters the issue is bad brushes and the solenoid (some older cars have replaceable contacts inside the solenoid). CRV starter doesn’t look to have an external solenoid so I’ll have to investigate if the plunger set is the “solenoid” now. Those parts are between $40-100 from the dealer so if you are getting a starter for $60 you will likely be replacing it real soon. You can source them cheaper from an alternator/starter shop but they are usually lesser quality.
If you repair your own car or you are interested in attempting a starter rebuild they are not that difficult to test and repair. Alternators as well.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just saw that you had another post saying the car was turning over but wouldn’t start. If the engine is turning when you engage the starter then the problem is most likely not your starter and you should have it diagnosed before you start throwing parts at it.
Guesschanics gets expensive and causes frustration, so if you haven’t had the problem identified I would not spend money on a starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice, truly appreciated!
I went ahead and “threw parts at it” 😳
per the mechanics advise that it was probably the starter that was bad. At least if they replace the starter and it wasn’t what was causing the problem, then their labor is under warranty as well. so we will see..some of what you are saying is making me think it could be anything from the crank sensor to an ignition thing.

Anyways, thanks again and does Anyone think I should keep my old starter once it’s been replaced? Is there any merit to that? I could get it rebuilt or fiddle with it ?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
570 Posts
Anyways, thanks again and does Anyone think I should keep my old starter once it’s been replaced? Is there any merit to that? I could get it rebuilt or fiddle with it ?
I’ve got an “old parts” bin. Stuff piles up in it for years, and I eventually figure I’ll never need it and throw it out. After I throw it out, within a few weeks I’ll find a use for it.

Reactions: Kazoo2U

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,487 Posts
per the mechanics advise that it was probably the starter that was bad. At least if they replace the starter and it wasn’t what was causing the problem, then their labor is under warranty as well. so we will see..some of what you are saying is making me think it could be anything from the crank sensor to an ignition thing.

Thought you would have answered the questions about whether it crank all the time whether it starts or not??
Or that it does not crank when it is a no start??
The answer would have indicated which place to look, starting circuit or running circuit??

·
Registered
493 Posts

I replaced my starter a couple of months ago.
I used the best NEW Started that Auto Zone made for my car.
My shop has no problems helping me choose and charges me a Fair price.
The problem with replacing a Honda Starter on the 2,4 is the location.
It's Hard to get to, so Don't buy used, get The Best New Starter you can afford.
Personally, I don't want to be stranded because I saved 50 dollars or so.
Quality in means performance. My car starts perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got it replaced. It starts great but about a day or two later it starts making a noise I’ve never heard. Sounds like the muffler is going to fall off, super loud when I start it up and while going under 30mph. Could it be possible that the mechanic didn’t close her up well? A leak somewhere? or something not replaced to its proper place after having taken out the intake manifold?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
So, a different issue?

Helped a friend with a Subie...starter made noise like that and the issue was that one starter mounting bolts were not torqued down. When the starter 'cocked' the gear was hitting the flywheel teeth....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, a different issue?

Helped a friend with a Subie...starter made noise like that and the issue was that one starter mounting bolts were not torqued down. When the starter 'cocked' the gear was hitting the flywheel teeth....
Idk man, getting frustrated. It could be an entirely unrelated problem but as a woman I often have to be a little sus when it comes to cars.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
It is GREAT that you are aware of changes in behavior of your car, bring it back to the mechanic for a test drive.

Yeah, its frustrating.:cry:

Reactions: JB in AZ
1 - 19 of 19 Posts