Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,877 Posts
Hi all,

Picked up a 2010 CRV Lx 4WD 146K km, a couple months ago and took it to the mechanic for fluid change (oil, trans and diff) since I didn't know the history. MF'r over torqued the transmission drain plug and cracked the housing (pic attached).

Now he's saying he'll get a longer/deep bolt plus freeze-weld the crack and it should be good, but need to know if that'll hold up or is a fair solution?

Also, anyone know the name of the part to which the drain port is attached: transmission housing, torque converter...transfer case?? Would like to know so that if needed I can say replace X part as a whole instead of repair.

Appreciate any/all help, thank you.
Will second what Jayceegee said above. No excuse at all for this type of shoddy performance.

Rectangle Font Parallel Signage Square

What type of mechanic - independent or Honda dealer? Both should have insurance to cover mishaps like this, but if an independent, may not have that coverage. If a Honda dealer, start a paper trail with corporate including all pictures. Just might have to take either to small claims court for restitution.

In either case, they should be the one to replace the case. Freeze-weld may hold up until the wheels fall off several years down the road, but on the off chance that it fails, your transmission will become a boat anchor.

· Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,877 Posts
How will the mechanic honor his "warranty" if his repair fails while you are traveling to another province?

Be assertive! Get the case replaced - doesn't have to be a brand new case; your mechanic can get one from an auto salvage yard.

You, the consumer, have the expectation that your vehicle will be returned in the same or better condition than when brought in for repair. What happened is on their hands. They should own up & correct it to the condition your case was prior to you bringing it in for service. Anything less should not be acceptable.

On a separate note, if this mechanic was so pressed for time due to other obligations, maybe you should be looking at another place for you & your vehicle. Torque specs exist for a reason. From personal experience, I can attest that a bolt meant for 34 ft-lbs does not handle 85 ft-lbs very well. Luckily for me, this was one of the bolts for a front caliper. Was able to remove the broken part w/o too much problem, bought a new bolt, & read / followed the recommended torque for the new one.

· Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,877 Posts
Glad for the result you've posted.

You did the smart & reasonable thing regarding your vehicle. We all know someone who would have taken the first option, only to find out later that the fix didn't work & the "fixer" wouldn't do anything about that fail. You are your own best advocate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts