Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
105 Posts
It is one thing to weld a crack in the housing but I don't even see that as the main problem as bad as it is. Yes I imagine you could weld the crack in the housing itself and I imagine it would last a good long while. I see a bigger problem with the actual threaded part that the plug screws into. It is obvious from the picture that when it cracked the threaded portion separated by a good bit. A weld will fill the gap but the diameter is now larger than it originally was. It is highly unlikely that the drain plug will seal it properly because of the larger thread diameter now. And I doubt that another bolt will work unless it is drilled out and tapped after the weld and even then I would be suspicious. I agree with the general consensus that the housing has to be replaced. If it was me every time I drove the thing I would be looking under the vehicle to check for leaks. Best of luck..

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
105 Posts
Personally I would either go to a dealer or to a highly reputable repair center and get an estimate on what it would cost to replace the housing. You might want to get two or three different estimates. At that point I would go to small claims court and sue for the smallest estimate because that is typically what the court will award you. That's it end of story. I would not trust that repair whatsoever. As others have pointed out expansion and contraction is going to make that fail at some point and probably sooner rather than later. The plug itself looks like it has an obvious gap in it.

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
105 Posts
Glad to hear it. Used transmissions I have seen usually come with some type of warranty so be sure to enquire about that. As a matter of fact you can search for yourself for one. All the ones I have seen can be drop-shipped directly to the garage and the listing tells you how many original miles are on it and the warranty it comes with.

Best of luck!

For example:
2010 Honda CRV
Part Details:Transmission Assembly - Automatic Transmission (2.4L) AWD
Price:$1,080.00 (Used Transmission)
or as low as $63.00/mo with
More info
1 Year or 12K Mile Parts & Labor Warranty included image
Shipping:Free Shipping in all U.S. states except HI & AK
(*There is a $150 charge for all residential deliveries)
Mileage:~30K miles

· Registered
2021 CR-V EX-L
105 Posts
Thought you might like to see a picture of your donor vehicle. Still trying to get a mileage on it. If anyone has a CarFax subscription that should give the mileage at time of accident. Last odometer I found was 88,162 but no way of knowing if that was final or at some earlier time.
Update: Found a later mileage: 109,062

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts