Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Picked up a 2010 CRV Lx 4WD 146K km, a couple months ago and took it to the mechanic for fluid change (oil, trans and diff) since I didn't know the history. MF'r over torqued the transmission drain plug and cracked the housing (pic attached).

Now he's saying he'll get a longer/deep bolt plus freeze-weld the crack and it should be good, but need to know if that'll hold up or is a fair solution?

Also, anyone know the name of the part to which the drain port is attached: transmission housing, torque converter...transfer case?? Would like to know so that if needed I can say replace X part as a whole instead of repair.

Appreciate any/all help, thank you.

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all - it's an independent local mechanic and already having a sleepless night about it. Going to try to push for a replacement as I go there again in about 6hrs. Never dealt with any such situation - is it just a straight up, "don't repair it need you to replace it?" How should I tackle if he says I'll repair it good, don't worry (been going to him for a couple years now)?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
(Thank you all) Update - fully agree with the reco's here that replacement (case or trans) is the ideal fix and mechanic/shop bears full responsibility.

I went there yesterday and by the time I got there, he'd already "fixed" it using Permatex epoxy (pics attached). He says he drove it 50km to test it and come back in 7-10 days he'll inspect it again to make sure it's holding up.

I feel like I can push him to replace but it almost feels like opening pandora's box - touching things that aren't broken to fix this crack (full engine and trans out)! Plus, if I push him to replace it, he'll likely just order a used/scrapped unit which again could be good or bad...

Honestly, I feel if it holds up I can live with it because it's just stressing to keep thinking about it (sigh)...but wanted to get some thoughts if such fix is liveable

Thoughts?

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update # 2: Thank you all (sincerely), you folks were right and the patch didn't hold up. I took it back to him, he's agreed to replace the transmission with a used unit.

As soon as I said, it's leaking (minor) he said I can patch it again and we can monitor for 2-3 days, I told him dude I can't live day to day constantly checking is it holding up or is it leaking...etc. (points you all gave) and he then said the other option is I can replace it. So I said do it - will get the car back Thu evening according to him. Will update again.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Long shot but IS anyone able to look up the mileage on the following VIN (donor vehicle from which trans was pulled): 5J6RE4H33BL809227

Trying to find some peace of mind that it's not a high mileage vehicle

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thought you might like to see a picture of your donor vehicle. Still trying to get a mileage on it. If anyone has a CarFax subscription that should give the mileage at time of accident. Last odometer I found was 88,162 but no way of knowing if that was final or at some earlier time.
Update: Found a later mileage: 109,062

View attachment 160154
Thank you so so much! 🙏

Does it say if that's in miles or KM and approx. date/year of 109K?? I'm based in Canada (KM) so would be a relief knowing it's close to my original mileage (147K km). I acknowledge that it's no guarantee/depends on how donor was driven, but still after this stressful ordeal some good news would be settle the mind :) (Thank you!)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The VIN comes back as a 2011 model and the mileage is in Miles. Accident reported in April 2022.

And you are very welcome. Wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted how it all works out . (y)
Absolutely - thank you so much 🙏 , converted the 109k miles mileage seems be around 175k km (compared to mine 147k) which isn't too far off so that's some peace of mind.

Certainly, going to monitor for while but the drive home and to grocery store seemed good.

The only thing I noticed that I'll tackle once the canadian winter fades is the replacement transmission dip stick tunnel tip top part has an indent (likely due to accident) so getting the dip-stick to lock in is tough. So will try to just push it open so it slides in easily. (It's the rubber portion just below the hook part of the dip stick from which you pull, that area the mouth of the trans pipe down is bent in)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Glad for the result you've posted.

You did the smart & reasonable thing regarding your vehicle. We all know someone who would have taken the first option, only to find out later that the fix didn't work & the "fixer" wouldn't do anything about that fail. You are your own best advocate.
Absolutely - had it not been for the good folks here, I might have accepted the first fix but truly appreciate the support here that helped me make the right choice :)

Hoping this post helps someone in future

1 - 8 of 8 Posts