Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Mechanic screw up - need help - transmission drain housing cracked over-torqued

2261 Views 40 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  allens969
Hi all,

Picked up a 2010 CRV Lx 4WD 146K km, a couple months ago and took it to the mechanic for fluid change (oil, trans and diff) since I didn't know the history. MF'r over torqued the transmission drain plug and cracked the housing (pic attached).

Now he's saying he'll get a longer/deep bolt plus freeze-weld the crack and it should be good, but need to know if that'll hold up or is a fair solution?

Also, anyone know the name of the part to which the drain port is attached: transmission housing, torque converter...transfer case?? Would like to know so that if needed I can say replace X part as a whole instead of repair.

Appreciate any/all help, thank you.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
Can you cold weld this crack....nope. Cold welding is ok if you are tack some light gauge metal but cold welding has no penetration and no structural strength. A skilled welder can repair this crack almost as good as new by grinding out the weld so he can obtain good penetration through out the full thickness of the metal. And then probably install a threaded insert.
This is why God created torque wrenches so that us mere mortals wouldn't screw up aluminum cases. 馃ぃ

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
OMG, he epoxied the drain plug in. When you mentioned "cold weld" I thought you were referring to the actual welding process called cold welding not an epoxy called cold weld. So I guess you're not planning on changing the trans fluid in the future. Never go back to this guy again for any service. Sorry but this is an abortion gone bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts