Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical vs Electronic reliability as it relates to extended warranty

5K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  EXcommunicated 
How reliable/how problematic are the electronics in my 2019 touring turbo with 13K?

We just bought the car and have a week to decide on the extended warranty from the dealer. The warranty company is reputable and this is not a question as to whether the cost or coverage period is reasonable. We keep our cars for about 10 years or so.

Up until this purchase, I have always declined the extended warranty on my prior cars. Its a Honda after all, what can go wrong? The dealer even agrees we me that today's cars are mechanically reliable. There are exceptions of course, but I have never experienced a catastrophic failure (engine, transmission) that required an expensive repair that would have made an extended warranty pay for itself. But....

The dealer made a case that the benefit of an extended warranty comes into play if any of the electronics go bad like navigation, cruise, crash avoidance systems etc. And although the computer/board/electronic gizmo may be relatively inexpensive, the labor to diagnose and install is where the expense lies. I recognize that today's car's are more electronically sophisticated. I am keeping an open mind to the possible benefit of the warranty despite my 40 years of car ownership that says I have never needed an extended warranty. But in the past, the main warranty pitch was the risk of mechanical failure.

The question is does anyone have experience or thoughts on the reliability of today's car electronics (Honda or others) that would help me assess the need for or benefits of an extended warranty?

Thank you
Jim
Personally, I wouldn't get the extended warranty on any Honda, my trust is that high. I'm on my 5th one, and have never come close to exceeding what the cost of a warranty would be on repairs over the time I have had them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.