Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical vs Electronic reliability as it relates to extended warranty

5K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  EXcommunicated 
#1 ·
How reliable/how problematic are the electronics in my 2019 touring turbo with 13K?

We just bought the car and have a week to decide on the extended warranty from the dealer. The warranty company is reputable and this is not a question as to whether the cost or coverage period is reasonable. We keep our cars for about 10 years or so.

Up until this purchase, I have always declined the extended warranty on my prior cars. Its a Honda after all, what can go wrong? The dealer even agrees we me that today's cars are mechanically reliable. There are exceptions of course, but I have never experienced a catastrophic failure (engine, transmission) that required an expensive repair that would have made an extended warranty pay for itself. But....

The dealer made a case that the benefit of an extended warranty comes into play if any of the electronics go bad like navigation, cruise, crash avoidance systems etc. And although the computer/board/electronic gizmo may be relatively inexpensive, the labor to diagnose and install is where the expense lies. I recognize that today's car's are more electronically sophisticated. I am keeping an open mind to the possible benefit of the warranty despite my 40 years of car ownership that says I have never needed an extended warranty. But in the past, the main warranty pitch was the risk of mechanical failure.

The question is does anyone have experience or thoughts on the reliability of today's car electronics (Honda or others) that would help me assess the need for or benefits of an extended warranty?

Thank you
Jim

See less See more
#4 ·
I also went for the extended warranty, not because the cars are unreliable, but because repairs on electronics are expensive and the warranty was pretty cheap. Also a first for me in 45+ years.

Even if your dealer is reputable, I’d still benchmark against the prices for a HondaCare warranty from one of the dealers that specializes in selling extended warranties on line. I got mine from Sean at Hyannis Honda for ~$1k for an additional 3 years.

#5 ·
Have the extended warranty on our 2018 V because of all the electrical components that, while failing less than the mechanical parts, are more expensive to replace.

In addition, had the extended warranty on our 2010 Accord. Never needed it [whistling past the graveyard here], but we did get a refund equal to half of the original price of the warranty.

#6 ·
I don't know the exact split between mechanical and electrical field failures in modern Hondas, but I do know that in almost all cases, electronic components (which are now days field replaceable units, not repairable by dealers) cost a lot more than the typical mechanical part. Electronic black boxes in modern Hondas can easily top $2K just for the box, plus labor to install and verify it.

Generally, I would expect electronics to be more reliable than mechanical moving parts, but the real risk now days is if a black box system tends to have some field reliability issues requiring intervention repairs (example: BCMs in gen5s)

I'm with Excommunicated on extended warranties these days. HondaCare is quite modestly priced, even for eligible used vehicles, if you shop online for it. Even if you paid full retail price to a local dealer (they clearly make good profits on these based on the discounted prices we see online) it still a pretty reasonable price compared to many 3rd party policies of similar coverage. And being a Honda originated policy, there will never be any finger pointing back and forth between Honda, owner, and a third party warranty company.

#8 ·
I don't know the exact split between mechanical and electrical field failures in modern Hondas, but I do know that in almost all cases, electronic components (which are now days field replaceable units, not repairable by dealers) cost a lot more than the typical mechanical part. Electronic black boxes in modern Hondas can easily top $2K just for the box, plus labor to install and verify it.

Generally, I would expect electronics to be more reliable than mechanical moving parts, but the real risk now days is if a black box system tends to have some field reliability issues requiring intervention repairs (example: BCMs in gen5s)

I'm with Excommunicated on extended warranties these days. HondaCare is quite modestly priced, even for eligible used vehicles, if you shop online for it. Even if you paid full retail price to a local dealer (they clearly make good profits on these based on the discounted prices we see online) it still a pretty reasonable price compared to many 3rd party policies of similar coverage. And being a Honda originated policy, there will never be any finger pointing back and forth between Honda, owner, and a third party warranty company.
Definitely go Honda Care......

#7 ·
Warranties are just a form of insurance… The company collects premiums, and in return, takes on risk in the hopes that they’ll make more money than they’ll pay. If you can afford to pay for (possible) repairs out of pocket, you’ll likely come out on top by refusing the warranty. If coming up with the cash for an expensive repair would be difficult, you should consider buying it.

Products generally need repairs with a “bathtub curve”, meaning many repairs are done at the beginning (when still under manufacturer warranty), comparatively few for a few years, and then start suffering from age-related failures (usually after an extended warranty has expired.)

#11 ·
I went with an extended warranty for the first time. I looked at it from an engineers view, from the increase in electronics and a more complex engine, I thought it prudent. Have not be disappointed in my decision...camera, gauge cluster and infotainment system have been replaced....now waiting on fuel injectors as the next potential issue. But I'm covered.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. In rough numbers it looks like 50% of the 11 responses bought/would buy an extended warranty. Again, it "appears" as if only 1 of the 11 have actually used their extended warranty. I realize this is only seat of the pants statistics given the small sample size, but it does suggest there is a concern for repair costs. IF, an electronic component is at fault.

True, its optional insurance. One responder mentions BCM issues and I looked it up and it would appear to have a somewhat vehicle-wide impact. But it also appears to be subject to a factory recall to fix the problem which would not require an extended warranty for the repair. Of course there could be other non-recall related issues, that recur or add up over time to make an extended warranty worth it.

Naturally the dealer's offer was buy it now when doing the sale paperwork, but I know from past purchases, I would continue to get "its not too late" emails for months afterward trying to sell the extended warranty after declining it at the sale. The dealer admitted it takes about a week to process paperwork and that I could use that time to think about purchasing the warranty.

We bought the car from an Acura dealer who also has the adjacent Honda dealership. The warranty was from a third party, not Honda Care, but I did request a Honda Care quote from the link provided. Thanks for that.

#17 ·
One responder mentions BCM issues and I looked it up and it would appear to have a somewhat vehicle-wide impact. But it also appears to be subject to a factory recall to fix the problem which would not require an extended warranty for the repair. Of course there could be other non-recall related issues, that recur or add up over time to make an extended warranty worth it.
There is NO recall on BCMs that I am aware of. If your factory warranty has expired and your BCM fails, YOU pay to replace it and they are not inexpensive. I sighted that specific example because it has been more problematic for more owners than fuel injector issues.

You may or may not get a good will exception from Honda if the factory warranty is expired, if you open a case with them and they review in your favor (worth a shot). While I know Honda has stepped up on warranty exceptions for some owners when fuel injector issues arise, it very much appears to be mileage dependent in Honda case review. I have seen little or no evidence that Honda is applying exceptions to the factory warranty for failed BCMs.

You may or may not get a good will exception from Honda if the factory warranty is expired (worth a shot).

We bought the car from an Acura dealer who also has the adjacent Honda dealership. The warranty was from a third party, not Honda Care, but I did request a Honda Care quote from the link provided. Thanks for that.
I would avoid dealer pushed 3rd party warranties if at all possible. Some are good, some are not very good at all. The 3rd party warranty marketplace appears more and more to be junk policies in many cases, or when you find a reputable one their prices are way higher than HondaCare for used vehicles.

#14 ·
Well, I bought Honda Care from an online site just before the regular warranty ended. Shortly after...the A/C quit, and Honda Care covered it 100%. $2000 repair cost nothing. Like others, I'm waiting for the injectors to go out. I'm right at the mileage (39,000 miles) where this is likely to happen. 2018 CRV EXL.

#19 ·
Ultimately for me, I just bought an '18 EX, and even with the things that it came with seem well built, SOMETHING will likely go out in the future. I got an 84 month extended warranty that covers virtually EVERYTHING but wear items like brake pads etc. We'll see how things pan out though.

#20 ·
I needed a CVT replacement shortly after warranty expiration. Honda agreed to a goodwill adjustment but it was still expensive. Absent the goodwill gesture would have been $ 5k. Never bought an extended warranty either, but will likely go the Honda Care route if I buy another new one.

#22 ·
It is all about risk tolerance. I research my products putting a high weight on long term reliability and have never purchased an extended warranty which is after all all just an insurance policy that will put extra money in the pockets of the provider for the benefit of a minority. My 2020 CRV is approaching 3 years of age with zero problems or warranty work. If it had given various issues by now I would have considered one but only the Honda extended warranty.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the comments and different perspectives. In my case, I own/have owned 5 Hondas and 2 Toyotas in the last 18 years. Never bought an extended warranty and never needed one. Granted, electronic reliance has increased over that time. I'm going to pass on the third party warranty the dealer offers but will consider the Honda Care warranty. Thanks again.

#24 ·
What I do is to find out how much the Honda Care program will cost on a monthly basis (if you finance the vehicle) and then I put that amount into a savings account every month. So I'm essentially self insuring. At $60 per month, at the end of the vehicle warranty period, I'll have over $2,100 saved for any repairs after that. As with other insurance, if you can't afford to drop $3,000 for a repair, it makes sense to buy an extended warranty. If you can afford it, then take your chances. In the long run, you'll make out for the better.

#30 · (Edited)
It is always going to be a risk of higher repair costs than the $2100 you claim to have banked, but really spent on Lattes at Starbucks over time.

How about multiple $3000+ repairs? Yes, it can and does happen, as do $5000+ repairs if you ended up with an engine or transmisison issue (since these cannot be repaired at a dealership, so they must be swapped out and the defective one returned to a central R&R facility for either rennovation, or breaking down for parts).

Simple as this for each owner: What is your threshold limit on non warrantied repair costs, and how would facing multiple expensive ones affect your satisfaction with the vehicle and with Honda in general? Peace of mind also has a value attached to it for most human beings. One forum members poster child example of what happens to peace of mind and satisfaction in the absence of a HondaCare policy, and by no means unique either:
I unfortunately bought the 2017 Ex-L, and at 65K miles I’m on my 3rd battery, have nonstop dashboard flashing lights, broken radiator and coolant system. Now they’re saying I need a new radar sensor bc of ABS and ACC codes, and lights for lane info and cmbs lights wont turn off. In other words, I’m done. I do love the Cr-V though, so looking for recommendations for more recent years to buy? TYVM
Given you can get a HondaCare policy online from select dealers for a bit over $1000, it makes a fixed cost of repairs for the price of a discounted HC policy look pretty attractive from a total cost of ownership perspective.

#27 ·
Do not consider anything but Honda Care and comparison shop online. Sometimes the local dealer charges twice as much.
On our 2010 EXL the only thing we needed the extended warranty for was front struts. The boots were cracked and they were leaking. One dealer refused to replace them and the other dealer took care of it.
Two items that may need the extended warranty would be the undersized engine with a turbo charger and the CVT transmission. Two unfortunate choices by Honda engineers. Not to mention the complex electronics.

#28 ·
My local dealer quoted about $3k for an extended warranty on our 2020 Hybrid CRV Touring. I have a few months to find a better deal, probably from one of the on-line HondaCare dealers recommended here. Our previous 6 or 7 Hondas had few problems aside from a cracked block a few years ago in a 2007 Civic, but there is a lot more electronics in the 2020 Hybrid than in the previous cars and $1K is worth it to me for the piece of mind.

#29 ·
I bought an extended Honda Care in my prior CRV, and it was transferable to my new one!

I bought it for the electronics. They try to sell you upgrades for things like windshield coverage. That is a lot cheaper by lowering your insurance deductible.

I would never buy from a third party not hired by Honda as I was scammed once.

#31 ·
I hate to say it but, I would not own any car after lets say 2015 +- without a warranty, might be some exceptions but without a warranty on say a hybrid or other electronic safety devices the cost will be $$$$$$. I think any new vehicles value will compromised at say 100K compared with older models. No, Im no rich and drive a 12 CRV and it is pricy enough when it needs repair and the days of DIY are close to being gone.

#32 ·
Never buy those warranties they sell on TV, they’re the biggest ripoff going and should be shut down. Read some of the reviews online, 100’s of horror stories. One example is they’ll give you a rental car, however it only counts while your car is actually being wrenched on. Example, your car sits for a few days while they dicker with the warranty company, you’re not getting a rental until the mechanic is actually working on your care. If they have your car for two weeks you only get a rental for the hours it’s actually being worked on. Total rip-off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.