Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Suggest you read this entire thread - way to many variables/factors affect fuel burn.

You dont mention the mileage on your car? Is it the 2.4 or 1.5T engine?

Details needed if you seek better advice 👍
The poster stated '18 LX, which means 2.4l. This is the wrong thread for them.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
820 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 LX CRV. Was a lease. Had mileage less than average and is in great shape. However the mileage I’m getting on highway is only 25.5 miles a gallon. I was getting over 30 with my 2014!!! Is this normal. It’s four years later and less mileage???
If you're climbing hills at speed, yes, the MPGs will drop (in any vehicle). Another suggestion is to keep it at or below 70MPH for advertised fuel economy.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
The poster stated '18 LX, which means 2.4l. This is the wrong thread for them.
Bear in mind, I'm not in the US so am not aware of when the 2.4/1.5T engines crossed etc :)

Anyway, thread title updated so the post can stay here and be discussed rather than open another one.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,840 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 LX CRV. Was a lease. Had mileage less than average and is in great shape. However the mileage I’m getting on highway is only 25.5 miles a gallon. I was getting over 30 with my 2014!!! Is this normal. It’s four years later and less mileage???
The 2018 LX in US spec had the 2.4 litre or Liter.....

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,149 Posts
Be sure you have reset the MPG indicator when you are checking. This (4 mpg) could have been carry over from before you bought the CR-V. There is something fishy here.
thanks for reminding people. so many are not resetting the counter - and in your settings on the HU, you can have it do it every time on fillup for A counter.....
since mine resets - i'm usually 32-36 mpg w/30% highway & the rest not heavy city traffic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone, I have read and reread, but am still confused about the Econ button/mode.

I have a trip coming up which is about 1,750km (1,000miles), mainly motorway, speed limits of 120 and 130 kph (75 and 80 mph), 2 people, 2 cases, probably stop twice to refuel and refresh.

The question is, will I be better off in terms of fuel efficiency to switch on Econ or not?

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Merged with master thread on fuel economy.

The question is, will I be better off in terms of fuel efficiency to switch on Econ or not?
Off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Merged with master thread on fuel economy.

Off.
Thanks for the reply.
This is why I’m confused, mostly do town driving, car goes into EV, don’t need or use Sport, not around the lanes and campo. So when would I switch to Econ then, or is it just to make you think your trying to save fuel and the planet?

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
So when would I switch to Econ then, or is it just to make you think your trying to save fuel and the planet?
Bingo.

Although, seems you have a Hybrid - in which case, this thread is better for you :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don’t use the Econ button. It robs me of what little initial acceleration there is, off the line. After reading this thread, it seems it is a rather useless function. I am not one to worry much about gas mileage. I just fill up, when it needs it....

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
The ECON feature isnt completely useless - just that the explanation for when its optimal to use is as clear as mud.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EXL
8 Posts
I have averaged 24.9 MPG in 5964 miles of driving on my CRV. That's 5.1 miles shy of the 30 MPG Combined as advertised. Is any one getting better mileage? I've had the car since August 2020. It's been a huge disappointment in gas consumption. Otherwise a great car.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,513 Posts
I have averaged 24.9 MPG in 5964 miles of driving on my CRV. That's 5.1 miles shy of the 30 MPG Combined as advertised. Is any one getting better mileage? I've had the car since August 2020. It's been a huge disappointment in gas consumption. Otherwise a great car.
august to spring is usually winter blend gas n lower mpg (check the 600 threads on it)
Also if its your first crv it takes some time to get used to the powerband , throttle etc.
On highway i avg over 35mpg in my 2017 ex but winter significantly lower

also keep in mind if you autostart and run/idle the car those numbers factor into the calculations on the car if you dont reset.

drive around trying to keep the dash arch in the ‘green zone’ and you’ll get over the mpg on sites plus probably honked at lol

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Worthwhile reading this entire thread. 1.5T CR-V is not exactly designed for 100mpg efficiency.

Alternatively, you can knock yourself out and read the musings of fellow CR-V Hybrid owners here:

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,710 Posts
Is there any information available on what the gas consumption is for the 1.5T (both FWD and AWD) at different constant speeds. One of the official figures for gas consumption is specified as "highway", but the speed limit on a highway in the USA can be anything between 55 and 70 mph, which would make a significant difference in gas consumption.
80 MPH here. :)

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
820 Posts
Drive like a grandma/grandpa. That's how you'll get the advertised numbers. However, if it's hilly where you drive or if you're doing a lot of hard accelerating, you won't see advertised numbers. Also, the motor in yours is just now breaking in so you should see a slight improvement soon from that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What's your city/highway ratio? Driving habits? (gun it/drive fast?) My wife has some impressive numbers with about a 27 MPG average and that includes a lot of start and stops. On the highway around 33 MPG but I drive on the "speedy" side. Every other SUV I have had doesn't even come close to this average----Usually in the 19-21 MPG range.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Agreed. EPA mpg testing is conducted in a controlled environment and testing profile so that all vehicles are essentially reported out to consumers on an apples to apples basis. Otherwise... each manufacturer would do things their way and skew the data to their advantage....kind of like how VW massively cheated on emissions testing a few years back.

In the real world.... with the same engine.. a mid sized sedan should outperform any SUV with the same engine... particularly in highway driving speeds due to.... better aerodynamics of the sedan chassis.
Took a 958 mile trip from Nevada to Montana with Accord following CRV, mostly I-15 then I-90, so highway speeds. Accord MT sedan and 2001 MT CRV. Both cars loaded up. When I first called back to son in the Accord that I needed to pull off and gas up next opportunity, he called back, "Why, I don't need gas?" Unintentional real world example of sedan vs SUV. (I think the fuel tank on the Accord was a bit bigger too)

However, I was able to get around 26 mpg in combined driving in that 2001 CRV when I was doing the calculations. Better than advertised. However, at the time, although not driving freeway too much, did traverse roads with around 40 - 50 mph a lot combined with the city driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 EX-L 1.5 turbo mixed driving 25,660 miles on it I have a average MPG today on trip A of 34.3mpg.. I have never reset either trips. I do drive like a old lady.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts