Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

341 - 360 of 472 Posts

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
142 Posts
well then - the advertisement if 38mpg on Highway is a complete lie and i got ripped off. im paying a tin more for 1 mpg better in a car that is unimpressive. guess ill eat the off the pot cost in this purchase.

buyer beware. sorry to be upset but this is the most ive spent on a vehicle and the first that isnt up to its primary task.
Well, to be fair, it’s advertised at 40 city / 35 highway, but I think even that’s a bit of a stretch. According to the car’s computer I’ve averaged 34.7 mpg over the first 6k miles. That’s about 60% around town, 40% highway.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
Many owners have mentioned low MPG early on, after the sale.

Best advice has been to wait a few tankfuls before getting annoyed....the readout (and your calculations, if you are old-school) will get higher eventually.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
UK 2019 Honda CR-V hybrid EX iMMD
38 Posts
well then - the advertisement if 38mpg on Highway is a complete lie and i got ripped off. im paying a tin more for 1 mpg better in a car that is unimpressive. guess ill eat the off the pot cost in this purchase.

buyer beware. sorry to be upset but this is the most Ive spent on a vehicle and the first that isnt up to its primary task.
I am experienced at driving hybrid cars and can get up to 70mpgUK (58mpgUS) from my CR-V if I really want to. More often I get 52-58mpgUK (43-48mpgUS). Your poor mpg must be due to one of two causes:

1. (Less likely). A serious fault in your particular example of the car. OR
2. (More likely). Differences in operating conditions, not specifically attributable to the car itself: fuel quality, road conditions, terrain, driving style, vehicle load, ambient temperature, cruising speed, ancilliary usage, tyre pressures, etc.

Very many factors affect mpg - your choice of car is only one of them!

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts

buyer beware. sorry to be upset but this is the most ive spent on a vehicle and the first that isnt up to its primary task.
Suggest you read this entire thread.

It will have reasons aplenty to signify why you are not yet reaping the fuel efficiency you desire.

Furthermore, the primary objective of ANY Hybrid is NOT fuel efficiency - its to reduce tailpipe emissions. Any fuel efficiency is a secondary spinoff benefit. Otherwise you should have bought an old-school diesel if you wanted superior gas-mileage, but I have no knowledge of how popular diesels are in the US.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
142 Posts

It will have reasons aplenty to signify why you are not yet reaping the fuel efficiency you desire.
Otherwise you should have bought an old-school diesel if you wanted superior gas-mileage, but I have no knowledge of how popular diesels are in the US.
Not very unless you’re a lorry driver.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Surprised VW dont sell their diesel crapmobiles in the USA?

But anyway - point is, the fuel efficiency will increase for @annoyed.bc - just needs patience!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Furthermore, the primary objective of ANY Hybrid is NOT fuel efficiency - its to reduce tailpipe emissions. Any fuel efficiency is a secondary spinoff benefit. Otherwise you should have bought an old-school diesel if you wanted superior gas-mileage, but I have no knowledge of how popular diesels are in the US.
i did not buy it for tail pipe emissions - that's a complete misnomer - the gas powered version if these cars emissions is negligible to a hybrid. the need was for fuel economy and i at least expected 8-9 mpg improvement. what really disappoints is that the battery on the car cannot charge while driving.

Most of us are not going 50 miles to work and back which is the majority of driving that I do. In my experience the ICE takes 5-10 min to warm up to operating temp in winter conditions, that's with most any car I have driven. But when my commute is 15 miles and takes 20 minutes that = a pretty shitty trip average Mpg for the CRV in cold conditions. Warmer weather however it has much less of an issue getting to temperature and mileage is MUCH better. Even in hot conditions the AC does not seem to really pull the Mpg down very much. It really is much more affected by the cold and having to warm everything up.
i certainly wish i knew that - nowhere in the adverts does it say you have to drive it in the summer only.

Hi All

I’ve had the 2020 CRV hybrid ex-l for about 4 months and found the mpg to be very low. I never got above 28mpg in the city or on the highway. I then discovered that turning off “Econ” mode (the little green leaf symbol) was the issue. I turned this off and suddenly started averaging 35mpg+ in 30-50 degree F weather. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? It seems like a bug with the car but figured I’d ask to see if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks!
ooh - i will try this for sure - is it a governor on the power which would make total sense. going up and looking at the manual right now!! thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also find 70-75 miles per hour to be at (or over) the upper limit of what I find tolerable for an extended drive. It's not bad enough to worry about hearing damage, but it's not pleasant. Nearly all of my normal driving is 65 mph or below, however.
my average speed during commuting is 68-75 so i guess i bought the wrong car.
I can’t understand these consumption figures. Fuel economy is very good in my experience and is currently showing 52.5 mpg (imperial).

This is on a mix of roads mainly sitting at a traffic limited 60 - 65 mph. It was mid fifties before winter and dropped slightly with the colder weather.

I’m pretty sure if the majority of my driving was urban as this review claims it would be nearer 60mpg.
do you drive 35-45 mi one way on highway?

One question. What speed are you cruising at?
this car is too under powdered for how i drive - ave speed is 65-73 mph and this poor little baby engine cannot get it done.

dis all homework except performance.

Many owners have mentioned low MPG early on, after the sale.

Best advice has been to wait a few tankfuls before getting annoyed....the readout (and your calculations, if you are old-school) will get higher eventually.
thanks and i am stuck with the car for at least 4 years to get my money back out of it. i am sure this engine will not be able to survive my driving and needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, to be fair, it’s advertised at 40 city / 35 highway, but I think even that’s a bit of a stretch. According to the car’s computer I’ve averaged 34.7 mpg over the first 6k miles. That’s about 60% around town, 40% highway.
i picked the wrong car for sure. enjoy the cr-v - for me im going to drive it and never buy another honda again.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
330 Posts
thanks and i am stuck with the car for at least 4 years to get my money back out of it. i am sure this engine will not be able to survive my driving and needs.
I’m sure the guys on here are going to try and help you out so it’s worth absorbing some of the advice before condemning the car.

What mode have you got selected? This is relevant because ECON mode is going to dampen your performance, SPORT mode is going to lower your mpg when selected and DRIVE (NORMAL) mode is probably that mode most owners use to provide the optimal driving experience with respect to performance and economy.
this car is too under powdered for how i drive - ave speed is 65-73 mph
I personally achieve very good economy but my driving conditions are probably not the same as yours. The three main factors appear to be speed, ambient temperatures and terrain. Theres not much you can do about your commuting terrain or seasonal ambient temperatures but you can control your speed. Speeds in excess of 70+ appears to be the economy killer so throttle back and see where that gets you.
Great advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went from a 1.5t to the Hybrid.....big mistake. I didn't do my homework about gas mileage. I drive about 70-75mph and i live near 1 hill which i use a lot. Going up that hill is a struggle....feels and sounds like im pushing the engine to its limits......whereas the 1.5 was no issue at all. I'm lucky if i get 29-31 for mpg and i bought the thing 8 months ago. Some of you commenting here are so full of it lol......40mph? Are you idling to your destinations? I love in Socal and the weather here isnt so much of a factor. Truth is the car is great for going to the grocery store.....everything else my 1.5 got better gas mileage. Heck even my X5 almost competes.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
180 Posts
Sounds to me like you got ripped off, but that will happen to uninformed buyers. And it sounds like you've been ripped off before too since the Rogue should get 32mpg on the highway but you were only getting 27 per your first post.

You should've bought a Rogue hybrid, that way you'd have a less safe, less reliable car with even worse gas mileage.

OR take some time to read through the forum and absorb some good advice on how to get the most out of your new, advanced, and highly acclaimed vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hybrid shines big time driving in town not on either highway or interstate driving. Knowing the hybrid concept is still new to many of us despite that Toyota has been selling their hybrids for over ten years it’s really designed for urban commuting and driving at moderate speed that’s where it shines brightly. As the vehicle speeds up to 55+ speed that’s when gas engine takes over entirely and the mileage goes downward especially driving long distance on highway without stop and go freeway traffic. You would have been better fit for a 1.5T for your long distance commuting if you’ve done your research. I love my hybrid for my daily commute as I drive 10 miles in city and 5 miles on freeway each way. If I’m going on long trips on freeways I’ll take my F150 instead. As temps are climbing in my area and I’m seeing 40-50 mpg in town already but as I get on only 5 miles driving 75-80 mph on highway it drops to 35+ overall per tank. It’s fun driving this hybrid CR-V after three months of ownership so far. Anticipating for improved overall gas mileage after break-in and warmer season in next 6 months.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
i did not buy it for tail pipe emissions
I didnt infer that you did.

Merely made a statement about emissions with respect to ALL Hybrids.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
56 Posts
Surprised VW dont sell their diesel crapmobiles in the USA?
They did, they were loved by their owners for the mileage. When they were found to be cheating on their emissions testing, they were forced to buy them all back. I know multiple people who only gave in and sold their back, when the state informed them they would not be able to register the vehicle going forward.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX-L Hybrid - Sonic Grey Pearl
136 Posts
Went from a 1.5t to the Hybrid.....big mistake. I didn't do my homework about gas mileage. I drive about 70-75mph and i live near 1 hill which i use a lot. Going up that hill is a struggle....feels and sounds like im pushing the engine to its limits......whereas the 1.5 was no issue at all. I'm lucky if i get 29-31 for mpg and i bought the thing 8 months ago. Some of you commenting here are so full of it lol......40mph? Are you idling to your destinations? I love in Socal and the weather here isnt so much of a factor. Truth is the car is great for going to the grocery store.....everything else my 1.5 got better gas mileage. Heck even my X5 almost competes.
Full of it? I've been getting 40 mpg easily since it warmed up a bit. Why would someone lie about this? Here's a pic for you.

Most of my driving is 60-65mph using cruise control and I don't drive like a jerk on the streets either. Adjust your driving style before claiming we're all lying.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring
69 Posts
Full of it? I've been getting 40 mpg easily since it warmed up a bit. Why would someone lie about this? Here's a pic for you.
View attachment 146520

Most of my driving is 60-65mph using cruise control and I don't drive like a jerk on the streets either. Adjust your driving style before claiming we're all lying.
Not to derail the thread, but how do you get the coolant temperature to display?

As for mileage, I've been averaging about 35mpg in mixed driving. And I run 75-80mph on the highway.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX-L Hybrid - Sonic Grey Pearl
136 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but how do you get the coolant temperature to display?

As for mileage, I've been averaging about 35mpg in mixed driving. And I run 75-80mph on the highway.
It's a Honda Hack feature.

341 - 360 of 472 Posts