Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

541 - 560 of 624 Posts

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Not hating at all.

Merely expressed my own preference - as you rightly state, some folks DO like having the ECON feature on :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just did my second fill up and 70% high way / 30% in town driving gave me 34.43mpg. I drove 367.9 miles since last fill up and 10.685 gallons went back into the tank. My dash showed I got 35.1mpg. That is a 0.67mpg or roughly 1.9% discrepancy. I’d say that’s about as accurate as you could ask for out of that type of system.
The trip computer is much more consistent than the pump, but probably has a fixed bias. Different pumps don't always shut off at the same point, so you need to use several consecutive fill-ups to calibrate it. I hadn't gone into the following detail before, but the data was there to use as an example so I looked at it. But I had a close idea of what it would say.

Over the last 20K miles, my Accord's (the CR-V is my wife's, and she doesn't track mileage) trip computer has claimed 432 gallons used, but the pumps say I only replaced 420 gallons. That's a little under a 3% error, or a difference of 1.3 mpg.But individual fill-ups vary quite a bit:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am still really happy. Have had mine almost a month. I am averaging 38.7 mpg. Doing the same exact routes and commute in my '18 EX I averaged 26 mpg.

I should add that on my '18 I never reset the B Trip for the entire time I owned the car. Over 21K miles it averaged 27mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did my first trip on the interstate. Usually when I think of highway speeds I think of 55-60mph. This time I drove between 70-80mph majority. Anyways I drove 450 miles from Tennessee to the top of Ohio. I’d say it was majority downhill from the mountains of Tennessee. I averaged 27.2mpg according to the dash but when at fill up I calculated more around 25mpg. No heavy luggage. Just me and a small backpack. What gives? The window sticker shows this does better than the normal CRV. But even my last car that was much bigger mid size suv with a 2.4L 4 cylinder got about 30mpg on this same trip at the same speeds
Super disappointed right now. could it be a break in issue? It had 900 miles on the odometer at the start of the trip.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
could it be a break in issue?
Yes.

900 miles is nothing. You need a good few thousand on there and of course, improved inclement weather too. Wont happen overnight.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
339 Posts
I just did my first trip on the interstate. Usually when I think of highway speeds I think of 55-60mph. This time I drove between 70-80mph majority. Anyways I drove 450 miles from Tennessee to the top of Ohio. I’d say it was majority downhill from the mountains of Tennessee. I averaged 27.2mpg according to the dash but when at fill up I calculated more around 25mpg. No heavy luggage. Just me and a small backpack. What gives? The window sticker shows this does better than the normal CRV. But even my last car that was much bigger mid size suv with a 2.4L 4 cylinder got about 30mpg on this same trip at the same speeds
Super disappointed right now. could it be a break in issue? It had 900 miles on the odometer at the start of the trip.
I got 37 mpg on my first tank, and then it was 40 mpg every time until the temperatures dropped to below 50F. So I assume the first 400-500 mi was the breaking in, or just the dealer didn't fill the tank 100%. That said, my driving is never 100% high speed - it's a more or less equal split among interstate, country roads (45-55 mph), urban/suburban and "mountains" (the Appalachians). I do carry about 200 lbs. of stuff most of the time, though.

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring
30 Posts
Mid 70s is pretty fast. I keep mine below 70.haven't had it long though, and I do about 30% freeway.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
183 Posts
I just got back from a 1,400 mile trip. Mostly highway driving in econ mode with cruise set at 65 or 70mph depending on the state. Averaged 35.5 mpg. Right in line with EPA estimates.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
I just got back from a 1,400 mile trip. Mostly highway driving in econ mode with cruise set at 65 or 70mph depending on the state. Averaged 35.5 mpg. Right in line with EPA estimates.
Be interesting to see your numbers if you also were to do the trip without ECON mode :)

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
As a Prius-trained featherfooter, I have been getting in excess of 40 mpg (US), now that the weather is warm. Are you posting your mpg's on Fuelly or similar?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all,

I am a brand new Hybrid CRV owner. Like I had 50 miles on the odometer before today.

Today I took a 350 mile trip and got 29 MPG. If you know the area, it was Houston to the RGV (Rio Grande Valley). If you don’t know the area... no hills very few curves. Almost always traffic around you. Speed limit up to 75 mph. Temps were only in the 70s today, so the AC didn’t have to work very hard.

I had it in Econ mode and used the adaptive cruise control. With some exceptions, like when I had to get around someone quick, the Adaptive CC was set to 72-76.

While the ACC is a useful feature, it seemed it may not be the best for maximizing fuel efficiency. It would brake unnecessarily (losing momentum) only for it to have to accelerate a moment later to get to the expected speed. On my own, I think my foot would coast to slow down and not need to accelerate so quickly to get back up to speed.

I also wonder if when I need to accelerate quickly (like passing a vehicle) if Econ mode was holding me back. It felt like it.

Like maybe it would be more efficient to just take it off Econ mode or even touch the sport mode.

Ive got my 350 mile trip home on Monday, so give me your best tips! I’m enjoying learning the car. I know when my husband drives it, he’ll just drive it normal. But I’ll enjoy learning how to make it more efficient in different situations.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
^

Merged to master thread.

I had it in Econ mode
I also wonder if when I need to accelerate quickly (like passing a vehicle) if Econ mode was holding me back. It felt like it.
Turn ECON mode off. It literally chokes the car. You'll feel the difference.

Reactions: sjw91

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Hello all,

I am a brand new Hybrid CRV owner. Like I had 50 miles on the odometer before today.

Today I took a 350 mile trip and got 29 MPG. If you know the area, it was Houston to the RGV (Rio Grande Valley). If you don’t know the area... no hills very few curves. Almost always traffic around you. Speed limit up to 75 mph. Temps were only in the 70s today, so the AC didn’t have to work very hard.

I had it in Econ mode and used the adaptive cruise control. With some exceptions, like when I had to get around someone quick, the Adaptive CC was set to 72-76.

While the ACC is a useful feature, it seemed it may not be the best for maximizing fuel efficiency. It would brake unnecessarily (losing momentum) only for it to have to accelerate a moment later to get to the expected speed. On my own, I think my foot would coast to slow down and not need to accelerate so quickly to get back up to speed.

Like maybe it would be more efficient to just take it off Econ mode or even touch the sport mode.

Ive got my 350 mile trip home on Monday, so give me your best tips! I’m enjoying learning the car. I know when my husband drives it, he’ll just drive it normal. But I’ll enjoy learning how to make it more efficient in different situations.
Hmmm, 29 mpg is a little too low, IMO. The CRV Hybrid should do well in warm temperatures. My first tank was about 36 mpg. I do use the ACC most of the time and the car is mostly in the ECON mode. I drive approx. 50% in the hilly Piedmont and 50% in the Blue Ridge mountains (people from the Rockies: mind your own business, pls. The Appalachians are mountains). That said, I do drive more slowly than you do.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would do the same trip going home in drive and let us know what the difference is mpg wise
As the DarkKnight said turn of the ECON mode and you will find it is a much better car to drive (I think so)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·

[…]

My experiences and the wisdom of the CR-V Owners Club suggest there there are 3 ways to maximize efficiency in the CR-V hybrid:
  • Avoid short trips: even in temperate weather, I see a real difference when the vehicle is already “warmed up.” Your example trip here ticks this box.
  • Avoid driving at high speeds: the shape of the vehicle and the CR-V hybrid’s system are both poorly suited to high-speed driving (>70 miles per hour, give or take). Many complaining about the efficiency of the CR-V hybrid also complain about the “slow drivers” obstructing their path at 85+ miles per hour.
  • Avoid driving up steep inclines: there’s not really a lack of power, but the gas engine audibly works to provide that power.
Other than these specific ones, the usual tips for efficiency in all vehicles apply:
  • Drive sensibly: pay attention to changes in traffic ahead to avoid hard acceleration and hard braking
  • Maintain the vehicle: check your tire pressure regularly and perform other routine maintenance when needed.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
218 Posts
My experiences and the wisdom of the CR-V Owners Club suggest there there are 3 ways to maximize efficiency in the CR-V hybrid:
  • Avoid short trips: even in temperate weather, I see a real difference when the vehicle is already “warmed up.” Your example trip here ticks this box.
  • Avoid driving at high speeds: the shape of the vehicle and the CR-V hybrid’s system are both poorly suited to high-speed driving (>70 miles per hour, give or take). Many complaining about the efficiency of the CR-V hybrid also complain about the “slow drivers” obstructing their path at 85+ miles per hour.
  • Avoid driving up steep inclines: there’s not really a lack of power, but the gas engine audibly works to provide that power.
Other than these specific ones, the usual tips for efficiency in all vehicles apply:
  • Drive sensibly: pay attention to changes in traffic ahead to avoid hard acceleration and hard braking
  • Maintain the vehicle: check your tire pressure regularly and perform other routine maintenance when needed.
you forgot:
  • Just stay home 😂

·
Registered
54 Posts
Today I took the CRV on her first long trip only 350 miles round trip from Santa Fe to Southern Colorado with temp in mid 70’s. Basically all day trip, there are several elevation changes range from 6000 to 8500 ft high. Drove mostly on backroads and state roads up to 65 mph. Got bit over 38 mpg overall. Pretty good, I think. Would have gotten 25-27 with my older 2001 CRV on same route.

541 - 560 of 624 Posts