Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

561 - 580 of 624 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
After over 5K miles and what will soon be a year of ownership, I compared (a) my average mpg from keeping records over 15 fill-ups to (b) the Trip B computed mpg (I haven’t reset that one).
(a) reports 37.1 mpg
(b) reports 37.6 mpg
For my purposes, that’s accurate enough that I’ll likely discontinue my manual fuel logging and only return to it if something seems “off.”

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Merging this with the Master MPG discussion thread :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply, it was very informative and raised or answered several questions I've had in my mind about this car that the user's manual did not talk about!

I haven't had to do my first fill-up yet on this car, but I've always found that dividing total miles since the last fillup by gallons pumped for a fill-up (which assumes that, on average, a fill-up will fill up to about the same max capacity) shows a MPG rating about 1-2 MPG worse than what the car's trip meter showed. That's on older cars, of course, but all Honda/Acura cars (2007 Acura TSX, 2008 Acura MDX).

So the CR-V Hybrid being "too low" in its MPG reading would be very interesting!

I get this; but a short, local drive that only lasts 5-10 minutes still means the car never left that first state of "running the ICE at a higher power level to store power" and never offsetting that with the "EV mode where it burns no gas", right?

So in a "quarantine week" where I do nothing but 5-6 trips like that, it kills my overall "current fillup" fuel mileage reading with a bunch of trips on the trip meter that show in the low 20s for the MPG rating.

In the end, that's the sense I got - (very) short trips yields basically the same MPG as I would get from relying on the ICE alone, even if the underlying mechanism isn't actually operating the car on the ICE alone.

#1 amused me (if that's the right word) that the car told me the engine (which I assume meant the ICE) was not "warm enough" to enter EV mode on startup, when the car was parked in the sun in over 90F weather and my AC was blasting away.

I'm used to thinking that batteries want it COLD, not hot!

Wow, I don't think the manual ever talks about this. It only describes the meter as showing how charged the battery is, and of course if one thinks of it like the fuel gauge meter that mirrors it on the right side, one would assume that maxing it out to the top would be something that should indicate "fully prepared for long trip" or something like that.
Hi everyone. I purchased my 2020 EX-L CR-V Hybrid in June 2020. I don't understand why my MPG is only averaging 31 City and 32 Highway. I am not a leadfoot and am driving in ECON mode. I am really disappointed, as the first 4-5 months, the MPG was averaging close to 40. Thank you in advance.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Not in all circumstances. Have a read through this extensive thread :)

Reactions: sjw91

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
218 Posts
But ECON mode is suppose to IMPROVE gas mileage.
I think ECON mode may deaden the throttle response to the point where some drivers overcompensate with excessive throttle input to get the car to respond when needed. The only other supposed “economy“ is to reduce the effectiveness of the AC to the point where you probably turn the temp down to 60 trying to stay cool in the summer. Leave it in normal driving mode, except for flat constant speed highway driving.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
ECON mode throttles performance to enable the engine to use less fuel - as a consequence of that, the ECU determines that less power is needed and is why its lethargic if you try to put your foot down.

Unless driving for long distances on a flat/downward sloped road, ECON is absolutely useless for changing terrain/altitude - no matter how small the inclines/gradients are.

Reactions: EXcommunicated

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
339 Posts
Hi everyone. I purchased my 2020 EX-L CR-V Hybrid in June 2020. I don't understand why my MPG is only averaging 31 City and 32 Highway. I am not a leadfoot and am driving in ECON mode. I am really disappointed, as the first 4-5 months, the MPG was averaging close to 40. Thank you in advance.
There is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding the usefulness of the ECON mode for fuel savings. I think the general consensus is that it doesn't do much, although there are dissenting opinions.

Where do you drive, and what kind of temperatures have you had recently? In my experience, the CRV Hybrid loses 25-30% of its fuel efficiency in cold weather. Have a look at my mpg history at Fuelly, the link is below

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
44 Posts
In response to Descovy, entry #553

Daughter's softball tournament today, 90 miles away, about 80 miles of which were at speeds of 60-65 mph and most of that was on ACC. Several series of small hills. Temps were mid 60s going, and mid 70s on the way home. Econ all the way. Very little hard accelerating. Averaged 37.4 mpg. Did the same trip several weeks ago with pretty similar results (didn't use the ACC much that trip). At the time of the first trip, the car had fewer than 500 miles on it. Not sure what to say. Maybe the speed? We've been very impressed with the ACC. It's been all sorts of smooth. Maybe that doesn't perform well at higher speeds either. While this might not be the kind of stuff you want to hear, if there's some sort of problem, you'll want to know early on. I've read several times that 70 mph and above seems to be where the mpg takes a dive though. And yes, we get passed frequently. And no, we don't set the cruise for under the posted speed limit (unless it's two lanes our direction, sometimes we do then). Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So today I made the 350mi trip back home from the RGV to Houston. Like before, flat roads, moderate traffic, 80 degree temps outside. I took it off Econ mode which made a noticeable difference in acceleration. But only a minor increase in MPG... from 29.9 to 31.2.

Here I think is the BIG ISSUE. "Highway speeds" are relative to where you are. In my part of TX the speed limit is 75. That means many folks are going 80+. I have Life 360 on my college kids and they regularly drive 88-90 without even thinking about it. Honda or the EPA may think highway speeds are 65. But that's just not reality for many folks (in fact West Texas speed limit is 85). So we have to keep that in mind before we express disappointment.

This CRV (for fuel consumption) does not like 75+ mph. In fact, I had to stop for fuel before I got home from my 350mi trip. It was that bad. Once I filled up, I reset the trip odometer and drove another 40 miles (not directly home) and averaged 38.8 by not going faster than 65.

I imagine ICE cars burn excess fuel at 75mph too, but we are just not so hyper-sensitive about it in a usual ICE car.

I have to make the trip again for next month. I'm thinking I'll keep it closer to 65mph when traffic allows it (without causing a slow up behind me), and see how I do.

It was a pleasure to drive. And while at first I thought the ACC was a little gimicky, I believe it saved me a speeding ticket today at a speed trap, so there's that!

·
Registered
44 Posts
So today I made the 350mi trip back home from the RGV to Houston. Like before, flat roads, moderate traffic, 80 degree temps outside. I took it off Econ mode which made a noticeable difference in acceleration. But only a minor increase in MPG... from 29.9 to 31.2.

Here I think is the BIG ISSUE. "Highway speeds" are relative to where you are. In my part of TX the speed limit is 75. That means many folks are going 80+. I have Life 360 on my college kids and they regularly drive 88-90 without even thinking about it. Honda or the EPA may think highway speeds are 65. But that's just not reality for many folks (in fact West Texas speed limit is 85). So we have to keep that in mind before we express disappointment.

This CRV (for fuel consumption) does not like 75+ mph. In fact, I had to stop for fuel before I got home from my 350mi trip. It was that bad. Once I filled up, I reset the trip odometer and drove another 40 miles (not directly home) and averaged 38.8 by not going faster than 65.

I imagine ICE cars burn excess fuel at 75mph too, but we are just not so hyper-sensitive about it in a usual ICE car.

I have to make the trip again for next month. I'm thinking I'll keep it closer to 65mph when traffic allows it (without causing a slow up behind me), and see how I do.

It was a pleasure to drive. And while at first I thought the ACC was a little gimicky, I believe it saved me a speeding ticket today at a speed trap, so there's that!
I responded to your initial input a recent reply (maybe immediately preceding your latest, not sure). I'd mentioned speed maybe being a factor in your mpg. Now after your latest, I'm thinking that's got to be the case. I sure do understand not wanting to inhibit traffic flow, and won't do that to folks if I can avoid it. I should submit this though. We used to make a 3½ hour trip to Southern Missouri fairly frequently and would drive right on the edge of committing a felony in the name of saving time. While it was exciting, and it forced me to stay focused, it was draining to be sure. Once, and I have no idea what possessed me to do so, I decided to drive the speed limit for the entire trip. It was soooo much more relaxing, and we all felt soooo much less fatigued when we got home, that we've taken that latter approach ever since. Enter hybrid CR-V. It falls right into our new wheelhouse. Sure, we leave earlier, but we get along much better on road trips now. If that approach ends up working for you in the long haul (so to speak), cool. For those of you who need the faster game, I get it. No hating here. We all end up doing what works for us.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,741 Posts

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the EPA uses 55 mph as highway speeds for MPG ratings. Hardly relevant for us out West (except in Los Angeles) , but might be for those who live in the crowded metro areas in the East.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the EPA uses 55 mph as highway speeds for MPG ratings.
Details on the test cycles are more complicated: EPA fuel economy test cycles
I agree, though, that the tests don’t reflect current Interstate highway driving, especially in the western and/or rural US.
Top speed limits: IIHS speed limits by state
And, of course, fuel consumption isn’t the main reason to drive at a sensible speed:
IIHS speed vs crash severity

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any car over 70mph drinks (more) fuel - fact.
But not all facts are created equal.:unsure:;)

Any car needs to consume more energy per cruising mile as speed increases. But as the power needed increases in this range, gas engines also become more efficient. So from 30 mph to some speed in the vicinity of 70 mph, they can actually use less fuel per mile. The result is that EPA Highway mileage is greater than EPA City mileage. Above that certain speed, efficiency drops and you start to lose mpg faster than the increase in power would suggest.

Where that speed is depends on the car, but engineers are smart enough to make it come close to where EPA testing is done. Still, efficient or low-power cars reach it at slower speeds than inefficient or high-power ones.

Hybrids take advantage of this effect by running at higher levels of power, and saving some in the battery. And the issue here is that they can't continue this strategy past that certain speed. And again, lower power in the gas engine means the speed where it happens is lower. This why Honda's iMMD hybrids seem to lose mpg quicker than other cars, since the gas engine comprises a lower proportion of total power than other hybrids.

But it also means that holding a steady speed is more important. I have no data to confirm it, but I have always suspected that it is non-constant speed that causes most of the disappointing mpg results.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have always suspected that it is non-constant speed that causes most of the disappointing mpg results.
Speeding up and slowing down; I wonder if it's akin to running on a track on a windy day. You never seem to make up, when the wind's at your back, what you lose when the wind's in your face.

561 - 580 of 624 Posts