Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

581 - 600 of 624 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,981 Posts
Details on the test cycles are more complicated: EPA fuel economy test cycles
Great post, thank you.

So it seems as if the EPA only goes 60 MPH to determine the Highway MPG. Stuck in the days of the first Fuel Crisis, when the national speed limit was 55 MPH? :rolleyes:

+++++++++++++

I've pointed this out in the past:

Our ICE '06 V gets ~25 - 26 MPG in our 'normal' suburban driving...but only ~22 on highway trips. I'm sure that is due to wind resistance.

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring
30 Posts
If you are going to be doing a lot of highway driving at above 70 I would recommend the 1.5t model.

I got 30 mpg lifetime over the 45k I drove my 2017 EX-L (30% freeway) , and regularly got 34 mpg at around 75 - 80 mph.

I plan to keep my 2021 hybrid below 70. But even then, I expect to do poorly on a long uphill run.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
218 Posts
Just another data point - trip B, which I never reset, shows 35.1 mpg over my first 7k miles of ownership. 1.6k miles of that was extended highway drives at 65-75mph (2 x 800 miles), balance is an around town mix.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L Hybrid
28 Posts
Refueled today - just under 11 gallons in for 468 miles - so 42.5mpg - - car reporting 42.6mpg so it's really damn close!

·
Registered
1 Posts
53 m/gallon (imperial) is ± 42 m/gallon US according to convertworld.com

The 38 m/gallon I mentioned earlier aren't bad: new engine and we're allowed to drive faster on the motorway than in the US. Daytime 62 m/hr and 80 m/hr between 7PM and 6AM.
Hmmmm , Texas speed limit is 85mph and I'm sure that's in USA . Most states in USA are now 75mph

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
44 Posts
Hmmmm , Texas speed limit is 85mph and I'm sure that's in USA . Most states in USA are now 75mph
In all fairness, there's only one highway in Texas that has an 85 mph limit (Highway 130, between Austin and San Antonio), and the majority of the states carry between 65 and 70 mph these days (to the tune of 32 of them). 18 states do carry a 75 mph limit (well, a couple of those are 80 mph) though so yeah, it's more than a handful, to be sure.

·
Banned
16 Posts
after driving the vehicle 2.5 hrs for our vacation i have some updates.

1. the battery for EV is way too small and my first assessment was .5 mi too long. the vehicle can only go .25mi on battery at any speed (it will not go into ev mode over 45 mph) . i did not do enough homework and was using stats from Toyota on their statistics.

2. the lane keep assist has a 15 second timeout and shuts off unless within this time you yank on the wheel noticeably enough to register you are on the wheel. it alerts when it goes out of the lane. believe Honda added it as a bell or whistle not a good example. i clearly trusted personal reviews on my first Honda.

3. the homelink doesn’t work with ryobi garage doors.

4. the cabin has a lot of wind noise.

5. the 0-22 mph whistle to make sure people hear you coming is a great idea - except the car is almost Never in EV mode so i am assuming this is in prep for an all electric CR-V. its also a very annoying tone vice a simulated engine sound which would have been a while lot more useful.

6. the driver seat is very comfortable and i love the leg adjust

7. the brakes seem mushy and not strong enough to stop this vehicle. you have to really bear down to get it to stop.

8. the auto high beams is great!

more to come. i am curious if anyone noticed these issues as i cannot be the only person that is less than impressed with this vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
218 Posts

1. the battery for EV is way too small and my first assessment was .5 mi too long. the vehicle can only go .25mi on battery at any speed (it will not go into ev mode over 45 mph) . i did not do enough homework and was using stats from Toyota on their statistics.

2. the lane keep assist has a 15 second timeout and shuts off unless within this time you yank on the wheel noticeably enough to register you are on the wheel. it alerts when it goes out of the lane. believe Honda added it as a bell or whistle not a good example. i clearly trusted personal reviews on my first Honda.

5. the 0-22 mph whistle to make sure people hear you coming is a great idea - except the car is almost Never in EV mode so i am assuming this is in prep for an all electric CR-V. its also a very annoying tone vice a simulated engine sound which would have been a while lot more useful.

7. the brakes seem mushy and not strong enough to stop this vehicle. you have to really bear down to get it to stop.

more to come. i am curious if anyone noticed these issues as i cannot be the only person that is less than impressed with this vehicle.
1. don’t know why you would care, it’s not really meant to drive in EV mode
2. don’t notice any issue with LKA, seems to work well with no unnatural input required for it to remain active
3. no comment, works fine with my brand of opener
4. disagree
5. doesn’t bother me and the dog can hear me coming from a block away
6. agree, seats are comfortable in the Touring trim, not sure what you have
7. disagree
8. agree, like the auto high beam feature

Our CRV replaced my wife’s 3.2L 6 cylinder Audi Q5. I was worried it was going to be a real step down in terms of creature comfort and driving performance, but it’s been a pretty painless transition.

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring
30 Posts

I get into ev all the time below 22 mph or so. It doesnt last long, but it's effective at getting the car going from zero speed, and for cycling on and off at 30 - 45 mph. These things make the engine use less fuel. I have fun seeing how fast I can get to before the ICE kicks in (generally 18 - 21 mph on level ground and normal battery level.) If driven aggressively, the engine will start up much earlier.

I've also seen it cycle to ev at up to 55 mph, but of course it didn't last long at that speed.

Just filled up my first full tank. Just under 500 miles and 44 mpg. But i do drive carefully.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts

Read Honda's brochure on the Hybrid. This car is NOT an EV. :rolleyes:

The point of this system is NOT to drive automatically - thats what the driver is there for 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

And this is Honda's problem how?

Subjective nonsense. It doesnt.

See Point 1 - its NOT AN EV.

The sky is often blue on a cloud free day.

Use your feet?

The sky is not blue on an overcast day....

Honestly, your continual whining about the CR-V Hybrid is completely spoiling this section. Get rid of the car. Its evident you dont like it. Do us all a favour.

Reactions: sjw91

·
Banned
16 Posts

Read Honda's spec sheet on the Hybrid. This car is NOT an EV. :rolleyes:

The point of this system is NOT to drive automatically - thats what the driver is there for 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

And this is Honda's problem how?

Subjective nonsense. It doesnt.

See Point 1 - its NOT AN EV.

The sky is often blue on a cloud free day.

Use your feet?

The sky is not blue on an overcast day....

Honestly, your continual whining about the CR-V Hybrid is completely spoiling this section. Get rid of the car. Its evident you dont like it. Do us all a favour.
love it! its not an EV - you are right! its also not much of a hybrid imho either! for an additional $6-8k over standard engine its a complete snow job and im willing to admit i got scammed! compared to my Chevy truck, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Camaro, Mazda3 its very noisy. it may be you love the car too much to see its flaws. and yeah - from speed it requires a serious hard push to stop this vehicle compared to cars above.

i do like the no touch back opening

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
love it! its not an EV - you are right! its also not much of a hybrid imho either! for an additional $6-8k over standard engine its a complete snow job and im willing to admit i got scammed!
This is the last exchange on the matter as you are spoiling this thread - any further complaints/posts ANYWHERE on this site from you will simply be deleted henceforth without warning - you've had ample opportunity to answer questions I posed prior which you simply failed to answer, despite me and others wanting to help you. Its clear you are here only to whine and not learn.

If you (allegedly) know its not an EV, why then complain about the battery size? Its a perfectly good Hybrid - again, read Honda's supporting material if you can be bothered to step away from your keyboard for more than a minute.

And you didnt get scammed - you were either too ignorant or simply naive when buying WITHOUT clearly having done ANY research. 🙄🤦‍♂️

compared to my Chevy truck, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Camaro, Mazda3 its very noisy. it may be you love the car too much to see its flaws. and yeah - from speed it requires a serious hard push to stop this vehicle compared to cars above.
Again, the noise issue is subjective - you bleating like a lamb about it doesnt make it any more true than if I start proclaiming the Earth is flat or the Moon is made of cheese.

As for speed, the Hybrid is NOT a Civic Type-R. Its designed from the ground up for efficiency, not to break lap times round the bloody Nurburgring or set shortest braking distance records.

·
Registered
54 Posts
its not an EV - you are right! its also not much of a hybrid imho either! for an additional $6-8k over standard engine its a complete snow job and im willing to admit i got scammed! compared to my Chevy truck, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Camaro, Mazda3 its very noisy.
Actually it’s only $1200 extra for hybrid over an AWD ICE with same trim. Very noisy? Be sure to close all windows while driving and use automatic climate control, it’s pretty quiet.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
339 Posts
love it! its not an EV - you are right! its also not much of a hybrid imho either! for an additional $6-8k over standard engine its a complete snow job and im willing to admit i got scammed! compared to my Chevy truck, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Camaro, Mazda3 its very noisy. it may be you love the car too much to see its flaws. and yeah - from speed it requires a serious hard push to stop this vehicle compared to cars above.

i do like the no touch back opening
I agree that the CRV is not a great hybrid for 4 reasons that I am too tired to list (again), but it's definitely not $6-8K more expensive ... not where we live, anyway. I think the difference is about $1.5K between CRV Hybrid and CRV 1.5T with AWD.

Here is an idea: if it is very noisy, maybe your noise cancellation doodad is not working correctly? I do not find it noisy per se, but the engine does tend to rev at scarily high RPM to handle some relatively benign situations like e.g. climbing a 7-8% grade at a steady 55 mph.

I would suggest that perhaps you should consider getting rid of it, now that the car market is brisk. I have had Blanda for 9 months now and I just haven't been able to make peace with a few little idiosyncrasies. If all goes to the plan, I'll be getting rid of it in the next few months, thus ending my Honda experiment as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree that the CRV is not a great hybrid for 4 reasons that I am too tired to list (again), but it's definitely not $6-8K more expensive ... not where we live, anyway. I think the difference is about $1.5K between CRV Hybrid and CRV 1.5T with AWD.

Here is an idea: if it is very noisy, maybe your noise cancellation doodad is not working correctly? I do not find it noisy per se, but the engine does tend to rev at scarily high RPM to handle some relatively benign situations like e.g. climbing a 7-8% grade at a steady 55 mph.

I would suggest that perhaps you should consider getting rid of it, now that the car market is brisk. I have had Blanda for 9 months now and I just haven't been able to make peace with a few little idiosyncrasies. If all goes to the plan, I'll be getting rid of it in the next few months, thus ending my Honda experiment as well.
seriously. The used car market is nuts right now. I just bought my car new for less than it was being sold used.

Carvana will take it off your hands and depending on how good a deal you got, you might even make money. It’s an unprecedented situation right now. Heck, I just sold an old car to Carmax. The quote went up in value over 2 weeks. When before have used cars ever been an appreciating asset???

As for me, I never expect a car to be perfect (at least in this price point) And sharing some real world disappointments is valuable to those researching the car. Because the glossy ads will tell you none of this stuff.

But if you are truly dissatisfied with the car, there is no time like the present to get rid of it.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,981 Posts
3. the homelink doesn’t work with Ryobi garage doors.

Call your garage door company. Some opener systems need a special interface module to operate with Homelink units. (That is a Homelink glitch, not a Honda glitch.)

Reactions: sjw91

·
Registered
2021 EX-L Hybrid
28 Posts
My opinions/observations after 9400 miles.

2. ...you yank on the wheel noticeably enough to register you are on the wheel. IMHO this is an exaggeration - - simply keep your thumbs or fingers resting lightly on the wheel.

5. ...except the car is almost Never in EV mode so i am assuming... If you are almost never in EV mode, that says more about how you are driving the car vs. the car itself. Smooth, efficient driving is rewarded with plenty of EV time and excellent MPG - accompanied by the voices of the angels :)

7. ...the brakes seem mushy and not strong enough to stop this vehicle. Much of your braking is regen from the electric motor. It feels different, although Honda has mimicked it well. The vehicle stops just fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
With all due respect, what you need to "update" are your naive expectations. What you think a Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) should be, and what it actually is, are quite different things. The best example of this is...

The battery is appropriately sized for an HEV. It would be small in a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle), but then again, you did not pay the additional $6-8k over a comparable ICE version of the same car, that is the minimum a BEV would command.

Oh, wait. That is exactly what you claimed:
for an additional $6-8k over standard engine its a complete snow job and im willing to admit i got scammed!
So what are we to believe here? Either you are a complete idiot who cannot subtract $29,360 (today's starting price of a 1.5L turbo AWD CR-V EX) from $30,560 (hybrid CR-V) to get $1,200, you are a complete idiot who paid over $4K more than you should have, you are lying about owning a hybrid CR-V, or you are lying about what you paid for it. I'm open to a different interpretation, but these are all I see from what you have said so far.
  • Actually, that $1,200 may be a little low. Since 2018, when the Accord came out with this exact same power train, the price premium for the hybrid system has been $1,600 across the board. So either the hybrid CR-V contains $400 dollars worth of upgrades, or there has been a price drop.
  • But then, the hybrid is a more powerful system. Acknowledging that it is subjective, I have estimated from the price of the 1.5L-to-2.0L upgrade in the Accord, that this is worth between $500 and $700. So the premium I paid for my Accord was between $900 and $1,100. At $2.50/gallon, and only using the records I have kept starting at 6K miles, I have saved $500 in gas. With more realistic numbers, it is paid off.

2. the lane keep assist has a 15 second timeout and shuts off unless within this time you yank on the wheel noticeably enough to register you are on the wheel. it alerts when it goes out of the lane. believe Honda added it as a bell or whistle not a good example. i clearly trusted personal reviews on my first Honda
I can't say what you have experienced, but I know of no 15-second timeout. My LKAS never shuts off unless I do it. And in expert reviews, Honda's system gets good marks. So again, I think this is your naive expectations versus reality.

Homelink is a recognized standard that should work with all brands of cars and openers that claim to support it. Honda does, and I can only assume Ryobi does. Why should I not expect user error, especially when this user has demonstrated that he is prone to it? (30K-29K=5K to 6 K).

i am curious if anyone noticed these issues as i cannot be the only person that is less than impressed with this vehicle.
I am curious if you are fishing to find people who want to slam Honda as much as you do.

Read Honda's spec sheet on the Hybrid. This car is NOT an EV. :rolleyes:
<Sigh.> Spec sheets don't say what a car is not.

But the problem here, is the confusion between "Battery Electric Vehicle" and "Electric Vehicle." An EV is one that uses electricity for propulsion. HEVs and BEVs are the most common examples, and that includes the CR-V hybrid. Which explains the "EV" in "HEV."

Those who want to accelerate the transition to BEVs are concerned about how the energy is obtained - charging the battery from the grid - not in how the car is propelled. So they should be talking about battery vehicles, not electric vehicles. Still, the error is common. So Honda calls them "electrified."

This even explains bc-annoying's problem with range. He is confusing reliance on electricirty, with reliance on charge put into a battery.

Reactions: EXcommunicated

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
<Sigh.> Spec sheets don't say what a car is not.
I meant to refer to the brochure, not spec sheet 👌

Original response updated for clarity. :)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
So either the hybrid CR-V contains $400 dollars worth of upgrades, or there has been a price drop.
The CR-V hybrid does include a few niceties including LED headlights, additional noise insulation, and everyone's favorite robo-choir.

I can't say what you have experienced, but I know of no 15-second timeout. My LKAS never shuts off unless I do it. And in expert reviews, Honda's system gets good marks. So again, I think this is your naive expectations versus reality.
I may be misinterpreting here, but I read this complaint to mean that the lane-keeping system doesn't allow you to keep your hands off the steering wheel for more than 15 seconds. If that's what the user meant, I applaud Honda for not encouraging drivers to abandon their responsibility to control the vehicle.

581 - 600 of 624 Posts