Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Sounds normal to me. It is both time and mileage dependent.
Yup, I'm approaching 3500 miles and I'm at 60%.
In addition to time and mileage, temperature, number of start cycles and probably other undisclosed factors are used.
I figure they put a lot of attention to the MM, I'll go with it, at least as long as I'm under warranty.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
The MM will tell you when to change the oil.

Until then, forget about it and just....drive :)

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Heh.. due to the pandemic and very little driving.. I have like 700 or so miles on my current oil and it is down to 10% life, so it will get changed shortly.

The reason it is 10% at this point... been almost a year since I last changed my oil.. and the MM WILL trigger an A or B code for an oil change at the end of one year, even if you literally never drove the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX-L Hybrid - Sonic Grey Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
FWIW, my MM didn't hit 10% until 11k+ because I drive 2500 miles a month. Took just over 4 months.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
three things you can do is do it by Mileage,, 1 year, or what you personally feel like, or listen to others and their recommendations. you got a Turbo, then by all means do not delay oil changes to go forever. that said let us know when it comes to your change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi everyone, my 2021 hybrid currently has 4K miles and the oil reading is at 70%. Is that normal? As far as I can remember my 2018 crv had to have oil changes every 5k miles or so. Is the hybrid different? Appreciate any info.
First oil change? Do it by 6K to get the particles from mfg. out. After 9 months and 2K miles, I did oil analysis @ Blackstone Labs. Viscosity was at the lower limit. Various contaminants from Manufacture in the oil. Changed it out for AMS Signature oil and a Dimple Products rare earth magnetic oil plug. I bought, didn't lease so want it to last.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats not what Honda recommends.
It all depends if you buy or lease the vehicle. Lease? Go the 10K miles the minder tells you. Then get the oil tested at Blackstone labs. I changed my initial oil in the hybrid @ 2K miles after 9 months and had it tested. Based on the oil analysis, it was time to change it. Contaminants in the oil and low viscosity.[/QUOTE]

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
It all depends if you buy or lease the vehicle.
Irrelevant how you buy the car.

The MM will tell/alert when the oil needs changing - not the arbitrary 6K number that is often bandied about.

Reactions: REBELhybrid

·
Registered
215 Posts
Irrelevant how you buy the car.

The MM will tell/alert when the oil needs changing - not the arbitrary 6K number that is often bandied about.
OK, that's your opinion, which is fine. Having had 23 cars over 45 years of driving has shown me, through experience, that changing your oil more often is good for engine life. The objective evidence, not opinions, is demonstrated during oil testing. I use Blackstone labs. Do a test - test oil at the end of the MM and do it at 6K miles. I had two BMWs and the recommendation was to change the oil every 6 months or 6K miles. But, if putting off the oil change to save a few dollars is important, use the MM.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
142 Posts
OK, that's your opinion, which is fine. Having had 23 cars over 45 years of driving has shown me, through experience, that changing your oil more often is good for engine life. The objective evidence, not opinions, is demonstrated during oil testing. I use Blackstone labs. Do a test - test oil at the end of the MM and do it at 6K miles. I had two BMWs and the recommendation was to change the oil every 6 months or 6K miles. But, if putting off the oil change to save a few dollars is important, use the MM.
Well, actually it’s the manufacturer’s opinion.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,679 Posts
The point being made by some regarding oil change intervals when one owns the vehicle versus leasing is this:

A person leasing a vehicle will most likely be done with it at 36,000 miles, before any damage might occur from extended oil change intervals, and doesn't care what potential damage might occur after they they turn it in at lease end. I doubt anyone leasing a vehicle cares about having the oil tested.

A person owning the vehicle might intend to keep it long term, so following (or exceeding) the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations should provide peace of mind regarding trouble free ownership.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The point being made by some regarding oil change intervals when one owns the vehicle versus leasing is this:

A person leasing a vehicle will most likely be done with it at 36,000 miles, before any damage might occur from extended oil change intervals, and doesn't care what potential damage might occur after they they turn it in at lease end. I doubt anyone leasing a vehicle cares about having the oil tested.

A person owning the vehicle might intend to keep it long term, so following (or exceeding) the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations should provide peace of mind regarding trouble free ownership.
Correct JB, thanks for explaining that. If you buy a $30K+ vehicle, the incremental cost to change the oil sooner than the mfg tells you will extend the engine life.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Correct JB, thanks for explaining that. If you buy a $30K+ vehicle, the incremental cost to change the oil sooner than the mfg tells you will extend the engine life.
I get which old school you are coming from here.. and that is fine.. but... keep in mind.. with modern synthetic oil blends, and their highly detergent qualities....more frequent oil changes actually results in more wear on engine internal surfaces than simply following the MM.

How can this be you ask? Tribochemical effects of the various additives in the oil. The high detergent characteristics of these modern oils does have a chemical scrubbing effect that does in fact pull metal particles from the engine internals. In other words... if you test your frequently changed oil, you will generally see higher measured metals in your oil analysis compared to an owner who follows the MM on their CRV. Will it destroy your engine doing more frequent oil changes ... NO. Do more frequent oil changes preserve your engine internals better.. NO... because Tribochemical effects.

Tribochemistry

As a fellow old schooler...... let me leave you with this: Oil for use in motor vehicles has evolved greatly over the years, as have engines.. and I suggest you consider evolving with them. I have, and I follow the MM.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
So I neglect my Lease car? No I treat it like I own it. 11 years later my leased car is with me. and if you want to change it when ever by all means do so.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,679 Posts
So I neglect my Lease car? No I treat it like I own it. 11 years later my leased car is with me. and if you want to change it when ever by all means do so.
The norm on leased vehicles is to turn them in at lease end and lease another. But, we already know that you are not the norm @fishycomics ! And I mean this in a good way. :) BUT, my point was that many vehicles that are leased may not have the oil changed earlier than MM indicates, and some may be even at a longer interval...often the lease-driver doesn't care, as they will be done with it at 36,000 miles.

Personally, if I leased, which I have never done, I would follow the MM, as I do on my owned vehicles. I remember 3,000 mile oil changes, then 5,000 miles. Actually, I don't remember what the interval was on my first car, but it didn't even have an oil filter! (55 Chevy 265 CID V8 bought new by my day in Sept 1955)
From Wikipedia, re: 1955 Chevrolet "...However, the new small block engine in the '55 Chevy had some early teething issues. Some problems existed with cracked pistons, there was no integrated oil filter, so an external bypass filter was offered as a factory or dealer option. Those who did not order the engine with the "oil filter option" dealt with a high frequency of oil changes."

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
The norm on leased vehicles is to turn them in at lease end and lease another. But, we already know that you are not the norm @fishycomics ! And I mean this in a good way. :) BUT, my point was that many vehicles that are leased may not have the oil changed earlier than MM indicates, and some may be even at a longer interval...often the lease-driver doesn't care, as they will be done with it at 36,000 miles.

Personally, if I leased, which I have never done, I would follow the MM, as I do on my owned vehicles. I remember 3,000 mile oil changes, then 5,000 miles. Actually, I don't remember what the interval was on my first car, but it didn't even have an oil filter! (55 Chevy 265 CID V8 bought new by my day in Sept 1955)
From Wikipedia, re: 1955 Chevrolet "...However, the new small block engine in the '55 Chevy had some early teething issues. Some problems existed with cracked pistons, there was no integrated oil filter, so an external bypass filter was offered as a factory or dealer option. Those who did not order the engine with the "oil filter option" dealt with a high frequency of oil changes."
We lease, we do not neglect. How we are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my car with 8000 miles on it. I am now at 15000 with 40% oil life left. Is this a broken Maintenance Minder or normal for the hybrid? I never owned a hybrid before. I live in Michigan and the dealer is saying every 5,000 miles.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Completely normal.

The MM will countdown even if the car is never driven.

The dealer should know better. Oil changes are NOT every 5000 miles - its paced solely by the MM. Even says so in the manual.

Based on that poor comms on their part, I'd be finding a better dealer for future maintenance needs.

Reactions: Avisitor
21 - 40 of 51 Posts