Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm working on a car audio project in my 2008 CRV and laying out some ways to route my wires. I'm looking to put a powered sub woofer under the seat; nothing over the top just enough to give the stereo some depth. While doing this I kept hitting this cross member that is under the seat so I was messing around and pulled mack the carpet in this location and saw this metal pan about 4"-5" wide and maybe 12" or so long and it looks like a type of heat shield or something thin. There was a cable or black tube going under it and I was thinking it was maybe something to do with the emergency break system but I'm not sure. Do you guys have a free source for drawings so maybe I can identify this stuff without removing the seats and pealing back all the carpeting?

Thanks,
Teak

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I do not recommend you install a sub under the driver's seat. It can cause vision distortion, as well as hearing issues, which you do not want when driving (or ever). Put it under a seat where no one ever sits.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Vision distortion is caused by low frequency vibration. Aural overload can hide or cover up what else is going on in your driving environment. Also, this is an issue even when just now and then. Long term effects can be very damaging. They have also been found to cause elevated stress levels, just like high noise levels in the workplace do. Low frequency sound levels also cause elevated adrenaline responses. I have a lot of experience with audio testing on human ears, as my eldest son is deaf. He's now a high-ranking professor at one of the nation's leading deaf studies departments, at Baylor University, which, among other things does extensive leading edge testing and research. He is a world-recognized expert and has traveled all over the world in the field, helping other nations' programs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not recommend you install a sub under the driver's seat. It can cause vision distortion, as well as hearing issues, which you do not want when driving (or ever). Put it under a seat where no one ever sits.
I totally get this.
I am not a young guy and not looking to rock the neighborhood just want to hear and fill in the lower musical notes.
Also. isn't this exactly the same place where Honda mounts their factory SubWoofer; under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yes, but the OEM sub is pretty weak, so there's that. I'd say the passenger seat is fine, better than the driver's seat. I'm going to try to put mine under the back seats if possible. As a side note, I've always found that Honda took an interesting approach with the Element sub mounted inside the lower front center console. But I've never had the opportunity to hear one, so I can't say much else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts