Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear this metal-rubbing-metal kind of sound when I make very sharp turns (wheel turned all the way for a u-turn, for example). I think it's coming from the front passenger side wheel area. Any idea what it could be? Someone suggested to me that it might just be a worn wheel stopper. I figured if that's the case, there's bound to be some other owners of older CRVs that have encountered the issue before. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I'd hate to take it to the shop if it's something simple I can fix myself.

My CRV: 1999 CRV LX AWD MT

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jack up the front of the vehicle, remove the wheels, and look for shiny areas in the wheel well and on the tires themselves. That's where the rubbing occurs. It could be the metal backing plate where the brakes are mounted too. In which case all you have to do is pry it away and you're good to go. (Warning: don't crawl under the car unless it's on good, strong car stands.)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Sometimes the noise is the rear differential and it actually sounds like it is coming from the front right wheel area.
Usually just a drain and fill of the rear differential fixes the problem. Search in this forum on how to do it. On a friend's 2000 CRV it sounded like a metallic screeching or rubbing sound coming from the right front when doing a slow tight turn and it actually was the rear diffy. Drained it, filled it with Honda DP2 fluid and did the 'burnishing' technique and it worked just fine.
There are good write ups in this forum about that problem.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I should've mentioned that my brother-in-law recently replaced my front pads and rotors for me and we didn't see any rub spots in the wheel wells or on the tires. So I guess I'll try the differential fluid change suggestion. In doing some reading about that, it does seem like it could be the culprit.

If it wasn't the middle of winter, I might try changing the fluid myself. I don't have a garage, though, so any DIY would have to wait until spring. I called around and got a $59 quote at a local shop, which seems reasonable enough. I'll get that done this week and report back about whether or not it solves the problem.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
On a hoist, it will only take them around 10 min or less. Just make sure they use the genuine Honda DP2 fluid, as far as I've read about it.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, the rear diff noise is pretty weird, I was getting it too whenever I'd make a slow sharp turn into a parking spot. I would have bet money on it coming from the front wheels rubbing the inner fenders, but nope, the internet said rear diff. The dealer said rear diff. And changing the fluid in the rear diff made the noise go away.

Damnably weird.

·
Registered
71 Posts
all good suggestions above, but you might also check if there is any play in the front wheel bearings. Sometimes if the bearings are shot it will allow the hub to move enough so the disk rotor rubs against the inside of the caliper. A bad bearing by itself can also make a terible rasping sounds.

Easiest way to check is jack up the front wheels and see if you can wiggle the tire on the hub. If there is any play between the hub and the steering knuckle than likely the bearing is shot. double check by pulling the wheel off and turn the spindle by hand, it if feels rough the bearing is worn out and destroying itself.

I have replaced lots of wheel bearings, unless you have the proper tools however it might be best to let a shop take care of it. Sometimes you can save yourself some money by removing the steering knuckle (that contains the bearing) and take it to a shop to press out the old bearing and seal and install a new one. but unless you are comfortable with doing such work, best leave it to a competent shop. Replacing a wheel bearing is not too costly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes the noise is the rear differential and it actually sounds like it is coming from the front right wheel area.
Usually just a drain and fill of the rear differential fixes the problem.
I had the rear differential fluid changed today (using the Honda Dual Pump II fluid) and whatdya know, that did the trick! Thank you so much. I can now make u-turns without my car groaning like it's in pain :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts