Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Mice, too! What about the heater core and downstream?

452 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Traylaw
Perhaps due to consistent, heavy rains (and no driving for 2+ weeks), mice had taken up residence in our 2006 CR-V, which was discovered yesterday (after a 60 mi drive) in the glove box as a giant (grapefruit-size) nest covering half the space. The nest contained shredded paper towel (sourced from the trunk), dark gray fiber (presumed as carpet, but source not found yet), and pink and yellow tufts of fiberglass insulation. There was no nest on the cabin air filter, but there was evidence of the fiberglass tufts caught in the dash grille vents, and I pulled small hand-fulls out of the blower wheel. I am impressed with mouse resourcefulness and industry.

I've read many of the posts here on the mice subject, so am aware of the need to screen the fresh air intake opening in the firewall (I think I can gain access). I've also read of removing the blower to clear it of debris, and found sources elsewhere (youtube) on how to remove the grille vents in the dash in order to clear the fiberglass debris.

So my remaining questions are these:
1) Does anyone have an inkling of how the mice exited the A/C ducting into the underside of the dash (and cabin)?
2) What is the likely source of the pink and yellow fiberglass? (Sorry, I've cleaned much of it out and have no photos to share).
3) How would the mice have gotten around the filter and blower (and heater) to release fiberglass debris into the ducts ending at the vent grilles (or did it pass through the heater core?- seemed too large to have done that!)?
4) Given the evidence (fiberglass in grille vents), is it likely that the heater core has impacted fiberglass in it, and if so, anyone have thoughts on clearing it? (I don't know where that is yet, other than downstream of filter and blower).
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,557 Posts
Your 2006 came with a cabin filters. Are they still installed, not chewed?

I'd be inspecting the engine intake tract, too. Use a vacuum to suck debris out from the direction it entered.

I've worked on cars that were infested, the source of the material is always a mystery...you would need to ask the mice where they obtain their debris. :rolleyes: ;) Doesn't have to be in the car, but I'd be inspecting under the carpet , seats, and 'picnic table' in the back.

Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your 2006 came with a cabin filters. Are they still installed, not chewed?

I'd be inspecting the engine intake tract, too. Use a vacuum to suck debris out from the direction it entered.

I've worked on cars that were infested, the source of the material is always a mystery...you would need to ask the mice where they obtain their debris. :rolleyes: ;) Doesn't have to be in the car, but I'd be inspecting under the carpet , seats, and 'picnic table' in the back.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. Filters not chewed (nor nested upon),

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reported my invasion problem last week, for a 2006 CR-V. I have since found 3x the mouse lair above the A/C system through the firewall, and within the fresh air intake cowl. My opening through the firewall is about a 5 x 8 HORIZONTAL (not vertical) opening with rounded corners; this will make a difference in how I proceed with a screen over the opening (more later on that).

I've discovered that the recirculation damper has a relief (or backdraft) damper in its face, some 5"L x 1.25" wide, made of a flexible black fabric which was chewed off by more an 50%. My question is:
  1. What is the purpose of this damper-within-a-damper (seems to prevent fresh air from coming into the cabin when in Full Recirc mode, but would relieve excess pressure from the cabin (from what?)?
  2. It appears that I would have to buy the full damper & filter assembly to get this piece )not gonna do, it's like $150). Does anyone know of an alternative place for just the precut damper fabric, or I can make my own if I can determine the fabric?

· Registered
505 Posts
Strange how us lowly car owners have to do the engineering that auto manufactures have no clue about. Kinda proves that an engineering degree to design any part an automobile body is just a waste of time. There are some old time highschool dropouts that can do a much better job, especially when it comes to things auto engineers haven't been able to do for over 100 years. And no I am not talking about anyone on this website. I'm talking about people I know.

· Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,126 Posts
Strange how us lowly car owners have to do the engineering that auto manufactures have no clue about. Kinda proves that an engineering degree to design any part an automobile body is just a waste of time. There are some old time highschool dropouts that can do a much better job, especially when it comes to things auto engineers haven't been able to do for over 100 years. And no I am not talking about anyone on this website. I'm talking about people I know.
Hum, doubt if they can design an affordable car and a factory that can assemble them in 17 hours. Of course if you want a well engineered vehicle that spares no expense. Bugati has them at 3 million a pop, a little out of my budget though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts