Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this new-model Michelin yet? Interesting tread pattern (and characteristics)

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/cross-climate-suv

The CrossClimate SUV features an all-season compound molded into a highly-directional tread pattern with nearly solid transverse ribs for handling stability and dry traction. Wide lateral grooves and open shoulders provide a direct path to evacuate water from beneath the contact patch for hydroplaning resistance, while the bevel-edged tread blocks provide grip on damp surfaces. 3D self-locking sipes create additional biting edges for foul-weather traction, and Emerging Grooves in the shoulder help retain confident winter traction as the tire wears. The biting edges combined with the specialized compound deliver the traction needed to receive the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol (3PMSF).

The internal construction of the CrossClimate SUV consists of a single-ply polyester casing supporting two steel belts. A polyamide reinforcement aids in handling performance and provides high-speed durability.

Note: While non-winter tires featuring the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol (3PMSF) provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.
^^ this info from Tire Rack

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I bet those sing on the freeway, but, I could be wrong.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet those sing on the freeway, but, I could be wrong.
My experience suggests the same... that's why I was wondering about owners' experience.

But there could be some not-so-obvious countermeasures against highway noise.

·
2,814 Posts
Wow, well, that is definitely a wild looking tire, no two ways about it. Does look like it could be noisy, but who knows? I thought that about European tread tires too and I was wrong, they were quieter. Hmmm. I don't see them available around here locally, so I'll wait and see what owners say, since I probably won't jump till Spring anyway. Interesting tire, though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tirerack has 1 review, 5k mi. on a 2012 Honda Pilot - gave it a 4.7.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Snow tires for 2017 CRV EX-L

I have not tried Michelin. Have a 2017 CRV EX-L. The 18" Bridgestone mud and snow tires that came on the car are horrible. I have about 27,000 miles and they are getting near the ned of their tread life. After spinning out on I-80 in the Tahoe area in a snowstorm, I bought new 17" rims with Bridgestone Blizzac tires. What an improvement! My local Honda dealer told me going to a 17" wheel from the standard 18" was OK, all I have to do is recalibrate the TPMS system when I change tires. So far the new tires are great!!

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
426 Posts
those are pretty good looking tires , I put the goodyear weatherready on 6 months ago on both my 05 and the wifes 06 and they do very well in the snow and ice

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 CRV EXL and am 17K miles and OEMs are done, which is frustrating. I am looking at the Michelins. I also have a Kia Sorrento 2011 and the last two sets of Michelins I put on only lasted 27K miles. The last set I purchased at Sam's Club and they did give me a warranty adjustment towards a new set of Michelins. The AWD cars really chew the tires. I hate spending $800 on a set of tires that will only last two years. I live in a snowy climate and tires are important in the winter.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Interesting comment (Tire Rack Test Results) about Pirelli Scorpion Verde at TireRack.com regarding their testing, comparing and "What We Would Improve".

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE SUV
August 9, 2019
Tires Tested
Continental CrossContact LX25(Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season, 235/60R18 107V)
  • What We Liked: It's comfortable, capable, well-balanced.
  • What We'd Improve: The ride could use a little better motion control, and we'd like slightly more engaging steering/handling.
  • Conclusion: A relaxed and gentle cruiser.
Michelin CrossClimate SUV(Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season, 235/60R18 107V)
  • What We Liked: Sharp handling on the road plus test-leading braking and lateral grip in the dry and the wet.
  • What We'd Improve: The ride is a little firm; some tread growl is always present.
  • Conclusion: Feels sporty, and has the performance to back it up.
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II(Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season, 235/60R18 107V)
  • What We Liked: It's smooth and quiet on the road, nice to drive in the dry, strong in the wet.
  • What We'd Improve: It doesn't need anything, but we'll always take more.
  • Conclusion: Pirelli's improvements make this one just right.

·
2,814 Posts
I have those exact Pirellis in 255/55/R18 on my '07. They seem to be wearing like iron, and the size does look great on the car. But they are exceedingly loud/noisy, and stiff-riding and handling. But I think that is mostly likely due to the (to me) too large size. They have done quite well otherwise, though. I was put off when I first got the car but have had some time to get used to them, and they actually grew on me. The car handles like it's on rails. Still, I have found and picked up a set of stock alloys and will switch back to the stock size and Michelins when I get there. The biggest reason? In the size I have now, a set is literally one third more money! Not worth it to me, just for appearance. Also, I expect the stock size ones will be quieter, softer, smoother, and less taxing on the stock suspension. Plus hopefully better fuel mileage.

·
2,814 Posts
Hmmm. I checked yesterday and the Cross Climates are now available here, though they must be ordered. Excellent price, though. $147 per tire, as compared to the Defender T&H at $174. Might have to consider them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have those exact Pirellis in 255/55/R18 on my '07. They seem to be wearing like iron, and the size does look great on the car. But they are exceedingly loud/noisy, and stiff-riding and handling. But I think that is mostly likely due to the (to me) too large size. They have done quite well otherwise, though. I was put off when I first got the car but have had some time to get used to them, and they actually grew on me. The car handles like it's on rails. Still, I have found and picked up a set of stock alloys and will switch back to the stock size and Michelins when I get there. The biggest reason? In the size I have now, a set is literally one third more money! Not worth it to me, just for appearance. Also, I expect the stock size ones will be quieter, softer, smoother, and less taxing on the stock suspension. Plus hopefully better fuel mileage.
Has anyone tried this new-model Michelin yet? Interesting tread pattern (and characteristics)

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/cross-climate-suv

^^ this info from Tire Rack
Yes, I’ve had them on my car for about 2 months now. 2017 CRV Touring. I have to say it is a totally different ride for the better. My OEM tires on the vehicle were Hankook, but the CrossClimate gives the car a much softer ride. Handling in dry & wet has been excellent. My only concern is how long that will last?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts