Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am reading a local winter tire test right now and they have also included CrossClimates as "summer tire". All the rest are actual snow tires, studded and non-studded.

The CrossClimates are trailing a little bit behind the worst (Chinese) brands in every winter category and far behind on plain ice but beat everything else on wet and dry pavement by a long margin.

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
53 Posts
I just installed a set of 4 CrossClimate SUVs on my 15 CRV Touring at Mavis Tire last night. I had over 109,000 miles at installation.
I removed Michelin Latitude HPs.
I did not hear any additional noise while driving to work (130+ miles) this morning; however I do listen to the XM radio during the commute.
I hope these handle well during the winter months commute since I can never get home from work fast enough (while driving safe) during bad weather.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just discovered these CrossClimate tires on the review sites as I am not starting to search for tires on my 2017 CR-V (originals still on it at a little over 33K miles). I was leaning towards the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus II since we had the previous version on an old Pilot (which were pretty good), but this '17 CR-V is being passed to my twin teens to share. Chicago-area winter scares the $hit out of me with them driving which is why I'm leaning towards these more expensive CrossClimates. I don't care about losing MPG (the kids can pay for the gas) but want something reliable and safe for at least 3-4 years if possible.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There's no drop in mpg compared to my previous regular Continentals.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My experience with snows VS MPG is that the drop is negligible.

Remember that during 'snow tire season' we have more cold-weather starts, which also diminishes fuel mileage. I'm currently 'using up' a set of almost new snows (running them the past two summers) and my MPG documentation shows 0.25 MPG less than previous summers on my worn out all-season tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last November, My 12 CR-V was running on it's second set of OEM Bridgestones at 88K miles.
I took a chance on Kumho Crugen HT51 for under $600. These are cheap Chinese tires but I have been very happy with their performance over the past 5,000 miles.
I drive fast and often to the edge of traction on curved roads and highway ramps. Dry traction and control are better than the OEM. Wet traction is as good or better. I have not had opportunity to do any significant snow/ice driving.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
Kumho Crugen HT51 for under $600. These are cheap Chinese tires
Korean. I have been using Kumho quite a bit in my fleet, half a dozen sets definitely. I have a set of studless ones currently on my work van (for winter), no complaints. Also had a set of studded winter tires on my 2008 CR-V. It's a conscious decision as they last longer than full Nordic compound, for the price of being a little more slippery.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't had an issue with the Korean Kumho tires. The ones I've used have been good quality, and have lasted many many miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
their from S. Korea, actually not bad tires..i put some Ks on my Dodge Ram 2500 after tire rack rated them #1 in that category even against Michelin,,so far Im happy after running Michs for years..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Consumer Reports currently gives Michelin Cross Climates their highest score (75) among all tires wet weather applications. They actually call them "King of the Wet Road".

They are not cheap though... and General Altimax RT43 is half the price and gets a second place score of 70 from CR.

The critical tests in the CR suite of tire tests... where wet weather is concerned, is stopping performance from 60 to 0 on a wet road surface, resistance to hydroplaning, and road noise.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts