Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set of Michelin tires to replace my Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422's. I'm looking at either the Michelin Defender T+H or the new CrossClimate SUV. This is for a 2012 CR-V AWD that'll be driven in southern Virginia.

Any thoughts on these two options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
140 Posts
106,000+ mile on a 2012 and my 2nd set of Michelin Defender T & H. Lots of tread left on the 2nd set...they're quiet, great traction and go a long time on a set.

Reactions: RavenManiac

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'd go with the Defender T& H - it has the longer mileage warranty and here is a bit cheaper. I would never buy a Continental tire - poor quality. No other brand compares to Michelin, sorry. Michelin invented the radial tire and perfected the best mold to make it. Nothing else comes close.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,581 Posts
Both tires by Michelin are great on a CRV. The Cross Climate though, gets Consumer Reports Top rating in tires, and in Michelin tires.

Only downside to Michelins is they are pricey compared to some other brands, but generally speaking you do get what you pay for where tires are concerned. Personally, I only put Michelins on my vehicles.

Keep in mind.. on an AWD vehicle, particularly SUVs/CUVs... you likely will NOT get the warranty specified mileage on any tire, Michelin or other brands. Having owned CRVs and Accords for years, my experience between our Accords and CRVs is with the same exact model tire the Accords generally get close to warranty rated miles, and CRVs get about 75% or warranty rated miles. So set your expectations accordingly. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the crossclimates for 6 months now on a 2016 FWD. Replaced the continental crosscontacts. The michelins are 3 decibels quieter ( i actually measured), way better handling, less brake dive when braking, way less body roll, no aquaplaning and better braking. The only downside is 1 less mpg-a con I can live with:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There are a lot of reviews going one way or the other. I'd seek the recommendation of a Tire Industry Association (TIA) technician at an independent tire center -- since there is more to tire selection than reviews, but your driving style, conditions, costs of repair, and warranty services.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the crossclimates for 6 months now on a 2016 FWD. Replaced the continental crosscontacts. The michelins are 3 decibels quieter ( i actually measured), way better handling, less forward lean when braking, way less body roll, no aquaplaning and better braking. The only downside is 1 less mpg-a con I can live with:)

If you compared worn tires to new ones, it would be expected that new ones would be quieter, and worn tires to give slightly better mpg.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you compared worn tires to new ones, it would be expected that new ones would be quieter, and worn tires to give slightly better mpg.
Absolutely true.
Nope, measured the continentals when i bought the V new. they seemed noisy besides handling sloppy. Hated the contis since day 1. Just couldn't justify throwing them out then. Once wife complained of traction control intervening in heavy rain I ditched them with over 50% thread left:)))
Mpg drop of 1 mile based on average mpg according to the vehicle - in my case 29-29.5 since new.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone for your responses. I truly appreciate your help. Just so you'll know, the reason I selected Michelin was two-fold. First, it's a great brand, and second, BJ's is running a pretty good deal right now. BJ's Tire Center

Plus, I want to try something better (in terms of ride, noise, and performance) than the Bridgestone Duelers I've been using the last two times I bought tires. Of course, recommendations are always welcome.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
Not sure where you are located and I have no personal experience but Costco appears to have some tire deals that are hard to beat when they are running one of their installation promotions.

Just a thought!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,581 Posts
Not sure where you are located and I have no personal experience but Costco appears to have some tire deals that are hard to beat when they are running one of their installation promotions.

Just a thought!
Costco was my go-to source for tires for years. But..... I quit buying tires from Costco about 5 years ago.

Reason... AmericasTire (which has an outlet just down the road from my local Costco) offers better service, are much faster on their service, take appointments and stick to their appointments, and you can pre-order your tires online to insure they are at the shop when you arrive for the tire service. With Costco.. it really is hit or miss on service, even with their appointment system now days. I don't like hearing.... "we're really backed up... so come back and four hours to pick up your vehicle".

Pricing wise.. AmericasTire have always been equal to or better than Costco as well. I still price check between them and Costco any time I am in need of tires .. but everytime Costco has a promotion for a particular tire brand and model... AmericasTire has the exact same promotion. AmericasTire also does free tire repairs, no matter where your tires were purchased from.. which is a really nice customer friendly perk. Costco won't so that unless you bought the tires there.. and then you have to wait and wait and wait for customers in front of you to clear first ... whereas at AmericasTire they will pop you right into the queue of customers.. and have you back on the road in 15 minutes.

Note: AmericasTire is the name for DiscountTire here in California where I live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts