Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 week old 2020 CR-V EX-l.
Getting barely 21mpg. This is over 600 miles. Don't hotrod it. Miles are a mix of cit (mostly) and some highway.
Tried ECO mode but didn't help.

Is this normal?

TXS

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
6 week old car?

You need to get a few thousand miles under your belt to see how the MPG increases and the engine beds in.

Perhaps manually try calculating MPG between fill ups and see the difference.

·
Registered
2019 CRV - EX
22 Posts
6 week old 2020 CR-V EX-l.
Getting barely 21mpg. This is over 600 miles. Don't hotrod it. Miles are a mix of cit (mostly) and some highway.
Tried ECO mode but didn't help.

Is this normal?

TXS
Don't feel bad...I have over 6000 on my 2019, and I can't get past 23.7mpg, whether on eco or not. Mine is AWD, is yours?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
32 Posts
Don't feel bad...I have over 6000 on my 2019, and I can't get past 23.7mpg, whether on eco or not. Mine is AWD, is yours?
4159 miles divided by 157 US gallons = 26.5 MPG
This over the last 13 months of 95 % city driving, rarely over 40 MPH, this by actual manually recorded numbers

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
56 Posts
With now about 1600 miles, my mileage is averaging about 32, (that's calculated) with about a 80/20 highway/local mix. Most highway exclusively runs are about 35-36 on the dash computer, with a few runs getting into the low 40's. I certainly can't complain about this. I've used Shell 87 (Toptier) exclusively during this initial period. The CRV's mileage is distinctly affected by steep hills, but at least my vehicle, seems capable of significantly exceeding its advertised highway rating when the conditions are right. YMMV

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
87 Posts
Just took our first road trip in our 19 CR-V EX AWD, 1 k miles total. Over 5 k miles on car. 4 adults, luggage and cooler for snacks. Not flat terrain. Dealt with high winds both directions. Rain and snow also.
70 - 80 MPH. Still averaged 28 MPG with the wind. Pleased with the 4 banger turbo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try fill the tank when empty, drive at least 30 mins on highway (not over 70 mph) then you will see increase mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now that's pretty $$$hitty...I have the same mileage and now with winter blended fuel hitting the pump get about 27mpg doing 80mph out in the open road...

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
80 Posts
Our 2WD regularly gets 40 mpg cruising at 60-70 mph, at 80 mph it only gets 30 mpg but that's still crazy good for an SUV!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fuelly.com seems to be at around 28 MPG for 2017-2020 model years. The highest number of vehicles reporting are at 25 MPG. We don't drive ours much on the highway because the wifey uses it as her grocery getter/ kid picker upper and we average closer to 24MPG but we also have higher than normal fuel dilution than most are reporting. Once your engine breaks in I would bet you will do much better.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
87 Posts
Our 2WD regularly gets 40 mpg cruising at 60-70 mph, at 80 mph it only gets 30 mpg but that's still crazy good for an SUV!
Computer numbers or hand calculated?
Computer numbers are always off in my experience. My computer numbers are 2-3 mpg off compared to hand calculated.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Generally worth reminding also that the CR-V, as a design, is not exactly designed for fuel efficiency as perhaps, a diesel powered-4th Gen was....often, its practicality that is the main reason.

Enjoy the car and fill up as needed, thats my motto....

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
56 Posts
It also, like most SUV's, has the aerodynamics of a shipping crate. As a new CRV owner, i'm generally surprised at it's real-world mileage. in mixed (20/80 city highway) driving, my overall average is generally in the low-mid 30's, straight highway, relatively flat roads, I've seen 41+ on the "this trip" computer.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,704 Posts
OK... we get these sorts of threads often. :)

Fact is.... this is a poster child example of a discussion topic where "your results may vary" or better yet "your mileage may vary". Reason: every driver has a different foot for the accelerator, and some do not actually adjust to the vehicle but instead demand the vehicle adjust to them. A great example with the 1.5T engine is that it likes to be pushed off the stop at an intersection to get it to 25+ mph as quickly as possible.. which is where you enter the strong torque curve of the engine.

It is torque that powers the CVT.. not fuel per se.... and in the low torque zone of the 1.5T..... it will not only feel sluggish, it will consume more fuel for the same result in the drive train. Once I learned to drive aggressively from a stop up to 25+ mph.. and then ease way back on the fuel as the rich torque is delivered to the CVT.. I found 2-3 mpg improvement just doing that.. while changing no other driving conditions.

If you are a mostly short trip in town driver, with low miles per year on average... then don't expect to see average fuel economy readouts much above low 20s (even with the accelerate from a stop tip above). Gen5 CRVs are incredibly fuel efficient, but they actually appear to be at their worst in frequent stop and go traffic, lot of stop lights, etc.

Easy to verify if your vehicle is working normally in terms of fuel economy --> fill the tank and take a full tank road trip at highway speeds and then see what the result for that tank is.

Overall suggestion for owners: Learn to use your instantaneous mpg graph available on your instrument panel to learn where the sweet spots are for your CRV in terms of fuel economy vs performance. Hop on the gas during in town driving when you are at a stop.. and once you get above 25 mph... you can ease way back on the fuel and the vehicle will still continue to increase speed modestly until you reach the final speed for the road.. and you will see the instant mpg bar sitting between 35-45 mpg as you let off the fuel at cruising speed. It really is all the stops and gos that eat fuel in this power train.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the city driving , short trips kills MPG, on highway I drive and get 32 mpg.....my wife drives all city...avg's 18-21 mpg....2019 CRV-LX 2.4L keep an eye on highway trips , reset trip and see what you're getting for MPG....all the best

1 - 20 of 77 Posts