Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,095 Posts
Computer numbers or hand calculated?
Computer numbers are always off in my experience. My computer numbers are 2-3 mpg off compared to hand calculated.
also, if using the one reading on the CRV, are you resetting it back to Zero after fill up to get calculations from last fill up?

Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L
2 Posts
I'm thrilled with the mileage I'm getting. Having said that, I came from an 04 Chevy Avalanche and I was lucky to get 16 mpg going downhill. I have a 2018 CR-V about 9200 on the odometer. I generally average about 28 MPG all city driving. Took it down to mom's house this evening, filled it up and then put about 130 highway miles on it and hit 42 MPG. I generally average around 38 on the interstate. Average speed about 70MPH. My advice: Switch to full synthetic if you haven't already & keep your foot out of the turbo, it's a roomy econobox which is exactly what I wanted, not a wannabe Porsche Cayenne. My friend hit 46MPG on his 2019 driving from Charlotte, NC to Greenville, SC. I'm chasing his record. These things sip fuel on the interstate if you properly set your expectations for acceleration & passing...

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V Touring
1 Posts
6 week old 2020 CR-V EX-l.
Getting barely 21mpg. This is over 600 miles. Don't hotrod it. Miles are a mix of cit (mostly) and some highway.
Tried ECO mode but didn't help.

Is this normal?

TXS
2018 Touring here with 16k miles. Mix or city and highway and regularly hit 32-33 with zero effort.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
54 Posts
2018 Touring here with 16k miles. Mix or city and highway and regularly hit 32-33 with zero effort.
2020 EX-L, just turned 2000 miles tonite, filled up and calculated it out at 32.4 same mix of driving, the on- board mpg calculator is always about 2 mpg optimistic. I've (obsessively no doubt) always kept a fuel notebook where I record each fillup and calculate mpg. Use Shell 87 octane, usually fill up at the same station, same pump. My mileage results pretty much mirrors yours. I've seen 41+on the dash straight flat highway, have yet to take a 3-400 mile trip, should be interesting.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
A couple of comments -
  • my 2017 EX-L AWD CR-V is the most fuel efficient car I've owned, over 56 years. That's my bottom line.
    • starting with a VW beetle. (And the 'V can climb a hill without slowing down.)
  • I never use ECO.
  • I drive like I want to, not trying for hyper mileage.
  • Computer vs calculated mpgs average within 1-2% of each other, although there were a couple of outliers, very rare.
  • Life-of-the-car (36k miles) calculated average is a tad over 32 mpg. Road trip averages 33.7, non road trip averages 30.7.
  • We are retired, no daily commutes.
    • No extensive city driving, more suburban when around home.
    • On road trips, usually keep it down to the low 70s (mph).
Overall, very pleased with the car.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
583 Posts
Purchased our 2018 in May, 2019. 24,367.5 miles using 788.04 gallons = 30.92 mpg. Best mileage - 35.49, lowest mileage - 27.41.

With our old '08 V, doing the same type of driving, usually averaged around 26-27 mpg. Just checked my posting from 2010 road trip: 2010 road trip results.

Still haven't had the long distance trip interstate trip to really see what that mileage will be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I havent touched my B trip odometer setting since leasing it in may . So , mixed driving for 5.5 months and I'm getting 7.8 litres per 100 km which is 30 mpg U.S .

-6 celcuis this morning and it was nice and toasty by mid commute ; heat gauge halfway up within 8 minutes

my past crv , 2016 lx mixed use in summer was around 10 litres per 100 km , 11 in the winter months .

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
I'm thrilled with the mileage I'm getting. Having said that, I came from an 04 Chevy Avalanche and I was lucky to get 16 mpg going downhill. I have a 2018 CR-V about 9200 on the odometer. I generally average about 28 MPG all city driving. Took it down to mom's house this evening, filled it up and then put about 130 highway miles on it and hit 42 MPG. I generally average around 38 on the interstate. Average speed about 70MPH. My advice: Switch to full synthetic if you haven't already & keep your foot out of the turbo, it's a roomy econobox which is exactly what I wanted, not a wannabe Porsche Cayenne. My friend hit 46MPG on his 2019 driving from Charlotte, NC to Greenville, SC. I'm chasing his record. These things sip fuel on the interstate if you properly set your expectations for acceleration & passing...

View attachment 142367
If nothing else, this shows how economical the 1.5T engine can be 👌

·
Registered
16 Posts
first things first....you have 600 miles on it. it's not broken in yet. give it time. secondly, the highest culprit of poor fuel mileage is tire pressures. have you checked since purchase? don't expect it to be spot on from dealer. you don't say where you live. flat roads? hilly terrain? city traffic in florida (stop lights and length of stop) are far more longer than say city traffic in suburban KC area (examples i am both fully aware of personally). how much weight is in the car? if you live up north, you could already be in winter blend fuel.

type of oil used could affect mileage. do you have the A/C or heater on daily. lights on? everyone drives differently, we all live in different parts of the world. we all have different weather and terrain. all this will affect mileage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm at 49K miles.
Have new tires(Michelin crossclimate 2)
Average is 30mpg with 70% highway and 30% city in normal mode.
OEM tires I was averaging 26-27 mpg in eco mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting barely 21mpg. This is over 600 miles. Don't hotrod it. Miles are a mix of cit (mostly) and some highway.

Is this normal?

TXS
So, I've never bothered to do the exact number crunching but can tell by how often and much I fill the tank that my 2019 CR-V EX-L gets about the same. I was hoping for better, too. To be fair, I have only taken one LONG trip so mostly doing city, small trips, maybe a 50 mi RT once a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Is this normal?

TXS
Me2 until I learned how to drive a bit more conservative. We now get 26mpg. we do miss our Rav4 that got 31/32mpg. Rav4 drives better in the snow as well but is not as smooth over bumps

·
Registered
20 Posts

Is this normal?

TXS
Check your cold tire pressure and see if it's at the recommended psi. In my experience, for every 1 psi below the manufacturer's recommended psi I lose 1 mpg. This can become a relatively large issue when the outside ambient temperature starts to drop significantly as cold tire pressure drops with dropping ambient temperature. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Is this normal?

TXS
Have a 2019 exl awd. 12000 miles. Last trip about 300 miles I got 38 highway. I think it wi get better for you.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts