Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start doing my own oil changes and rotations. I see a few 3-ton floor jacks with ~18" max height on sale here and there. Is this sufficient to clear the wheels off the ground? It's occasionally cheaper than Harbor Freight's 3-ton jack. Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I used a Torin 3-Ton Floor jack (a.k.a Big Red) plus jack stands to rotate tires on my 2014 CR-V. It has a max. height of 20.5". I did not measure the actual lift, but 18" should be enough to clear the tires off ground. You need jack stands though. It is never safe to get under a car that is only supported by a floor jack. You need SUV jack stands give you the right lift without stretching the bar all the way up.

If you have Menards, they some times have 11% rebates. If you accumulated some prior rebates then it will work out to be a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If you are careful you could put plywood or 2 x 6 / 2 x 8 / 2 x 10 ... planks under the jack. That will give you more height as well as help stabilize things if you are on a soft or uneven surface. You could also use a 4x4 block or something between the saddle of the jack and the jack point. Remember to be careful and use jack stands to support the vehicle. That would be especially true if you are being "creative".

I have one of the Harbor Freight low profile ones (maybe 2 1/4 ton?) and it gets the wheels of my 2000 off the ground, but sometimes I want a little extra height. It is either 18 or 20" height. I believe the first generation had a higher ground clearance so I need to have the jack higher before it starts lifting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts