Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t envision the idea of moderators forever making judgement calls of whether to cram a thread into one all encompassing thread, or not, as being either efficient, or effective.
My humble opinion on this subject, is that it seems a lot of freshman posters are starting threads, right after joining, without bothering to search for their ideas already posted multiple times.

I’ve been on other forums that have a more elegant, non biased way to handle this. It’s simple a forum rule that the freshman poster must submit a minimum number of posts, and log on a minimum number of times, before they are granted authority to create a new thread.
I believe this would severely cut down on repetitive threads and allow moderators to sit back a bit.

Can it be done here?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that is an idea to consider. I think the moderators are doing the best they can in trying to keep the forum organized.

Another challenge is getting members to leverage the sub-forums dedicated for specific topics, for instance:

- There is a forum dedicated for feedback for the moderators: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/95-feedback-forum/

- There is a forum dedicated for problems and answers: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/

- There is a forum dedicated for feedback to Honda: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13-dear-honda-feedback-forum/

- There is a forum for recalls, TSBs, notices: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/15-recalls-tsbs-notices/

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,922 Posts
That's a great idea! You should PM one of the mods and see if they can make it happen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea as well, hopefully mods can see your thread

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Belongs in the feedback section you're offtopic. suprized a mod did not move or close ha ha ha .

1. new member gets prompted to t he rule, they can open a new thread and gets prompted to the rule. the prompt also should say can not open new thread till five or more posts on a section.

1 on an Intro only then outside to a lounge, and then 3 in a crv or other section. then on their 6th post again one more prompt. and a filter that if Oil dilution is in a Header not to allow with the moderation of a Modorator, and stays Unapproved . till the mod reads and accepts/

problem is to much work for the admin to do or know how. As long as a post or thread is made $$$$$$$ comes in for the owner....

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,681 Posts
On another forum I frequent, a new member cannot edit a post or add a signature until after they have five posts and 14 days have passed from registering, and are limited to just two PMs in their mailbox at a time.

Limiting the ability of a new member to start a new thread is an interesting idea, but it really limits the "free speech" so many here have mentioned. Suppose they really have a new issue to ask about or something interesting to suggest?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Or they would just rather 'ask' than 'search'

Fishy's statement is an example of how the Mods can't be expected to see EVERYTHING that is posted.

I've moved the Topic to the Feedback section and we'll discuss the benefits of coldhonda's suggestion.

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
then the simple solution is to moderate and kept unapproved till a mod approves it. a lot of crap is i nthe section that needs approval by filters and all see from the site I moderate

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Fishy...the downside to your suggestion is the amount of time it takes. Example: we get a lot of complaints about Post Requirements for Links, PMs, and Trading Post. These are anti SPAM measures. But new users hate them.

The Mods don't even see half of the posts made until the next day (at least I don't, I subscribe to a Daily Digest of most of the sub-forums...)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On another forum I frequent, a new member cannot edit a post or add a signature until after they have five posts and 14 days have passed from registering, and are limited to just two PMs in their mailbox at a time.

Limiting the ability of a new member to start a new thread is an interesting idea, but it really limits the "free speech" so many here have mentioned. Suppose they really have a new issue to ask about or something interesting to suggest?
New members can post away as their heart desires on any of a thousand existing threads. It doesn’t limit free speech, as you say.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,922 Posts
New members can post away as their heart desires on any of a thousand existing threads. It doesn’t limit free speech, as you say.
I agree with this. Too many new members come on here and immediately start new oil threads when there are about 1,000 of them. If they do a simple search they will find what they are looking for. This will ensure the mods don't have to close 15 threads in one day which causes an uproar of whiners mad about it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yeap exactly. Pretty much some kind of limit on starting new threads by new members on every forum I have ever been on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Coldhonda, Do you want new members to be prohibited from posting at all, until they reach certain number of Posts?

If so, that ain't going to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts