Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a brand-new CR-V EX and tried plugging-in my Samsung Galaxy S6 to charge it through the USB #1 in the arm rest. The phone then tries to establish a mirror-link connection. After about a minute, the car displays a msg indicating that it is an incompatible phone, and the phone-screen goes dark and locks-up until the USB is unplugged. I've tried disabling mirror link on the phone, but to no avail. Is there any way to disable it on the car, or is there a firmware update that would make the car and the phone talk to each other?
Phone is running Android 5.1.1, with the 2015-11-1 security patch

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the S6, too, and it does work fine with Mirror link. (it has to be turned on in the phone men, too. There is another thread with step by step instructions) Before I installed a phone holder that has a built in wireless charger, I was charging it with one of the car's USB ports (slow charger), and then I put a fast charger in to the 12v power port next to the USB so i could charge it at triple speed. Both did the job. I kept the fast charger there for passengers who may want to charge while I'm driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a crv-15 ex-L it is really unfortunate to find out that the infotainment was done solely for iphone. My work phone is an iphone 5s mirror links perfectly. It gives you cool apps to play with. I've just paid $650 for a samsung s6 and it's really annoying not being able to sync the way the iphone syncs. Where can I find help or updates about this issue?
Thanks for your help,
Zeke

·
Registered
381 Posts
What issue are you having or features are you missing? My S6 works fine with mirrorlink and the suggested nav app. There are several threads with walk throughs and even videos showing how.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If Honda read this, then I'll add I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I get exactly the same issue as tbyassee reported. Having joined this forum specifically to see what was happening with MirrorLink and CRV it appears several other people have issues with MirrorLink. I've spoken to my Dealer about this (Guilder Honda, Chesterfield, UK) and they know nothing. Given it gets a mention is the brochure about MirrorLink you'd think it would have been slightly more widely tested.

If I was being cynical about this then Honda don't want to do anything about it - they wouldn't sell as many SatNav systems if MirrorLink worked correctly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If Honda read this, then I'll add I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I get exactly the same issue as tbyassee reported. Having joined this forum specifically to see what was happening with MirrorLink and CRV it appears several other people have issues with MirrorLink. I've spoken to my Dealer about this (Guilder Honda, Chesterfield, UK) and they know nothing. Given it gets a mention is the brochure about MirrorLink you'd think it would have been slightly more widely tested.

If I was being cynical about this then Honda don't want to do anything about it - they wouldn't sell as many SatNav systems if MirrorLink worked correctly.
I don't believe the blame should be directed solely at Honda. Part of the blame can be directed at Samsung.

Furthermore, according to parts lists, Honda uses the same radio in the 15/16 EX-L & Touring. It's the SD card that's changes the features.

*Edited content to correct specific models*

·
Registered
381 Posts
I believe 2015/2016 touring radio has higher wattage, but yea they all look the same. I dont see the benefit of mirrorlink, if the only thing they offer with it is a terrible nav app that costs extra. The free apps on the phone are far better, IMO. Get a bracket and youll have the best of both worlds. We have 2 tourings with nav and find the built in nav to be counter intuitive and slow. We use WAZE instead.

My next car, however, will have Android Auto.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The point of MirrorLink is that you don't need to pay for Honda's in-built satnav. In theory I can MirrorLink my phone to the car and the car's display screen becomes a bigger version of my phone screen including the touch-control. I could then see my phone's satnav on a much bigger screen (and use all the other apps within reason). See http://www.mirrorlink.com/. It all sounds great in theory but I don't think everyone is fully committed to the "standard".

At this point I don't know who is to blame. I do know that my phone thinks it's MirrorLink'd to my car and it's my car that is complaining about "an incompatible phone" . According to the MirrorLink web site (see above) my phone is compatible , so is my car. From Honda's UK CR-V brochure quote:
"Note: Honda CONNECT is also MirrorLink enabled (this feature is only available where users's smartphone is compatible with Honda CONNECT MirrorLink)."

The other thing is no one seems to know anything about it. Having spoken to my Dealer the only thing they've seen is a demo in a Honda Civic. I've seen uTube video of people demoing MirrorLink with various combinations of Honda/phone, but so far I've not seen a Honda CRV and a Samsung Galaxy S5 working together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've contacted my local dealer and Honda uk. I've got the same issues with a S6 edge.

Here's the reply

Mirrorlink will only work when stationary AND is only compatible with the below phone that MUST also have the Android software - Jellybean 4.0.4.

Samsung

S4 mini, Note, Note Edge

Sony

Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 compact

HTC

One (M8)

So it looks like it was out of date before it was launched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just had a chat with my dealer who has spoken to a someone at Honda Technical UK. The technical chap believes that it is the phone manufactures themselves who have changed the specification of the MirrorLink on the phones. Honda have said there is nothing they can do about it apart from tell the phone manufactures/Android developers about the problem (they have done this). The good news is that you won't have to take your car into the dealer to fix the problem. The bad news is you are going to have to wait for the phone manufactures/Android developers to fix the problem and then push out an update.

I'm still not convinced, I've seen new phones working with non-Honda MirrorLink head units. I've now eMailed the MirrorLink consortium to see if they can shed some light on the problem.

Had a reply back from the MirrorLink consortium
"We are sorry to hear you are having problems activating MirrorLink®. Please understand that the Car Connectivity Consortium cannot provide support services for specific products. The Consortium creates and develops the MirrorLink® specifications that manufacturers use to create products. However, once those products are sold on the commercial market, it is the responsibility of the manufacturers to provide the necessary technical support to consumers. The CCC does not have the ability to provide these services to consumers.

For the current MirrorLink® Certified Product Listing please visit https://cert.mirrorlink.com/ProductListing/. This is the most updated listing of products that MirrorLink® has to offer.

Best regards,

CCC Administration "

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ideal, When i spoke to someone at Honda they reckoned that it was because they were using Android 4.0.4.
Apparently it uses a different version of mirrorlink. I believe it would be an advantage for Honda to update the unit to a more recent version of android.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheers but the issue is that the mirrorlink doesn't function. The screen goes blank and then says the smartphone isn't compatible

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cheers but the issue is that the mirrorlink doesn't function. The screen goes blank and then says the smartphone isn't compatible
I realize that, but the OP mentioned problems when trying to charge. A Charge Cable only has two wires..

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you read the op again there are 2 problems. Charging and getting the car and phone to talk to each other. The charging one is straight forward the mirrorlink however is not. It's a software issue

·
Registered
381 Posts
Works fine on the S6 or the newer NOTE models. But it's still a useless feature, because it turns off when you take the vehicle out of PARK. You can use their nav app, for about $100 I think, but it's terrible. The resolution of the vehicles screen is also poor compared to your smartphone screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been trying to talk to Honda UK about this issue but they have been more than useless. However, having dug around the subject I've found the following:
Honda only support Android JellyBean 4.0.4. (taken directly from Honda communication). This can't be correct as JellyBean was v4.1 - so not actually sure what it was that Honda were supporting.
JellyBean was released to the Development community June 27, 2012.
JellyBean stopped being released as 4.3.1 (JLS36I) / October 3, 2013.
KitKit (v4.4 of Android) was released to developers October 31, 2013.
Honda demo'd their new Android based system at the Paris motor show on 3 Oct 2014. So one year after the only OS they were going to support was stopped they previewed some software. However I think Honda only released the system this year, 2016. So Honda were going to be very out of date even before the launched the system. Then, we more onto the actual specification of MirrorLink.
The latest version of MirrorLink is v1.1. Most phones within the last 2 years all support v1.1. As far as I can tell, the system Honda use is v1.1 so everything should work, but we know that for most people it doesn't.

I found a really interesting lecture about MirrorLink given by one of the MirrorLink developers on you-tube. The short version is the MirrorLink Consortium certify apps to be "safe" whilst driving. The phone and car manufactures who joined let the MirrorLink Consortium certify the apps on their behalf. This process is free to the app developers, only the actual testing requires payment. The head units will only display those apps that have MirrorLink certification. This certification varies between regions. The EU only require standards over the icon size etc, whereas the USA and Japan have requirements linked to the amount of user interaction required; they actually test the apps with users. Too much interaction required, no certificate. This means that any app that meets MirrorLink certification standards should be safe to use whilst the vehicle is moving. I'm therefore mystified that Honda have chosen to not adhere to the standard and they choose to turn off MirrorLink once the user takes of the handbrake/starts moving. Using Honda's own logic their own satnav should turn off when moving as it must be distracting to the user... Car manufactures can white-list their own choosen apps if the wish and developers can get a special "developer certificate" so they can test their own apps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good post, I managed to get a response from Honda UK. They gave me a list of a few out of date device's they have confirmed as being compatible.

I had also made comment on the app store or lack of. Two apps, a weather app and aha since launch. Absolutely pathetic ! They've got a nerve calling it an app store.

If they couldn't be bothered to support it properly they should have stuck with a basic double din unit as in other models or had a look at other manufacturers systems.

Being an Android based system it should be simple to update over the air. In fact my S6 has just been updated yesterday to the latest version of android. I'll give it a try and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just heard from Honda and here is the reply:
"Thank you for contacting Honda (UK).

I am sorry that you are disappointed with Mirrorlink on your Honda CR-V.

Mirrorlink is only compatible on mobile phones that run off of the Android Jellybean operating system. The idea at the time of release was that it would continually be tested and with time more phones and corresponding software would be added to the compatibility list. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the product planning and manufacturing period of a car far exceeds that of a mobile phone. As the Android software has updated to Lollipop 5.0, the connectivity between MirrorLink and the Android device does not operate on devices with the latest software in the same way. This is something that Android and Mirrorlnk are working on together but unfortunately, as Honda, we are unable to influence their software and programming.

This is not an issue that is unique to Honda, as many other automotive manufacturers have been incurring the same situation. All Honda brochures that demonstrate the feature of Mirrorlink outlines that customers will need to check phone compatibility prior to purchase to ensure their devices are compatible with the system within the vehicle.

I am sorry for the frustration and inconvenience caused by this situation but unfortunately Honda are unable to alter the compatibility between Mirrorlink and Android.

Kind Regards,"

If this isn't a case of "we don't care" then I don't know what is. In replying to this I came across some Android OS population data for about the time Honda previewed the MirrorLink android2014.jpg and February 2016 android2016.jpg . I realise this is not the most scientific method, but it illustrates the point. Jellybean didn't even have 50% of the market when they previewed the product. Now, when Honda release it they refuse to support 70% of the populous with phones newer than Jellybean.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts