Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 has 190,000 miles on it, had some issues about 1 year ago, had the valves adjusted and it was fine, now its back, the codes were po300 through po304, the garage is suggesting valve adjustment but its only been maybe 15,000- miles. the parts counter guy said to try new coil packs, they have never been changed i know this cause i am the only owner. plugs have been changed at same time as the valve adjustment, also had a code for the transmition, po845 with is 3rd clutch pressure switch, so the counter guy says its different switch for a gen. 1 than a gen. 2 front or back, he can't tell, I don't know if I have a gen. 1 or a gen. 2 honda. so how do I tell if its a gen. 1 or 2 and would it make sense to replace the coil pacs at 190,000 miles or should I go for the valve adjustment again? or are there any other thoughts

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
A 2003 was the first year for the Second Gen. Go to the forum HOME PAGE to see specs for each generation.

If you DIY, it certainly wouldn't hurt to re-check valve clearance. Also check plugs and gap (must be Iridium, Denso or NGK brands work best).

When the plugs are out, check carefully for electrical 'tracking' on the coil packs, but replacing those is the logical next step. DO NOT buy cheapie coils...try to get OEM for best results.

HTH

·
Registered
40 Posts
ignition coil? I lost 1 on my 2002 Odyssey and got multiple misfire codes. easy to diagnose and replace.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
A 2003 was the first year for the Second Gen. Go to the forum HOME PAGE to see specs for each generation.
Actually for the USA the 2002 was the first year for the Second gen. 2002-2004, 2nd gen, 2005-2006 gen 2.5.

97-98 gen 1
99-01 gen 1.5

02-04 gen 2
05-06 gen 2.5

07-09 gen 3
10-11 gen 3.5

12-whatever, gen 4, dont care, Im retired. Lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
As for the op, the 1st gen didnt have coil packs. It had regular plug wires, a distributor and what not.

The 2nd gen, (what you have), they went to coil packs. If the counter guy couldnt figure it out, find another as you found the local resident idiot. They should know the car lines and model yrs and different generations. I know and say this out of experience. I worked parts departments and even managed them. Last one being for Honda.

Id personally start with a valve adjustment before buying coil packs.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Actually for the USA the 2002 was the first year for the Second gen. 2002-2004, 2nd gen, 2005-2006 gen 2.5.
Brain fart, :rolleyes: my bad, you are correct.

Yeah I mentioned the valves...but remember the OP said it had been done only 15K miles ago. Cheaper to buy new packs than have the valve clearance check done again, right? I'd run these scenarios past the original shop.

If the problems persist, I'd be looking to do a compression test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the counter guy couldnt figure it out, find another as you found the local resident idiot. They should know the car lines and model yrs and different generations. I know and say this out of experience. I worked parts departments and even managed them. Last one being for Honda.

I too know some garages like that. I worked for one and the parts guy was an expert on hondas and one other mechanic too. However, they scratched their heads when I asked about oil and how to check the ATF. None the less, I lost my faith in them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts