Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm missing a screw-on cover in my engine compartment. It might have to to with the AC unit, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm if I'm missing a cover in the pic, and if it is necessary to have one?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Temporarily cover it with tape and take it to the dealer to get a replacement. You don't want dirt accumulating in it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Normally I would say that an auto parts store would probably have generic caps for a couple bucks that would work fine, and be less hassle than a trip to the dealer, but with the new 1234-yf refrigerant (that has unique fittings) I doubt that's an option.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
link removed find a cap

cheap as can be try a polar springs bottle cap and then tape around the ac , the male part, reverse the electrical tape then correctly start building up so the cap goes over. or just like said tape a a glad bag over it till you get a cap off an online store, find one that you like

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
Do you think anything might have leaked out as a result of not having that cap?
No. The caps are there to keep the valve inside clean, and if you have not had any A/C issues they would not have been touched.

If your CR-V was new I would have asked the dealer for one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally received the cap, and all is well. This prompted me to check the caps on my 2 year old Accord, and interestingly enough, both of them were loose! I'm guessing that at some point they would have fallen out also. I don't know if they just loosen by themselves over time, or if they just weren't tight to begin with.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It's interesting; on home A/C systems, those are invariably made from brass and equipped with an o-ring as an additional pressure seal. But on cars, they are just plastic caps meant to keep the dirt out.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
loose caps wills spin off due to vibrations use some teflon tape not locktite and the cape will not spin off. glad you got one,

Yeah link remove it if like sorry ifit was not the right ones

1 - 14 of 14 Posts