Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought an '07 V last year with a Nitrogen inflated tires as a bonus from the dealer. But a month after we bought it, my wife was assigned (job) to a smaller town where Nitrogen is not available. So the big question is, it okay to mix Nitrogen with compressed air?

I have asked several people about this and I even googled the topic. Some would say it is not good to put compressed air in a Nitrogen inflated tires, and even the tire shop in our town would not recommend it. The Honda dealer where we got our V would not recommend it also. But some people on the net would say it is okay to mix Nitrogen with air. Another Honda dealer that is nearer to our town said that it is just fine to mix.

One article i have read on the net even said that it is fine:
http://www.allbusiness.com/transportation-warehousing/554347-1.html

I am getting more confused here,.What do you think is the real answer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
First of all, air is about 60% nitrogen (N). So if you fill your tires with good old air you are getting 60% nitrogren - free! So there is no way that topping off your CRV's tires with regular air is going to hurt anything. In fact, topping off with N, if you can find a source, will hurt you wallet.

Apparently N will permeate the tire's rubber more slowly than air, so the tire will not lose pressure as fast. Some race teams tried using N because it expands less when heated, making exact tire pressures easier to maintain in a race. Also apparently, tire shops found a way of separating the consumer from more cash by selling nitrogen. (OK, I'm a cynic)

Seems to me the benefits of nitrogen in tires are overstated by the folks making the money from it. Check your pressures often and fill-up with good old-fashioned air*

pete
*60% nitrogen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys! I think I'm gonna have my tires inflated later.

With a wind chill of below zero here in our small town my tires are now in 25 psi with Nitrogen from 30 psi 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again!

Merry Christmas! :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! I think I'm gonna have my tires inflated later.

With a wind chill of below zero here in our small town my tires are now in 25 psi with Nitrogen from 30 psi 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again!

Merry Christmas! :)
If it was ambient air it would have dropped lower than to 25 PSI. As mentioned before, N changes less in pressure as the temperature drops.

I read or saw a video with Jay Leno on N in tires. I think he said ambient air is 80-85% N. He knows his stuff and if he doesn't, his mechanics certainly do!

BTW, Costco inflates their tires with N. For Free! I suppose the cost of the extractor is distributed into the cost of all the tires they sell. So it is not that much. N itself is free! It is just separated from room air.

-RG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts