Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 pairs of quite good winter tires that I gave my GF for her 2003 CR-V AWD. However, I wonder if they will be safe because of the slightly different sizes.

One pair is 205/70R15 and the other pair is 205/75R15 studded (although those studs can be removed, I believe).

Any tire guys here with an opinion? And, if OK, would there be any reason to worry which pair were front or rear? She has spare rims too!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That is a no-no

I do not think nor is it recommend by Honda that you mix sizes.

But if you must use them put the smaller diameter /70 profile on the front. That way the dual pump rear diff will not turn on and go into 4wd mode falsely. If it does go into 4WD too frequently on pavement it might overheat due to the difference in sizes.

Not sure about the last part but I highly recommend you do not mix sizes. By saving a couple of hundred not buying tires you might end up spending a few grand on a new rear diff.

And possibly the worse drawback is a little less horizontal mumbo if the rear diff brakes down. :D

The drawback of putting the smaller size up front is that there will be a slight delay in going into 4WD when you do need it. I do not think this will harm the rear diff but you better check with someone better qualified.
-Rg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think nor is it recommend by Honda that you mix sizes.

But if you must use them put the smaller diameter /70 profile on the front. That way the dual pump rear diff will not turn on and go into 4wd mode falsely. If it does go into 4WD too frequently on pavement it might overheat due to the difference in sizes.

Not sure about the last part but I highly recommend you do not mix sizes. By saving a couple of hundred not buying tires you might end up spending a few grand on a new rear diff.

And possibly the worse drawback is a little less horizontal mumbo if the rear diff brakes down. :D

The drawback of putting the smaller size up front is that there will be a slight delay in going into 4WD when you do need it. I do not think this will harm the rear diff but you better check with someone better qualified.
-Rg
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that angle, but it certainly needs some investigation. I guess the best thing is to match a pair up with the 205/70R15 pair to make four equal tires.

Interestingly, this CR-V came to the dealer with these mis-matched tires installed. He (rightly, I guess) decided that it needed four matching tires so I got the vehicle with 4 new snows.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, would these different sized tires cause the tire pressure sensors to trigger a fault?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No, not as long as all four sensors are are working and are the proper ID is registered in the TPMS system. the size of the tires has nothing to do with it.

On the other hand the VSA and some of the other systems that measure the wheel RPM and acceleration might be affected.

It is not a good idea to mix sizes.

-Rg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not as long as all four sensors are are working and are the proper ID is registered in the TPMS system. the size of the tires has nothing to do with it.

On the other hand the VSA and some of the other systems that measure the wheel RPM and acceleration might be affected.

It is not a good idea to mix sizes.

-Rg
Thats what I figured. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts