Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have just had to replace the exhaust camshaft on my 2003 CRV 100K miles. Bought it a few weeks ago - thought I'd check valve clearances - glad I did as exhaust camshaft lobes 1 & 3 completely knackered. Probably original & the most worn I've ever seen a camshaft. Amazingly engine was running fine - but I hear they are like that....
However, before I started the job the engine management light always went off after start up - as it should if all well. Having finished job, I notice light now stays on. Only electrical systems I touched were crank sensor and coils which I had to disconnect - but that's it. I suspect the problem may be that the camshaft to crank timing may be a tooth out - had a lot of trouble trying to get them aligned. Does anyone know if the management system would pick up on that? Must admit I am surprised light wasn't on before I started the job given the state of the valve lash & camshaft. Such are the mysteries of the engine management systems...
Thanks
LW
worn_cam.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't answer you directly. I don't know the tolerance of the alarms for timing.
But I suggest you get a code reader (usually free loaner at O'Reilly's or others) and see what code is coming up. Then clear the codes and see if it comes back. Tthat should give you a good clue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked code and got a P0341 -which is indeed camshaft / crank out of sync. After a lot of experimentation with spanners & cable ties to hold the camshafts in place I managed to slip the chain one tooth on the crank sprocket and correctly align with TDC pulley mark. Reassembled and all seems OK now. Engine is now probably smoother, quieter & more economical than it has been for a long time. Thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts