Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying that my wife has had 3 Mk1 CRVs and one Mk2. The Mk2 (2002 model) has served her well for the last 5 or 6 years but last week the bolts that attach the trailing arm bushing to the frame pulled out of the frame due to rust so we are car shopping.

We looked at an '06 this morning, which we plan to have our mechanic look at when he is open on Tuesday. It looks good but one thing puzzles me: The tires looked much smaller than the ones on the '02.
The tires on the '02 are 205/70R15 which should have an OD of 668mm according to https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-size-chart-metric-by-rim-wheel-diameter (sorry, this is the best pic I have of it from the side)

Unfortunately I didn't see what size the ones on the '06 were but assuming that they were the correct 215/65R16 they should actually be a bit larger at 686mm (pic from the ad for the '06)

Is this an optical illusion (maybe related to the running boards) or is there more clearance under the fenders on the '06?

Anyway, the big question is: If we buy the '06 can we use the wheels & tires from the '02 on it? (I'm most concerned about the snow tires)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what the page I linked said too but even in the pics the '06 looks like the tires are smaller. And my wife said it felt slightly lower when she was driving it but that could be because she expected it to be because it looked lower.
I guess I'll find out on Tuesday morning. Note to self: Take a tape measure....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just do the metric tire math.......205 X .7 X 2 / 25.4 + 15 = 26.3" in diameter and 8.07" wide. 205 / 25.4 = 8.07" wide.

215 X .65 X 2 / 25.4 + 16 = 27.0" in diameter and 8.46" wide.

Looks are obviously deceiving.......the metric tire math tells it like it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that (in fact, I said in the first post that a 215/65R16 should be 18mm larger diameter than a 205/70R15). But you can see from the pics that there is more space between the top of the front tire and the fender opening on the '06 than there is on the '02.

It is also possible that they have installed lower profile tires for some reason. 215.50R16 tires would be that much smaller....

It is also possible that the springs in the '06 are in better shape than those in the '02. As I said, I'll take a tape measure when we go back. And I'll measure things like the height to the top of the fender opening and I'll look at the tires more closely to see what size they really are.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
..............Anyway, the big question is: If we buy the '06 can we use the wheels & tires from the '02 on it? (I'm most concerned about the snow tires)
Look at the link I provided above, it will tell OE wheels/tires by year. You should stay at, or very close to, the original tire diameter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can see there the bolt pattern is the same for the 15" and 16" rims and the O.D. of the 15" and 16" are close enough that it should be OK to use the mounted snow tires from the '02 on the '06. And it seems to me that 205 section snow tires should work better than 215s too.

I wonder why Honda changed to the 16" rims and wider tires?
I know more about bikes than cars and I know that sometimes bike manufacturers change to a different wheel/tire combination because that is what is popular rather than for any technical reason. For example, Honda put 3.50/18 tires on the rear of the CX500 but when they replaced the CX with the GL500 in '81 they changed to 130/90-16. The OD of the 2 sizes is within a couple of percent so the RPM for any specific speed/gear combination stayed the same and wider tires take more effort to lean into turns. They continued to use 18" wheels on the CX500E Eurosport (& later the CX650E) because the people that bought those understood that the narrower tires have better handling but fatter rear tires had become fashionable so the less sporting models got the 16" ones.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The OE wheel widths are different as well........I would suspect the wheel offsets are different as well ?‍♂, but maybe not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had the seller meet us at the mechanic's shop. It was test driven and then examined and rejected. They heard a buzzing sound that usually indicates a cracked manifold and when they put it on the lift they found that the exhaust pipe was welded to the catalytic (= significantly higher cost if the manifold needs to be replaced). On top of that the fluids were all topped up and new looking when we looked on Friday but the trans fluid was low & dirty and the coolant tank empty and they found traces of rad stop leak.

I didn't get a chance to measure anything but I did notice that the tires are 215/65R16 so it must have been an optical illusion.

And now we carry on shopping. Unfortunately, due to some financial problems this year we are probably going to end up with something inferior this time but hopefully it will last until we can save up for the next Honda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts