Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope it is going to the correct place!

We recently retired and decided to sell our reliable VW Golf Mk6 for something more fun, and which didn't matter if it became a bit scraped in our busy street outside the house......a disposable fun wagon, if you like.

After much searching for a CRV Exec, we saw one with immaculate interior and exterior, and although 2004, had only 85000 miles on the clock, with a full service history - Bingo! We checked the MOT history (UK) and everything faulty identified was 'usual' for age - and rust was mentioned a couple of times, as you would expect in Scotland where the roads are salted regularly in winter.

I took the vehicle into our trusted local family owned garage, and after putting it up on the ramp for a check the mechanic noticed that the bodywork underneath was quite badly corroded. The mechanic suggested getting the underneath brushed, dried and undersealed to help it last maybe a couple years more.

To cut to the chase (and thanks for reading this far!) when I took it in to the undersealer, he informed me that the rust was too thick to remove and it had formed a 'crust' over the metal underneath - and they didn't want to take it off!

The good news was he reckoned there was still a couple of years left before any holes might appear so my question is.......should I go ahead and undreseal it anyway, (approx £100) to slow the rusting process down, or just run it for a few years until it fails its MOT?

Thanks for your help!

Lassies

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
IMO a loose 'crust' over existing corrosion will only retain moisture and salted road treatments, hastening the demise of the vehicle. Unfortunately, "rust never sleeps"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO a loose 'crust' over existing corrosion will only retain moisture and salted road treatments, hastening the demise of the vehicle. Unfortunately, "rust never sleeps"...
Hi Buff,

Thanks so much for your reply and information! We just decided to go ahead and throw undersealer at it - we love the CRV now, and were so gutted to find out that the underside was in such a state.

If we can keep it on the road for another couple of years then we will be very happy...I'll keep any updates coming re progress.

This club is great as we get replies from all over the world - thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Lassies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick follow-up.......when I picked up the CRV from the coachworks this afternoon, the guy said he'd managed to remove a fair amount of the rusty bits and undersealed as requested.

He was quite upbeat about the prognosis and reckoned that - if any small bodywork holes DID appear - they would be relatively easy (and not prohibitively expensive) to repair, in the event of a MOT fail for this reason.

I left feeling a lot happier that we hadn't bought the proverbial 'lemon'.....and am looking forward to what hopefully will be a couple more years of happy driving our lovely old CRV!

I suppose I could take this opportunity to pass on to other 'older' CRV owners (the vehicle, not the person) the tip to get your vehicle cleaned and undersealed if your roads are salted?!

Cheers for now,

Lassies

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
FWIW our daily-driven '06 is rust-free (except for the attachment bracketry underneath) and I inspect it at every oil change. The unibody is galvanized AFAIK.

They use a LOT of that liquid salt brine here lately (even when slippery conditions are only predicted). That stuff coats everything! Much more than crystal salt/cinder treatments. :mad: Weekly spay-downs with clean water help wash it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts