Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE CR-V OF THE MONTH
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2007 Honda CRV MK3. Pretty sure I have a fault with the ECU as it keeps cutting out and sometimes wont start unless the batteryt light comes on the dash (instead of all the lights flickering on the dash)

I want to remove the ECU and send it away for testing. But its burried up in the dash and looks impossible to get out. Has anyone removed one before?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Look on 'you tube' in search put in make,model and fault and with any luck it will be there.I have a Haines manual for 02-06
crv it shows it to remove cover under main glove box with lock.ECU looks a bit like a humane mouse trap on large wiring loom.remove 2 screws one at top on LHS and further left and about an inch lower in what looks like ally moulding.slide out
locking catches to left near where screws came from another 2 on RHS behind cable entrance to right.top and bottom.unscrew 2 nut and bolt holding to bulkhead once cable connector has been unpluged.The replacement ECU needs to be reprogrammed by Honda with old ECU immobiliser coding,Don't forget to remove (earth/ground) from battery before
you start to remove ECU.Good Luck.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Did all that and much more. There is not a single reference to the Gen 3 ECU (or ECM) location anywhere on YouTube, or Google. Not one. Here folks call it the ECU, but Honda Parts calls it the Engine Control Module. There is nothing on it, for Gen 3 of any year 2007-2011, gas or diesel, anywhere on this forum, Google, or YouTube. You can run searches all day in all these places. You'll get lots of hits, but literally every single one goes to a different generation or model. I've now spent hours on this, to no avail. Even the parts sites, which show the part, do not show its location in the car. Even the factory service manual does not show it ANYWHERE! SO, good luck. If you find it, please post it here for us. Good luck. I give up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've just looked on 'you tube' for 07 Honda crv Mk3 it shows ECU on passenger side under the curved plastic cover on the
inside bottom of the door,it says it is in a box about 10"x4"x1" held by one 10mm bolt and a slide lock ,this is on video 1159.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Yet other sources say the box in that location is the XM satellite radio box. Still other sources say the XM box is inside the right rear cargo area side panels. i've seen sources that say the ECU (ECM) is located in the right side kick panel, or the upper right side floor behind the dash, or the central area behind the dash. Parts diagrams show that general area but are not detailed enough to show exactly.

Video # 1159? There are no numbers on YouTube videos, so you will need to be far more specific. Name of channel (provider) and name and date of video would help, or just post a link here to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry about that, the one I have watched is for a Honda crv 05' Cody the car guy' June 11 2013,I tried putting in channel
(provider) but got no responce.Best of luck.What size engine is yours as from what you say the location seems to be on
the move from year to year and engine size and gas or diesel.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
Mine is a US model '07 EX-L AWD AT. However, in my endless hours of searching I've been unable to nail down a specific answer for any Gen 3, '07-11. Every reference I find does not apply to these models. Google shows tons of them, every last one for a different car, not a CR-V. YouTube is pretty much the same. This is regardless of search parameters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same question as the OP. ...how can I remove the ECU?

Ive got a 2009 2.2 CDTi and have a crank no start issue, and all signs pointing to a faulty pgmfi relay (pre-ignition lights not lighting up). However, on the Diesel model for this model, they've put the relay inside the ECU whereas on the petrol its next to the fuses. So I have found the ECU on the sidewall above the passenger footwell, next to the air cabin filter.

Does anyone know how to gain access to the ECU, as I want to send it off for testing and possible re-furb. the blower motor housing and cabin filter housing is in the way of it and Ideally I just need to drop these down to the floor.

Just for info, the haynes manual covers the petrol version, but not the diesel model.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a disc for the USA 2.4 auto engine model 07-011 in the part that talks about the under-dash fuse/relay box,it says that the imoes unit is part of the fuse box.This is described as the MiCU and shows 3 plugs at the
top of the U/D fuse/relay box and 3 large plugs at the half way point on the back of the fuse box all with locking to
the plugs.The only way I can think of is to ask Honda the price of a fuse/relay box and then the price of a MiCU
fuse/relay box the difference will show if it does contain the MCU.If replacing, imoes is part of the security and has to be re-programmed by Honda.Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think you should disregard most of what I have said above,if you go to ebay.uk and put in this number in advanced search it will come up with a photo of the box with what looks like 3 x 10mm bolt fixing,it also has a
photo of the LHS,which looks to show the 3 plugs to disconnect.It also looks as tho' these sockets hold the lid on,
if these sockets will move outwards it looks to let the lid go.I was thinking maybe you could replace the relay without removing the ECU.Do disconnect the battery before you start.Ebay no.124195566830,You can check
lid no.are the same as yours.Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Turned out the ecu was on the sidewall of the passenger footwell. needed to remove glovebox, harnesses and the whole air blower housing unit (one nut holding it onto the bulkhead was a nightmare to gain access to).

instructions are on post #8 on here Blower / air con / fan high pitch noise

Then the ecu was easy to remove.

I sent them ECU off to these guys in Plymouth: Cartech Electronics Ltd they cloned the ECU to a refurb one and and sent it back, all for £180. ...plugged in the ECU and its fixed the problem

i started to do cartwheels once the new ecu had fixed the problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.