Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,138 Posts
I think the MM makes a lot more sense than the blanket 5000/7500 mile type of service interval.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,950 Posts
IMO, The MM IS a good indicator of engine usage. Our Fit triggers the MM sooner in the winter due to cold starts and stop & go traffic. Summer 'Road-tripping' increases the mileage between oil changes.

+++++++++++

Who remembers 10 - 15 years ago, when automakers had Normal and Severe oil change/maintenance schedules? There was almost always a condition that would cause them the recommend the SEVERE timetable!

·
Registered
340 Posts
no way would I trust it, it has no clue the condition of your oil or its level.
It infers oil condition from operating conditions over time. This is certainly more meaningful then the ever popular but absolutely meaningless "look at the dipstick to see if the oil looks 'dirty'" method. No it doesn't know level. Do you depend on frequent oil changes to assure the oil level never gets too low?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It infers oil condition from operating conditions over time. This is certainly more meaningful then the ever popular but absolutely meaningless "look at the dipstick to see if the oil looks 'dirty'" method. No it doesn't know level. Do you depend on frequent oil changes to assure the oil level never gets too low?
this has already been hashed out, read it all then get back to me

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...es-etc-gen-5/152418-oil-life-our-vehicle.html

·
Super Moderator
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,283 Posts
Who remembers 10 - 15 years ago, when automakers had Normal and Severe oil change/maintenance schedules? There was almost always a condition that would cause them the recommend the SEVERE timetable!
Shoot, oil companies are still talking about normal and severe oil change schedule. Reading on Valvoline's website everything is basically "severe" and they recommend changing the oil every 3-4K miles and that's with using synthetic. I think it's ridiculous personally.

·
Registered
340 Posts
this has already been hashed out, read it all then get back to me
I didn't read all 11 pages. Just the first and last page was enough to convince me there was nothing new in that thread. This same discussion has occurred on every Honda autos forum since MM was first introduced. (We had an '04 Acura TL; IIRC, it was the first of four Hondas we've had with MM.) I've still seen nothing in Internet forums or my own experience that a) makes me not trust MM as "good enough", b) makes me feel compelled to change oil every 3 month/3k miles (or other fixed but arbitrary values), or c) any reason to assume that looking at the stick to see if the oil is "dirty" is a meaningful indication of ANYTHING. The high time Hondas I see around here all seem to run much better than their bodywork would suggest they might--permit me to doubt they all have had much more frequent oil changes than Honda recommends. If you want to ignore MM, think you have a better method, get a thrill from frequently changing your oil, or whatever, more power to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.