Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just a week or two ago I installed Monroe quick struts on the rear of my 2004 CR-V. My old struts had 130k on them and were worn out and sloppy. I immediately notice the Monroe quick struts felt about the same as my worn out ones. They did not restore the ride back to the firm, taught, if not slightly choppy highway ride and solid handling I used to enjoy. Instead they were bouncy, kind of like an older American car. Upon removal, I notice that the Monroe strut assembly was at least 1/2" taller than the OE one. The springs were slightly thicker and larger as well. I then bought a pair of KYB struts and put them on with the OE springs. I should have done this in the first place because the difference was night and day over the Monroe. The ride was again firm and handling was stable. I have my old CR-V back.
I called Monroe to take them up on their money back claim. I do not like doing this and I am not that guy who always has a problem with everything. I have never done this before in my life. I explained to the tech that I thought they were a poor replacement and did not match the OEM ride at all. I believe maybe the spring is too stiff for the strut. Not sure. At any rate I found them difficult to pry into the lower control arm where the bottom 17mm bolt goes through. It was actually much easier to compress the spring and swap out the strut than the pry the oversized replacement in. And yes I did confirm I had the correct part number with the tech.
The tech said he checked his records and found no other complaints on this product which surprises me.
If you are a car enthusiast at all and appreciate the decent handling and firm ride of these CR-v's (for what they are), do yourself a favor and get the KYB struts and keep the OEM springs. Don't think your springs are worn out as well because mine seem great with the new struts. Or if you want to replace the springs don't use these. Get OEM from Honda.
I have bought the front KYB's and looking forward to installing them. I am more than happy to compress the springs to change them out over the Monroes.
So do any of you have experience with the quick struts? I can't imagine being happy with them unless you live somewhere flat with straight roads. Here in WV the roads are winding and hilly and any differences in handling are immediately apparent.

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great information Jon.

I have a 2006 with 140k on it and struts mayby on my list for repairs once this dam winter ends. lol

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great information Jon, this will help people in the future. I also had a heck of a time prying the rear Monroes in, I actually unbolted the trailing arm to help, but it was still a drag. My right rear strut creaks badly, I've got a new one and I'll be replacing it tomorrow. I'll update my thread when I get done. I really hope it gets rid of my noise. You're right about the ride quality, it's nothing special. If I was to do this all over again, I would probably get either KYBs or Honda OEM struts. Oh well, live and learn. I have saved myself a lot of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I was the only one with this problem! I ordered these rear assemblies from Rock Auto and I could not, for the life of me, get these installed without compressing the spring. I noticed that they were about 1.5" or more taller than the OEM assy.

One thing that I found interesting was Rockauto sent me one "Quick Strut" and the other was from Monroe but a different name (It might be "Complete Strut"). The Quick-Strut assembly was really difficult to install and immediately started squeaking but the other model was a perfect fit! I am not sure what is going on but I will be contacting Monroe as well. This is pretty frustrating so I will likely do what the OP suggested and get KYB shocks instead of swapping the entire assembly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Dangkhoavu

I am about to purchase from rockauto this week, your post just stop me from doing it until I do my research.

so how is the ride after the replacement? Want to know is there any difference from the ride and how hard to install the new one?

I am plan to do it myself, so want to know how long it takes you do to it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I was planning on swapping my shocks soon as well as the crv now has about 300,000 km on it. I have had the Crv since 230,000 km ago and i doubt anyone before me swapped the shocks. It still rides great but I will most likely be swapping them out in a couple of months. I was considering going with the monroe since its lifetime warranty but if its going to be a hassle with ride quality then i'll pass.

What was your outcome after talking to the monroe tech?

·
Registered
4 Posts
a comment and a question. i ordered front and rear monroe quickstruts from rockauto. i put them all 4 on and the rear left one is rattling like a bolt in a can. as others said, they are a bout 3/4" taller than the oem ones i took off. to make it easy i removed the bolts on the lower control arm and sway bar. not too hard then to get in. so i am getting a new one to see what the deal was. the shock/strut mount was about 90 degrees out from where it should have been and when i straightened it out with a 2 foot bar, it twisted up the plastic and rubber on the bottom of the top mount. the other one just rotated easily and had no issues.

the question is this. up inside the upper mounting area is a piece of metal like an arm. it is attached on the bottom ad can be bent up and down. what is it for/?

tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
edward9800 i did all 4 quickstruts. front left (first one) took about 90 min. front right took 20 min. left rear took about 90. right rear about 20 min.

i do have a lift and all the proper tools. it does help to have someone helping you.

but one of my 4 quick struts sounded horrible. waiting for a eplacement

tom

·
Registered
104 Posts
I installed Monroe Quick-Struts on the rear of my 2nd gen about 6 months / 15K miles ago. Had the same issue others described with the new assemblies being longer than the worn out OEM parts, which required some finagling to get the lower bolt to line up. I don't know if it was related, but shortly after, my rear sway bar also started making a lot of noise, so I changed the end links with the more robust Moog links, and new bushings too, which fixed the noise. I use this vehicle primarily for doing deliveries over city roads of often poor quality, so the suspension is taking a beating. So far, I have no complaints about the Monroe units. I chose them over KYB assemblies because of a bad experience I had with those on an Audi (the strut mounts in their units were terrible).

Recently I have also discovered that the PO of my vehicle used Prime Choice / StruTEK assemblies (i.e. the cheapest Chinese junk) on the front of my vehicle. Those only have 30K on them, and they are pretty much toast. Both bellows have torn apart, the ride quality is deteriorating, and the shop couldn't quite get the alignment in spec last week when I took it in w/o using some kind of adjustment bolt on the strut. Just going to put Monroe assemblies on the front too...lifetime warranty at least.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Now that I have 4x Monroe Quick-Struts, I don't really see what the issue is people are having with ride quality on them. I just finished the struts, all new sway bar links and bushings, front control arms, and tie rod ends. The car is riding and handling better than ever, and totally absent of any clunking noises now. I do a lot of brisk / semi-aggressive driving over garbage roads in the city too doing deliveries 15-20 hours / week. I admit though that I never had stock springs + struts in good condition to compare though.

Quality control issues, that I can see. I opened one of the boxes to check them out, and it looked fine, but didn't notice until everything was torn apart that the other front strut assembly had somehow been packaged and shipped out without the bellows or bump stopper installed. Never even heard of that before, but thankfully I got them locally, and it was replaced without much hassle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So just a week or two ago I installed Monroe quick struts on the rear of my 2004 CR-V. My old struts had 130k on them and were worn out and sloppy. I immediately notice the Monroe quick struts felt about the same as my worn out ones. They did not restore the ride back to the firm, taught, if not slightly choppy highway ride and solid handling I used to enjoy. Instead they were bouncy, kind of like an older American car. Upon removal, I notice that the Monroe strut assembly was at least 1/2" taller than the OE one. The springs were slightly thicker and larger as well. I then bought a pair of KYB struts and put them on with the OE springs. I should have done this in the first place because the difference was night and day over the Monroe. The ride was again firm and handling was stable. I have my old CR-V back.
I called Monroe to take them up on their money back claim. I do not like doing this and I am not that guy who always has a problem with everything. I have never done this before in my life. I explained to the tech that I thought they were a poor replacement and did not match the OEM ride at all. I believe maybe the spring is too stiff for the strut. Not sure. At any rate I found them difficult to pry into the lower control arm where the bottom 17mm bolt goes through. It was actually much easier to compress the spring and swap out the strut than the pry the oversized replacement in. And yes I did confirm I had the correct part number with the tech.
The tech said he checked his records and found no other complaints on this product which surprises me.
If you are a car enthusiast at all and appreciate the decent handling and firm ride of these CR-v's (for what they are), do yourself a favor and get the KYB struts and keep the OEM springs. Don't think your springs are worn out as well because mine seem great with the new struts. Or if you want to replace the springs don't use these. Get OEM from Honda.
I have bought the front KYB's and looking forward to installing them. I am more than happy to compress the springs to change them out over the Monroes.
So do any of you have experience with the quick struts? I can't imagine being happy with them unless you live somewhere flat with straight roads. Here in WV the roads are winding and hilly and any differences in handling are immediately apparent.

Thanks

Jon
UPDATE - None of the You Tube Videos I watched showed this - have a good long pry bar handy to push down on the control arm to gain clearance to re-install the large steering knuckle bolts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
In my opinion, based off of personal experience, I would avoid these Monroe Quick Struts like the plague. I’ve had mine installed for over two years now, and the ride quality isn’t near what it was with my OEM struts, and the front ones clunk when going over certain bumps. Overall, I’d give them 2.5/5 stars.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
My choice would have been Monroe OESpectrum. To each their own.
QuickStruts use the OESpectrum struts in the assembly. The cheaper of their struts are the RoadMatic units.

I used OESpectrum struts in our TL with no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.