Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a WeatherTech Wind Deflector or a Honda Moon Roof Wind Deflector? Which one is preferred?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been looking at both and think I will go with the Weathertech as they don't use the adhesive-backed protector strips like the Honda one does. The Weathertech has a rubber gasket that looks like it both protects the paint and serves as a seal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking at both and think I will go with the Weathertech as they don't use the adhesive-backed protector strips like the Honda one does. The Weathertech has a rubber gasket that looks like it both protects the paint and serves as a seal.
I actually just ordered the WeatherTech wind deflector and the Hood protector 5 minutes ago.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I ordered the Honda one and sent it back as soon as I opened the box. The plastic is made from is *so* dark, it might was well be black. (As in, I could barely see the sun through it.) This means it ends up blocking much of the light that is the whole point of a sunroof to begin with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Want a official Honda one watch the clip. let me know if it was Adhired on Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ih2YoB8KZc

Nice vid, and it shows the Honda has a rubber seal/gasket too, something that wasn't clear to see on the CollegeHills site.

P.S. - Loved your Big O Dawg vid. It was a good day when they finally started carrying Nathan's around here a couple years ago ! :Drool:

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
other companies can be adhesive. And 3m tape is preferred so make sure that is what they use? if not tight they will move. and to tight can damage.

This has been on the car for close to two years, and anotehr three years the Life is where it can oxidize, get brittle and break.

The Uv protection and coloring is spot on you are not to see through it , to some it is an issue, the roof to begin is not large enough to see through in a position so , it makes no difference if you can see a few less inches. You want protection against hte Sun and rain not seeing through plastic that simply OXIDIZED and discolored. that you must think why it is SMOKED.

Hot Dawg, and Big ) is a good ting thanks for that comment and all.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Just my 2 cents on this, you can take it or leave it.

Three months after getting my 2018 CR-V I bought the Honda Deflector.
One Month after that I removed it.
It was the only accessory purchase I ever made for the vehicle that I regretted. Within days of putting it on I knew I had a problem but I hoped I would be able to live with it.

The Reasons it sucks:

1) Leaves, Dirt and even Water literately get sucked under that little hood and stay their out of sight. You open the Moon roof while driving and all that crap comes flying down on you in the car. After that first experience of leaves and dust in my face the only time I ever opened it again was right after I washed the car and made sure under there was super clean.

2) The rubber gasket on the deflector that rests on the cars roof has a V shaped channel that goes around the edge and that rubber also has tiny weep holes that should let water out but water actually gets trapped in the gasket and clogged in by the dirt. When I removed mine after only 4 weeks of use I found that so much dirt and tree leaf juice had accumulated in that channel that it left a brown green stain on my white paint (And yes it was still wet in that channel even though the car had not been through water for a week). Luckily I got to it early enough that it only took about TWO HOURS of scrubbing the paint to get the stain out. Actually near the end I used a Clay Bar to get out the remaining green stain. If I had left that on the car for six months I am almost certain the paint would have needed to be machine buffed. Two years and it would have probably rusted holes in the roof.

3) Cleaning the vehicle became much more of a chore as I had to get my hand and the cloth under that slim area and clean out all the leaves and dirt. I could power blast most of it out but a soapy rag still had to go into that area to clean it and it was not easy to see if it was really clean or dry unless you took your chances and retracted the roof.

4) I some how imagined the wind spoiler would look cool on the CR-V. In fact IMHO it looked like crap! Your taste may vary so that is subjective.

Rob

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a WeatherTech Wind Deflector or a Honda Moon Roof Wind Deflector? Which one is preferred?
Just installed new WeatherTech Wind Deflector. IT has a rubber gasket all the way the entire length of deflector. It is held on with 2 clips, one at each corner and does not have the small drain holes like the Honda deflector has. Also installed the hood protector which does go on with 3m adhesive tape which is already on protector. Took about 25 minutes to install both.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts

It was the only accessory purchase I ever made for the vehicle that I regretted. Within days of putting it on I knew I had a problem but I hoped I would be able to live with it.

The Reasons it sucks:

1) Leaves, Dirt and even Water literately get sucked under that little hood and stay their out of sight. You open the Moon roof while driving and all that crap comes flying down on you in the car. After that first experience of leaves and dust in my face the only time I ever opened it again was right after I washed the car and made sure under there was super clean.

2) The rubber gasket on the deflector that rests on the cars roof has a V shaped channel that goes around the edge and that rubber also has tiny weep holes that should let water out but water actually gets trapped in the gasket and clogged in by the dirt. When I removed mine after only 4 weeks of use I found that so much dirt and tree leaf juice had accumulated in that channel that it left a brown green stain on my white paint (And yes it was still wet in that channel even though the car had not been through water for a week). Luckily I got to it early enough that it only took about TWO HOURS of scrubbing the paint to get the stain out. Actually near the end I used a Clay Bar to get out the remaining green stain. If I had left that on the car for six months I am almost certain the paint would have needed to be machine buffed. Two years and it would have probably rusted holes in the roof.

3) Cleaning the vehicle became much more of a chore as I had to get my hand and the cloth under that slim area and clean out all the leaves and dirt. I could power blast most of it out but a soapy rag still had to go into that area to clean it and it was not easy to see if it was really clean or dry unless you took your chances and retracted the roof.

4) I some how imagined the wind spoiler it would look cool on the CR-V. In fact IMO it looked like crap! Your taste may vary so that is subjective.

Rob
This way He can eat his words> Never offending here.

1. I agree you have to pay attention, seems you did not Lol not offending you

2. I will go inspect mine and do an Update, and see what colors lie under there for you.

3. cleaning it of course more you add obsitcals the funner it gets.

4. Agree. over time or on the spot that is the decisions we make. takes one rock to hit it and its in the trash.

I'll report back with an Update video we all have opinions and entitled to them. stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
Here is How Honda designed their stripping it is made a spacific way for their reasons and drain areas as well. I can not explain as well as our other members that find it troublesome for their applications. so for now until I get that chance.

I see no green slime. I see it needs cleaning, is that not what detailing is about.

centennial bank customer care

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts

The Reasons it sucks:

4) I some how imagined the wind spoiler it would look cool on the CR-V. In fact IMO it looked like crap! Your taste may vary so that is subjective.

Rob
Excellent points and feedback. Now that you pointed it out.. I can see how moonroof wind deflectors can be collectors of dirt and leaves. Your typical wind deflector is going to have some amount of rollback of wind around and under the trailing edge of the deflector. Not to mention.. just sitting somewhere.. local breezes will have a field day with pushing stuff under the deflectors trailing edge.

I have never put one on a vehicle.. but with your points shared here.. I definitely would not put one on now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Here is How Honda designed their stripping it is made a spacific way for their reasons and drain areas as well. I can not explain as well as our other members that find it troublesome for their applications. so for now until I get that chance.

I see no green slime. I see it needs cleaning, is that not what detailing is about.

centennial bank customer care

You have to remove it to see the stuff that is left under the rubber. It might be difficult to film how bad it is on a dark vehicle but on a white one it's clear as day.

BTW
In your fist picture you can see the V channel laying down on the cars body and the gap left inside.

In your second picture I can already see the edges of tiny leaves or dirt that are blocking up the semi circular area by the drain holes.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Excellent points and feedback. Now that you pointed it out.. I can see how moonroof wind deflectors can be collectors of dirt and leaves. Your typical wind deflector is going to have some amount of rollback of wind around and under the trailing edge of the deflector. Not to mention.. just sitting somewhere.. local breezes will have a field day with pushing stuff under the deflectors trailing edge.

I have never put one on a vehicle.. but with your points shared here.. I definitely would not put one on now.
Yep it creates a Vacuum in there as you drive forward and seems to pull in all the dust and dirt.
Park under a tree and the leaves seem to head to it like a magnet. It can get really nasty under there in just a few days. For those who want to try it, go for it. I am just telling you my story.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
You have to remove it to see the stuff that is left under the rubber. It might be difficult to film how bad it is on a dark vehicle but on a white one it's clear as day.

BTW
In your fist picture you can see the V channel laying down on the cars body and the gap left inside.

In your second picture I can already see the edges of tiny leaves or dirt that are blocking up the semi circular area by the drain holes.
I am a Owner of two white cars as well. so seeing Pollen that is life. time to get the feathers out...

when my parts come and I have the car to do I shall show-n-tell.

Remember open the sunroof and travel in hthe rain you will be dry, just do not stop you'll then get wet, why we use a Moonroof cover, and well just watch out for the spiders and junk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is my new WEatherTech Hood Protector and Wind Deflector installed. The wind deflector seems to be many times more quiet than the Honda deflector I had on my 2013 CRV

IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
the Honda Sits a lot lower I had preferred perfect fit back then made for Honda

·
Registered
29 Posts
is there some have a picture with the moonroof deflector on, i was looking as a front view of the car, couldnt find one as google only showed the top with the moonroof deflector installed, i just want to see it , if it looks nice, im going for aesthetic purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I disagree. Had these on my two Nissan Maxima's a 2003, and 2008, for 18 and 12 years, Never had a problem with trash or dirt but I did keep these cars inside and clean. Now I've got this Honda 2020 CR-V and considering a moon roof deflector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have had a Honda Moon Roof Wind Deflector and Moon Roof on two CRV's for one year and they're perfect. Highly recommend over after market products. Pay the extra and get Honda quality

1 - 20 of 21 Posts