Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shattering sunroof glass has been in the news a lot lately and some attempts are being made to legislate a requirement for laminated safety glass instead of tempered glass. Consumer Reports could only get Honda to state that laminated safety glass was being used for Pilot panoramic glass roofs and moonroofs on "some other" models. Does anyone have any idea what is being used for the CR-V moonroofs?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Tempered glass in 2017.......according to the label on the glass.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go to your local tint shop and have them apply a clear or nearly-clear tint to the sunroof. You can also get some nearly-clear films that block most of the UV light, so you not only prevent a shower of glass when it shatters, you also help keep the inside cool.

Regardless, it's safety glass, the same stuff the side & back windows are made of. When it shatters, it crumbles. No dangerous shards of glass like normal house windows.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Don't assume, check the label on the glass.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since no one with a 2020 has responded, it's probably best to just check for yourself at your nearest dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just checked, our 2020 Touring has tempered moonroof glass. I never thought about adding a tint film to it, but sounds like a good thing. I will look into it. I must say though, we had a 2011 Rav4 with a moonroof and it never shattered in the nine years of ownership. We plan on using our CRV for more extended road trips, so it might be more vulerable. Maybe the reason for the increased number of reports of moonroof glass shattering is because so many more cars care coming with it as a standard feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While tempered glass can suddenly break into little bits from uneven temperatures on the glass or impact, it is not common and not disastrous unless the surprise makes you wreak the car. From what I have heard, this has been especially an issue with BMW's and panoramic roofs. My Accord moonroof before the current CR-V was not a problem, and I am not worried now. Just curious. When they demonstrated the problem on TV, they used a sledge hammer.

As someone already stated, all cars use tempered glass for the side windows. Only the windshield is regulated to be laminated safety glass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had a moonroof in my present car for nearly 7 years and my new CRV which I will get in a couple of weeks has a moonroof
Up till now I have not been worried at all

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
So when the Honda CRV came out, the spare was hit, the actual tailgate shattered. Today Your Moon roof, sunroof Pannoroof breaks.

Flex?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Exactly. The first car I had a glass sunroof in was a 1980 Honda Civic, and we had that one cut into the roof aftermarket! Since then, I have owned 6 cars with glass sunroofs, and over the past 40 years have never had any issues and have never thought about it for 2 seconds. What a world we live in!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts