Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 CRV AWD automatic and Ive been meaning to change the transmission fluid for a while. The previous owner changed it before he sold it at 203k miles because it was shifting hard into second. But ever since I bought it thats not been a problem but a code has come on for the transmission clutch solenoid not functioning properly, I took it to a transmission shop to get an opinion and he said the torque converter is probably failing and on its way out. My gas mileage has stayed the same and it tends to slip after 25mins of driving when the fluid gets up to temp or hotter at least.

Anyways i finally got around to draining the trans fluid today(209.5k miles) and about 4.5 quarts came out and it took like 10mins. This was unfortunate as I only had 4 quarts and it wasnt showing up on the dipstick when running im neutral but it showed half full when engine was shut off(I was on level ground. So I went to the honda dealer and got some more and put in another 20oz. Is it abnormal that more than the 3.3 quarts or whatever came up than was supposed to?

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
619 Posts
Since you mentioned a bad TC, I'd suggest checking up the TCC solenoid. Make sure its clean and that if there is a mesh filter that it is 100% clean and free of debris.
Idk if you are aware but you need to drain and refill the transm. 3 times in a row driving the vehicle for a few miles in between each drain and refill.
Is the driving temp gauge at normal level?(if equiped).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the transmission shop I took it to the guy had a scan tool and graphs and he said it looked like the torque converter solenoid was activating like it should. and the others graphs looked fine. Yeah I was gonna change the fluid another time in a few miles or so(I figured it should be close to enough to 3 since it was drained and filled only 7k miles ago. I wanna get a new transmission fluid filter to do with that change. I'm not gonna drop the transmission pan and pull out the mechatronics to take a look at that as there is hardly any information on it online and I'm not taking it to a shop as I'm not gonna drop anything serious into it, as I payed $2400 for it. Thanks for the suggestion though. Still doesn't answer why 4.5 quarts came out when only 3.3 was supposed to. And yes the engine temp gauge stays perfectly fine even on 100+ mile trips stays exactly a tad under the halfway point, I wish I had a transmission temp gauge though.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
508 Posts
the internal filter screen is not serviceable with the transmission in the vehicle but the inline filter should be changed only use an OE honda inline filter 25430-PLR-003 or use a brand called Magnefine 3/8" is what I use,also when checking the fluid level it should be warmed up and level and engine off only ,the level will be wrong on the dipstick if you check it with the engine running,you may be able to get more life out of it by cleaning the screens on the solenoids and the 2 fluid transfer tube screens ,what happens often is the inline filter clogs and the bypass lets debris into the system and the little screens get clogged and damage happens from slippage from lack of fluid flow,for transmission fluid temperature I use the Autel AP200 about 75$ that reads all of the vehicle modules data including transmission temperature

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks, I need to take off the lower/front splash guard to access the inline filter correct? The two bolts at the front do not want to come out they are very rusty and just spin in place and dont thread out, is there something I'm missing? Or should I just drill them out or something.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
619 Posts
The scanner only reads the electrical operation of the transm. Components.
if there is a bit of dirt restricting flow of ATF the scanner can not pick that up. It only knows if the solenoid is either good or bad(aside from operating them).
A partially restricted filter mesh won't be picked by the scanner, you need to remove the solenoid(they are external afaik) and clean it up.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
619 Posts
Only 3 things comes to mind to end up with more fluid than stipulated in the owners manual.
1. It was overfilled at some point.
2. I don't know if there is a chance one of the transmission solenoids is stuck open allowing some ATF out.
3. Again IDK if draining the transmission while the vehicle is at an angle or incline may allow some extra fluid out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Incline only drains about 3.25 quarts out to completely drain one has to dissemble the tranx and torque converter to remove all fluid. But if one does at the V's change indicator then just drain refill at 3.25 will be more then sufficient. Also it would be good to know what the CEL code was that will help the rest of us know what happening. I would say first test your shift solenoid to see if those are bad not the actual tranx itself. Otherwise you will be throwing away good money if you don't eliminate if the solenoid is the cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I think maybe previous owner overfilled it, like I probably did filling it. But it did not show anything on the dip stick when I added 3.25 quarts, and not in between cross hatching with 4 quarts in. I understand that It wasn't at operating temp but how the hell do they expect me to go out and drive my car around if I have a possibly dangerously low amount of fluid in to see if its within the marks.
Yes it was on flat ground I didn't even jack the car up at all. The shift solenoids aren't the problem, and besides there's nothing online that tells me what the specific gear or function they do, it just says solenoid assembly A or B. The POTENTIALLY (not saying it is) problematic solenoid is the lockup solenoid which if you look up there's no information on, parts stores like advanced auto don't even have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts