Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2004 CRV with 130,000 miles on it. Lately we find that every morning when we turn on the ignition for a few seconds, 2 seconds or so, nothing happens, no sound, nothing. But if we hold the key long enough, the engine cranks over. We replaced the starter assembly, but that did not do it. The battery and connections are fine as well. Once the car warms up, there is no problem. My mechanic has no idea what is going on. Any ideas? Thanks much!

Mark

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
Anything happen when you jiggle the key up and down (when in the START position)?

Engine grounds checked?

I'd say, next step is to replace the ignition switch.

Do any drivers of the vehicle have a lot of keys hanging from the ring? The extra weight can cause the switch to fail or the lock tumblers to wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Jiggling the key didn't seem to do anything. But regardless, why would this only happen when the engine is cold an then not again?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The electrical contacts in the ignition may be affected by the colder temps.
Do more googling on that switch and temp.
Hopefully it is just the electrical part, esp if the dash lights don't light up either.
Just wild guessing.
Ignition switch and bat connections and grounds are the primary suspects.
Also, as CarBuff2 suggested, check the battery connections and the grounding strap connections (2 main ones, one from the neg bat cable to the frame and the other from the frame , near the top of the radiator to the engine.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mark, welcome to the forum. As o/p stated, double check the ground connections. I did not see any mention as to age of battery, this type of problem is hard to detect. I would suggest going to Auto patrs or WalMart and have the battery tested, it's free service.
As for the ignition switch recall bulletin, I went on Honda.com site, and my 1997 VIN # has an OPEN recall, which mine has never had any indication of a problem. I would suggest doing the same if problem continues. JMHO. Good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with Ignition switch theory, also starter relay, emc relay etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all who responded with helpful suggestions regarding the problem we are having with the slow start in the morning. I will investigate each one and let you know. I do appreciate the help on this long holiday weekend. (Maybe our Honda, given its age, just needs a little more coffee in the morning to get going more quickly :)

Happy holidays!
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts