Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Motion Sensor of Lift Gate of my 2017 CRW AWD Touring appears not to work when I kick my leg under the center of rear bumper. Any setup needed or suggestion or help? User manual does not say anything. Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My EX-L doesn't have the feature, but I was able to make it work on a demo model at the dealer when the salesman couldn't. I think I just "kicked" closer to the bumper than he did.

You could also go through the menus " Home / Settings / Vehicle / Power Tailgate Setup / Handsfree Access Mode" and see how it is set.

Page 152 of the manual shows the "technique". Page 352 shows the settings flowchart.

tailgate.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
what worked for me is doing a kick motion near the beneath the bumper where ur foot is kind of aiming towards the left or right side license plate but within the box, also doing so with a kick motion that is done in half a second. Leaving your foot up or taking longer seems to not activate the liftgate sensor.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It actually needs very little motion. I was over doing it at first, waving my foot around all over the place. Finally I got it right and all it needs is a slow movement but in the right place and in the right direction (upward). It just takes practice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How deep do you have to put your foot in order to make it work? Do you need to use it in the middle of bumper or? For some reason after installing REAR BAR BUMPER PROTECTOR GRILL GUARD I can not open lift gate with my foot

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How deep do you have to put your foot in order to make it work? Do you need to use it in the middle of bumper or? For some reason after installing REAR BAR BUMPER PROTECTOR GRILL GUARD I can not open lift gate with my foot
I am not sure about that part you installed but could it be blocking the sensor? I know when you install the trailer hitch you need to get a different mounting bracket for the sensor to move it where the hitch won't obstruct its "view" of your moving foot. Since it worked before you installed this new part one might suspect that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am not sure about that part you installed but could it be blocking the sensor? I know when you install the trailer hitch you need to get a different mounting bracket for the sensor to move it where the hitch won't obstruct its "view" of your moving foot. Since it worked before you installed this new part one might suspect that has something to do with it.
I installed this rear-bumper.jpg

Nothing is blocking sensor . I think. Brackets are far apart from sensor.(if sensor is on the middle of bumper)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does it mounted on bumper or behind?

Pookh007
Pookh007,

First, your CRV must be 2017 CRV AWD Touring. If yes, no sweat, that is the little "electronic eye" above your license plate area, on the left. That "eye" is easily to be recognized. Kick your leg slightly under the bumper and under that "eye". Please report it works for you 101%.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the eye you mean back up camera if so i tried no luck

Pookh007
Pook,
Please carefully study the charts and instruction by Punchy in this thread. It should work. I also used to get some issues with this motion sensing lift gate. But I can "kick leg" and open the lift gate now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pook,
Please carefully study the charts and instruction by Punchy in this thread. It should work. I also used to get some issues with this motion sensing lift gate. But I can "kick leg" and open the lift gate now.
Be sure to bring your CRV car key with you when you try to open the lift gate.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was a bit frustrated by this thing at first. After a bit I got the hang of it and now I just walk up and move my foot upward around the middle of the bumper and it works 100% of the time. One thing I did notice and it may just be me, but it seemed if I started moving my foot around too much the thing wouldn't work. Finally I learned to just do a slow swing up with my foot in the center and then to step back. There is a delay in it opening and I wonder if we don't start swinging our feet around in frustration and that might screw up the process. I have no idea. I do know mine was a PIA when I got it but now works 100%. It wasn't the car's fault, it was "operator error" on my part.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Kick leg slightly in front of the little sensor which looks like a little camera lense.
...that is the little "electronic eye" above your license plate area, on the left. That "eye" is easily to be recognized. Kick your leg slightly under the bumper and under that "eye".
The camera lens near the license plate frame has nothing to do with the hands-free liftgate operation. It is only for the reverse camera.

The hands free liftgate sensor has no externally visible parts. It's all under the plastic bumper cover.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't have this model, but my friend reports that she has to kick her foot exactly perpendicular to the bumper. If she has any angle on her foot, it won't open.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was a bit frustrated by this thing at first. After a bit I got the hang of it and now I just walk up and move my foot upward around the middle of the bumper and it works 100% of the time. One thing I did notice and it may just be me, but it seemed if I started moving my foot around too much the thing wouldn't work. Finally I learned to just do a slow swing up with my foot in the center and then to step back. There is a delay in it opening and I wonder if we don't start swinging our feet around in frustration and that might screw up the process. I have no idea. I do know mine was a PIA when I got it but now works 100%. It wasn't the car's fault, it was "operator error" on my part.

Thanks, Hans471. I need to "practice" more with your instruction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts