Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I don't think many people will argue that the 2019 RAV4 was never going to win any awards for great looks and the pictures of the interior made it look a bit less refined than the CR-V so no surprise there. The real tests will come after the 20th when I think Toyota will allow real world reviews of engine and handling. Who knows, it's nice that people have a choice between two nice budget priced SUV's. I am looking forward to what the other reviewers have to say when the gag order is lifted.

Rob

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Go to YouTube you will find several reviews on the 2019 RAV4. I sort of like the style with the black roof.
Yes I still think the CRV outshine the RAV4 spec wise ....... better mileage, speed, more space .... and the RVA4 is louder

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
They commented on how "tinny" the doors on the RAV4 sounded when closing, like they also experienced in the latest Camry. We rented a current Camry on a 4 or 5 day vacation recently, and I was very surprised how tinny the doors sounded when closing, I thought maybe the rental had been in an accident and sound insulation had been left out during repairs. I guess not, as Motor Trend commented on it as well.

We had been a multi Toyota family for many years, guess that is not in our future anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Go to YouTube you will find several reviews on the 2019 RAV4. I sort of like the style with the black roof.
Yes I still think the CRV outshine the RAV4 spec wise ....... better mileage, speed, more space .... and the RAV4 is louder
Holy Crap there seems to have been a ton of videos released in just the last 24 hours!
About a month ago I saw the first reviews but all off them stated up front that they could not discuss any details like HP, Handling etc. until Nov 20th. I guess I lost track of the whole thing, but thanks, I will take a look at these new videos that actually have opinions and details.

Rob

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
The RAV4 engine is "coarse, unrefined, and obnoxiously loud." And the steering is "dead". Game over as far as I'm concerned.
Though my guess is the hybrid RAV4 might be the one to wait for. Particularly for AWD performance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I keep having hopes around Toyota but have yet to drive one that I don’t think is unrefined compared to the Honda counterpart. The hybrid rav4 does sound interesting with it long driving range. The most annoying Honda thing for me right now is the small gas tank.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The RAV4 engine is "coarse, unrefined, and obnoxiously loud." And the steering is "dead". Game over as far as I'm concerned.
Though my guess is the hybrid RAV4 might be the one to wait for. Particularly for AWD performance.
I am still waiting for a comparison video review between the RAV and CRV. I have been a Toyota guy for nearly 17 years and I am really hoping that it is at least has an upper hand over the CR-V in some areas. So far I have watched 4 videos released today and I am not hearing anything really bad about it but I am concerned about the loud engine noise, rough gear box and questionable handling.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
For years we bought Toyotas over Hondas, one of the reasons being lower interior noise levels on virtually every Toyota we test drove versus the comparable Honda model. We found the 5th Gen CR-V to be quieter than the 2018 RAV4, as well as other things the CRV offered that RAV4 didn't.

If the 2019 RAV4 has a loud, course sounding engine, the trend toward Honda continues for us. Besides interior quietness, other of our top priorities when we shop for a new vehicle are refinement, and fuel economy. According to this review/comparison article, it looks like the RAV4 misses on 2 out of 3 of those critical areas for us. Add that it doesn't have Android Auto... The only consideration is the Hybrid available on the RAV4. I sure hope Honda brings their Hybrid CR-V to the States soon!

Toyota was always known for quiet vehicles, and Honda, not so much. Honda is making improvements in this area.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oh great. If this is true, then I'm stuck with the CRV. Dang it. Was hoping the 2019 RAV4 would offer me a compelling reason to jump over and rid myself of the CRV and its problem (for which Honda can't seem to fix).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not impressed with the new gas Rav4, but I am the Hybrid.

No mention of Android Auto either, but a host of other connectivity. Wonder if that was a miss, or if they really left it out of their latest Entune system.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have to admit I'm surprised the new Rav4 didn't review better given the time Toyota had to develop it. It must be a sign of the times with a rush to production mentality. I'm not in the market for a new crossover but there are some clear benefits the new Rav4:

- No Turbo
- Both Port and Direct Injection
- Almost 60% stiffer chassis
- 8 speed auto in non-hybrid version
- Improved AWD design/performance

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ok comparing the 2 I'd go the rav 4 hands down.

The CRV looks like the gen 3, half the grill is missing look. Ugly as sin.

FI instead of DI engine choice and non-cvt options.

Though interior is a bit less refined, can tell Toyota is the only one with any brains, putting the infotainment screen UP HIGH so your eyes arent completely removed from the road like every other car out there. Infotainment systems I think should not exist in cars anyway because it's the same as texting and driving (distracted driving)which is more dangerous than drunk driving.

Thankfully I'm perfectly happy driving older and more proven vehicles, got far better things to do with my money than drive a brand new vehicle with continuously increasing junk to compensate for bad drivers and distract others, all of which makes cost of ownership skyrocket because of the costs of repairs when they fail as well.

That's me though. I dont need a fancy vehicle (neither does my wife) no matter what we can afford. And in that sense, the Rav4 fits better and looks better too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
I saw that mini-comparison and was rather disappointed but also realize this is just one review and there will be many more to come by others.

I first started looking/comparing the CR-V to the RAV4 a touch over 15 years ago as I've been a Toyota fan. I personally have had some really good luck with all of the Toyota/Lexus vehicles I have owned and have several other family members as well as friends who I believe would make the same statement. I test drove an early gen 2 CR-V shortly after they were introduced and thought it was a great vehicle for the money. It was a windy day in KC and there was a Toyota dealer literally around the corner so I went and drove a comparably equipped RAV4. The engine itself seemed to make a great deal of noise, there was definitely more cabin noise in general and I could barely keep the vehicle on the road. I drove two RAV4's back-to-back over the same roads I had just driven the CR-V just to ensure it wasn't just a single unit issue. Based upon these factors I purchased a new CR-V.

Fast forward to my most recent experiences (February of 2018) and I test drove both new 2018 models as well as used (2015-2016) models of the same vehicles again. I was shocked to discover that there still seems to be a difference in the road manners and noise levels between the two vehicles. The new (2018) models were much closer but there was still a significant difference. Again, my test drives weren't half-day treks allowing for an extensive evaluation but they were over the same roads and within an hour of each other.

Fortunately I found a CPO 2016 EX-L that meets my needs and should provide years of dependable service before I'll be in the market again but I really wanted to hear some great things about the new RAV4. It has a power train that doesn't have a turbo and still uses a traditional automatic transmission versus the CVT and I don't find the styling objectionable.

I can't believe I am the only person who has driven multiple generations of the RAV4 and CR-V to note these differences. My conclusion post these experiences is that many people must be purchasing the RAV4 without doing any significant due diligence based upon the fact that they wanted a Toyota. The good news is that in 5 or 6 years I'll probably be in the market again and I'll cross-shop these two manufacturers as well as others before making my decision.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My First Honda

Here's my take on the CR-V: I purchased my 2018 EX-L AWD, 1.5L turbo back in February 2018 after the normal internet research. MT small SUV of the year, Consumer Reports recommendation Etc. I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla with just under 200,000 miles on it I was using to commute to work so I thought it's time for a new vehicle. The Corolla has been the absolutely most reliable car I've ever owned. Up until earlier this year I had only spent $16.00 in repairs...yes SIXTEEN DOLLARS!, (Of course that doesn't include normal maintenance). This year it needed it's first water pump and an airbag impact sensor..no big deal.

Anyway I've had all Toyotas since 2000 (2000 Sienna, 2005 Corolla, 2010 Lexus, 2011 Tacoma) and never regretted buying any of them. Other than the Sienna I still own the others and they run perfectly so it was a leap for me to go for the Honda. I wanted a small (not a mini) AWD SUV for my commuter vehicle so after my research I narrowed my selection down the Subaru Outback and the CR-V. My only issue with the RAV4 was I did not like the body style, yeah I was picky. The Outback 3.6R was a real nice car but it was quite a bit more expensive than the CR-V so I passed on it. Due to the weight of the Outback I was concerned with the 4 cylinder engine so I ruled that one out.

Of course not long after I bought the CR-V I started reading the internet buzz regarding the oil dilution problem. Had I known that beforehand I very likely would have passed on the CR-V, timing is everything.

I now have over 17,000 miles on it and my experience has been pretty good. The only real negative is the infotainment system which is cumbersome and slow responding. I've also had it spontaneously "wig out" a couple of times, I have no idea why. When I had the introductory satellite radio subscription it sometimes refused to tune to my presets, I would just get an error message. It would just clear up without me doing anything. Another couple of times the display started flashing and scrolling on it's own. The audio would stutter and cut out at the same time....no idea why...but it cured itself.

Fuel mileage has been high 20's with mixed driving. Typical tank range I've gotten is about 300 miles +/-. A little larger tank would be nice but that's not a show stopper for my use.

The engine takes quite a long time to warm up, even while driving. I'll start getting heat before there's any appreciable temperature showing on the gauge but for the engine to reach normal operating temperature it's more driving than I think it should be.

Driving in the snow has been acceptable. I have the Ecopian tires which certainly don't seem optimized for winter driving but I was able to navigate the storms, of course I don't worry about being able to hit 0.8 g's on a snow covered skid pad either.

I have not experienced any oil dilution. I've followed the onboard maintenance minder and did the oil changes when the life got to 20%, so I did not change it more often than necessary. I'm guessing this issue is very affected by short trips especially in cold weather. My trips are rarely short and the engine always gets to full operating temperature on every drive, it's also garage kept. Oil dilution might also be affected by poor QC at the factory but that's something Honda would need to figure out.

So the jury is still out on my first Honda. The Toyotas I've owned were extremely reliable, especially the Corolla which will be a tough act to follow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts