Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the April issue the Best Small SUV comparo. All the usual suspects but the CR-V the hands down winner. Surprised that the new RAV 4 was let down by the chassis and drivetrain. What's the point of a re-design?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
371 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Well hate to agree be the small SUV the CRV why it can't compete against the Mid size Rav-4 sat in one yesterday. won't comment further

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In the April issue the Best Small SUV comparo. All the usual suspects but the CR-V the hands down winner. Surprised that the new RAV 4 was let down by the chassis and drivetrain. What's the point of a re-design?
My gf commented how loud the Rav-4 is on the test drive we took.

She isn't a car person it spoke volumes to me about how obvious the noise is.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Noise cancelation systems lol

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The local dealers over here cannot sell the new gen 2019's yet. I suspect this is going to be a major problem for Toyota moving forward as many countries now impose very high tariffs on Vehicle with engine sizes greater than 2.0L.
I talked to a sales guy at Toyota and he said that for right now they are still making the older Gen and supplying that to most of the world as the 2019 until the 2L version is released. He said there is no way that any of the dealers in these countries can compete with the Honda CR-V if they have to be paying an additional 30% in tariffs on the 2.5L

Update: They seem to have a 2L version going up for sale in the EU. It is not available in Australia etc yet but man this is going to be rough on Toyota's global sales.

The new 2019 with 2L have:

173Hp 4 cylinder engines
0-60 in 9.2 sec
and 208 nM of Torque.

This is going to be a very sluggish vehicle compared to the CR-V. It's going to be tough on Toyota to convince people in other countries to buy this over the CR-V when you add in this plus the other factors like noise etc.

Rob

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow, the CRV received a full score even after running into the pedestrian at 0:44. Gotta wonder what the criteria was for passing.
The CRV has slowed down significantly b4 contact and eventually stopped after. The simulated pedestrian was walking away from the moving vehicle, but yes, it should have stopped b4 contact. We don't know if that is the first try or several.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The source I used was Toyota Australia! I don't think it gets anymore reliable than that.

https://www.toyota.com.au/main/rav4

They are still offering the old Rav4. As your link says they might be getting the newer version in the second quarter of this year. I say "might" because my dealer told me a story like that before and yet we still did not get it for another 3 months.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I'm not a car person either, but I noticed the loud noise on the 2019 RAV4 test drive.
Every Video on YouTube mentions the engine noise. I wonder if they have active cancellation or not. If they don't that is something they could add in the refresh.

Rob

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Wow, the CRV received a full score even after running into the pedestrian at 0:44. Gotta wonder what the criteria was for passing.
Well, what I saw was the CR-V stopped then inched forward slowly. The pedestrian would have not likely have been injured. I know first hand that if a stupid college kid with his headset on not paying any attention to the real world walks out in front of my CR-V that it will in fact stop for him.

Now, watch that video again and sew how the high dollar BMW handled that situation.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
They tell you their only beef is about one particular problem with the CR-V and how Honda is handling it but then when a video like this comes around you see the true motivations of some of them.

They look at the video and all they are looking for is anything that they can use as a negative against the CR-V. No matter how tiny it is they will use it as ammunition. It's so frustrating to them that almost every award in the compact SUV market is going to the CR-V and that sales of the CR-V are going up and up, so they now spend their lives going to every website and every YouTube video on the CR-V to tell people not to buy a CR-V. So far all they seem to have done is increase sales of the CR-V. Every month that passes is the More CR-Vs I see on the road.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Every Video on YouTube mentions the engine noise. I wonder if they have active cancellation or not. If they don't that is something they could add in the refresh.

Rob
No Rob ..... The RAV4 is very quiet so they installed a system in the car to make it sound louder so the driver knows the engine is running :=)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.