Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on Motorweek they did a seven vehicle comparison for the following 2019 MY compact SUV's;
WW Tiguan
Hyundai Tuscon
Jeep Cherokee
Nissan Rogue
Toyota Rav4
Subaru Forester
Honda CR-V

After all the comparisons were completed the following did not make the top four; Rogue, Cherokee & Rav4. The final four finished as follows;
1 - WW Tiguan
2 - Subaru Forester
3 - Hyundai Tuscon
4 - Honda CR-V

I personally tested the Tiguan this past week and found it to be very nice in all aspects. Only thing I really noticed were that the seat bottoms had very little support and were on the hard side. Noisy under acceleration and on the pricey side as you had to add another $1,295 to get all of the safety features in the Tuscon. Also built in Mexico did not sit well with me.
I know the ratings do not carry a lot of weight but the comments by the reviewers were interesting and I thought they did a nice job here. I am sure you could catch the show via the internet if interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most of these cars are very similar with features, powertrains, etc, I think it just a matter of preference or brand loyalty when it comes to choosing a vehicle in this class since there are no clear winners. Either way all cars on that list are very good for their intended use. I would not mind if CRV had 3rd row seat for kids like tiguan and rogue. There is enough room for it especially if they would have sliding 2nd row seat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most of these cars are very similar with features, powertrains, etc, I think it just a matter of preference or brand loyalty when it comes to choosing a vehicle in this class since there are no clear winners. Either way all cars on that list are very good for their intended use. I would not mind if CRV had 3rd row seat for kids like tiguan and rogue. There is enough room for it especially if they would have sliding 2nd row seat.
I'm with you on the 3rd row option. 3 rows IS an option in Australia on the CR-V. I'm a bit perplexed as to why the new passport doesn't even have a 3rd row, unless they just want to keep from cannibalizing the Pilot sales too much. I'm guessing that's a big part of it.

I also really wish Honda would have let us customize our vehicle a little more by taking some of the standard "upgrades" that you get with the various trim levels and making them options instead. Stuff like engine choice, sunroof, navigation system, etc.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I was told by various mechanics and car enthusiasts that VW are impossible to do DYI maintenance, and they cost an arm and a leg to get it serviced. I don't know about the Tiguan specifically but this is what I found.
View attachment 129449
It's pretty standard oil change. Just need a special allen key for the drain bolt. Actually looks as easy as the CRV. It's about 10-15 dollars more because of 6 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local dealer here charges $90 however that oil change only happens every 9,000 miles or 1 per yr whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I watched it and liked the video but the problem was that the three guys had wildly different interests in what they wanted in an SUV. In the end it seemed to be all about the one or two things that they could all agree on versus finding the best overall vehicle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Local dealer here charges $90 however that oil change only happens every 9,000 miles or 1 per yr whichever comes first.
my local Honda dealer has a special package, $109.00 for 3 oil changes plus tire rotation and multi-point inspection (synthetic oil) they have that for 4 years now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
my local Honda dealer has a special package, $109.00 for 3 oil changes plus tire rotation and multi-point inspection (synthetic oil) they have that for 4 years now.
Mine charges $50 for oil and filter change plus inspection. Your getting a really good deal at $109 for three plus tire rotation.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
My dealer provides free oil and filter changes (using Maintenance Minder) for as long as I own the car. Also free multipoint inspection. $25 to rotate tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Almost all auto magazine tests and comparisons are limited by several practicalities.
1. Most get their cars from the manufacturer and, to stay on the manufacturer's priority list for the free samples in time for their production deadlines, you must wonder at their willingness to tell the whole truth.
2. An aspect of the whole truth is long term reliability and the support of a dealer network (or service centers in the case of Tesla). If I have the car for two weeks, how do I know anything about those attributes that certainly contribute to the reasons I buy car a versus car b. Because car mags get cars before anyone else does, they are not able to use crowd sourced information to add to their limited trial opinions.
3. And sometimes they drive pre-production cars that must be destroyed without being sold to the public. How representative are they?

How many car mags have picked up on the OD issue and Honda's success in dealing with it? Compared to reliability, do I really care that a piece of plastic is hard verses soft? When I go back to look at initial reviews of the cars I've owned, I'm amazed that those reviews don't emphasize the thing that mattered to me in the long term.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My dealer provides free oil and filter changes (using Maintenance Minder) for as long as I own the car. Also free multipoint inspection. $25 to rotate tires.
Who did you have to sleep with to get a deal like that :HighFive:

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,224 Posts
Who did you have to sleep with to get a deal like that :HighFive:

Rob
The dealer we bought my wife's 15 Escape Titanium from back in 2015 does this as well. They call it Maintenance for Life, (M4L) and it's a $995 add on to the Factory Window Sticker on all new cars they sell, and automatically included on all used cars. Oil/filter and rotations. I negotiated the best price, with the M4L included...then I told them I don't want the M4L, and to take the $995 off, and I will buy the car. They did, and I did. When I was signing papers, the F&I guy handed me the paper for the M4L. I (honestly) told him it wasn't included in my deal. He said, yes it is, we included in all our deals. Hmm...

Two years later, we helped our daughter buy a used car from them, and she gets the oil/filter changes for free also.

It's the biggest dealership chain here, and they sell many different brands, all include M4L. No Honda products however.

With this said, this dealer has the best service department I have ever dealt with, in many, many years of new car dealership service department experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honest Reviews

3. And sometimes they drive pre-production cars that must be destroyed without being sold to the public. How representative are they?

How many car mags have picked up on the OD issue and Honda's success in dealing with it? Compared to reliability, do I really care that a piece of plastic is hard verses soft? When I go back to look at initial reviews of the cars I've owned, I'm amazed that those reviews don't emphasize the thing that mattered to me in the long term.
I've been reading Consumer Reports for more than 50 years now. I don't always agree with their opinions (they're VERY heavy on safety concerns), but I can't fault their integrity. They are the only publication that I know of that purchases ALL of the cars they test, and they do it with "secret" buyers who are not identified to the dealers. Their long-term reliability ratings are backed up by owner surveys and valid statistical modeling. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't developed any real competition over the years. Must be the expense of running an honest business.

As mikefocke said, anyone can borrow a factory car and drive it around the track. I'm sure that many different testers would provide similar opinions on a given vehicle's handling or comfort characteristics. Many luxury cars perform well when new, but turn into a money pit a few years later. If long-term reliability (with associated inconvenience and expense) concerns you, then run to your local library and read the April issue of CR.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,607 Posts
I've been reading Consumer Reports for more than 50 years now. I don't always agree with their opinions (they're VERY heavy on safety concerns), but I can't fault their integrity. They are the only publication that I know of that purchases ALL of the cars they test, and they do it with "secret" buyers who are not identified to the dealers. Their long-term reliability ratings are backed up by owner surveys and valid statistical modeling. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't developed any real competition over the years. Must be the expense of running an honest business.

As mikefocke said, anyone can borrow a factory car and drive it around the track. I'm sure that many different testers would provide similar opinions on a given vehicle's handling or comfort characteristics. Many luxury cars perform well when new, but turn into a money pit a few years later. If long-term reliability (with associated inconvenience and expense) concerns you, then run to your local library and read the April issue of CR.
I very much agree. CR is always my starting point when beginning a car shopping exercise (and many other expensive purchases).

·
Registered
183 Posts
I very much agree. CR is always my starting point when beginning a car shopping exercise (and many other expensive purchases).
But on a new model, their approach brakes down. The characteristics of the new model may result in very different reliability than the previous model. The third year may be different from the first. And by the time CR gets the data and publishes, you may be almost to the new model's introduction.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm with you on the 3rd row option. 3 rows IS an option in Australia on the CR-V. I'm a bit perplexed as to why the new passport doesn't even have a 3rd row, unless they just want to keep from cannibalizing the Pilot sales too much. I'm guessing that's a big part of it.

I also really wish Honda would have let us customize our vehicle a little more by taking some of the standard "upgrades" that you get with the various trim levels and making them options instead. Stuff like engine choice, sunroof, navigation system, etc.
1) Letting you pick options drives the price of building cars up...a lot! Its cheaper for them to put every feature in and only make a few models. Really makes production easier.

2) Third row seating in the Passport: If you want that extra row of seats, buy a Pilot. The Passport is shortened for a reason and there is not room for that difficult to use (useless for many of us) third row seat.

3) Compared to some vehicle Honda CR-V's have a pretty good model choice line-up. LX, EX, EX-L, EX-L Nav, Touring, FWD and AWD in any of them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts