Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a home made roof rack on my 2011 CRV. It's a design I found on this forum. The 4 mounting areas contain 2 bare "studs" and a stud with a nut on it. These studs have to be removed and replaced with bolts through my rack. How do you remove these studs ? I haven't tried to take them out for fear of damaging the threads. I would like to get them out intact to replace in the future if I change vehicles. Maybe I should just jump in with a pair of vise grips ? Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mounting my home made rack

OK. now I feel like a fool. The DIY rack I saw, and bought ALL the material for, was built for an element, NOT a CRV. .The two mounting systems are completely different. What a tool I am. Anyway it seems I have to remove the two studs in each mounting area to get my rack to work. Has ANYONE built their own rack and have had to remove, or use, the studs in the CRV's systen ? Once I get the studs out will I be able to bolt my rack risers from the top down into the existing mounts ? I'm into this too deep right now to give up so any information or experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Home made racks

I'll have to measure again but I think the studs are not long enough to go through the 1/4 " material I wanted to use. If the studs come out, OR are long enough - NO problem. If they don't come out I'll just have to figure it out. Time to get inventive. I'll post some pictures when this project is finished. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When you Get R Done I'd say first thing to do is rename yourself on here to CRV STUD.

Cheers
ZAZE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts