Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
655 Posts
I had this service performed and after the update, my mileage has gone down. It's not a huge amount, but close to 1 mpg overall. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes many have, myself included.
It’s most noticeable on short trips or the first 5 miles or so. Before the update my screen would never display lower than 25mpg. Now it’ll show as low as 18mpg after 5 miles on a cold day. After 20 miles it’ll average up over 30 mpg like it used to.

· Banned
352 Posts
Yes many have, myself included.
It’s most noticeable on short trips or the first 5 miles or so. Before the update my screen would never display lower than 25mpg. Now it’ll show as low as 18mpg after 5 miles on a cold day. After 20 miles it’ll average up over 30 mpg like it used to.
I'm surprised this "side effect" of the fix doesn't get more attention.

Given the changes Honda has made, your fuel economy is guaranteed to go down after the fix.

This should be unacceptable for Gen 5 CR-V owners. Honda should be required to restate the EPA MPG ratings on the window sticker, and compensate owners for the reduced MPG.

· Registered
101 Posts
I've had both the November and February updates done on my 2018 Ex and have not seen any noticable change In fuel mileage. But to keep it real, I'm in a warm weather state and I have not seen the 1500 RPM idle during warm up other owners have reported in cold weather states and Canada.

IMHO If your CR-V running high RPM's during warm it does not seem unrealistic to lose 1 to 2 MPG in cold weather. That's not meaning Honda has not changed the injector setting for cold weather operations or the owners dealing with ones that do not warm up are not losing fuel mileage with the updates. Who knows in reality Honda is not very transparent with there fixes for this issue.

· Registered
619 Posts
I've had both the November and February updates done on my 2018 Ex and have not seen any noticable change In fuel mileage. But to keep it real, I'm in a warm weather state and I have not seen the 1500 RPM idle during warm up other owners have reported in cold weather states and Canada.
Jst_Bcuz,

What Service Bulletin # appears on the bottom right of your latest letter?

Thanks,
Bob

· Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm surprised this "side effect" of the fix doesn't get more attention.

Given the changes Honda has made, your fuel economy is guaranteed to go down after the fix.

This should be unacceptable for Gen 5 CR-V owners. Honda should be required to restate the EPA MPG ratings on the window sticker, and compensate owners for the reduced MPG.
The window sticker only needs to be changed if the results on the EPA test cycle come out differently.

· Banned
352 Posts
The window sticker only needs to be changed if the results on the EPA test cycle come out differently.
Yes, obviously.

From what I've read, the "fix" involves operating the CR-V's engine at notably higher RPM's, which would certainly have a negative impact on MPG.

However, maybe Honda designed the "fix" (a la Volkswagen) to not change its operation for the EPA test cycle.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Yes, obviously.

From what I've read, the "fix" involves operating the CR-V's engine at notably higher RPM's, which would certainly have a negative impact on MPG.

However, maybe Honda designed the "fix" (a la Volkswagen) to not change its operation for the EPA test cycle.
The Cold-Temp (20F) test is a little over a half-hour long and has three minutes of highway driving three minutes into the test, which is probably going to bring the engine up to a temperature where the modifications no longer have an effect. (It also has the A/C off, which in our cars affects the shutter operation; it hastens warmup.) Since "the letter" only affects warmup procedures, it's not surprising that a change that's only going to effect the first three minutes of only one of the tests is not going to result in an MPG change.

· Registered
101 Posts
Jst_Bcuz,

What Service Bulletin # appears on the bottom right of your latest letter?

Thanks,
Bob
BobinPA,

I have no idea what the service bulletin number of the Febuary update was, sorry. I live in a "unaffected state" so I did not get a letter and the receipt from the dealer says latest software update installed, this was the 10th of February. The service manager told me that there was a new update just released that was installed after discussion with Honda tech. I've had nothing but good experiences with the service manager and take him at his word, but it is not I writing. It's to soon to make any prediction of it works to reduce the OD issue or not.

Trying not to hi Jack thread my mileage after the latest up date has been :
First tank after update = 34.9 MPG (414 miles)
Second tank after update = 33.0 MPG (387 miles)

I drive about 90% freeway miles on flat roads with very few short trips under 10 miles, so I have not seen any reduction in fuel mileage.

· Banned
352 Posts
The Cold-Temp (20F) test is a little over a half-hour long and has three minutes of highway driving three minutes into the test, which is probably going to bring the engine up to a temperature where the modifications no longer have an effect. (It also has the A/C off, which in our cars affects the shutter operation; it hastens warmup.) Since "the letter" only affects warmup procedures, it's not surprising that a change that's only going to effect the first three minutes of only one of the tests is not going to result in an MPG change.
It appears you know more about Honda's "fix" than I do.
- You said it "only affects warmup procedures". Owners complain that even after the vehicle is warmed up, that the engine and cabin temperatures drop when in lower RPM situations (i.e. idling, slower driving, ect.). So the "fix" doesn't do anything in this situation?
- Is the "fix" warmup procedure fixed, remaining constant regardless of ambient temperatures?

If Honda's "fix" truly fixed the problems reported, I would have thought idle speed increased, even after warmup.

Depending on answers to the above questions, you may have oversimplified the EPA testing procedure's impact on the "fix"...
- 2 of 5 tests begin with a cold engine startup
- 4 of 5 tests include a notable amount of idling time
- The average speed for all 5 tests is under 50 MPH
- 3 of 5 tests have an average speed under 22 MPH
- The Cold Weather test you cite includes 23 stops. Except for 2 short 56 MPH highway cycles, max speed is only ~30 MPH

· Registered
619 Posts
BobinPA,

I have no idea what the service bulletin number of the Febuary update was, sorry. I live in a "unaffected state" so I did not get a letter and the receipt from the dealer says latest software update installed, this was the 10th of February. The service manager told me that there was a new update just released that was installed after discussion with Honda tech. I've had nothing but good experiences with the service manager and take him at his word, but it is not I writing. It's to soon to make any prediction of it works to reduce the OD issue or not.
Jst Bcuz,

I saw that you lived in Eastern NC one of the unaffected states, that's what caught my interest. The fact that you live in the South would mean to me that your dealer would not have the A/C parts available for the early 114 fix, so he was probably only authorized to apply the 124 fix, which he did.
Then on February 10 a newer fix was applied, which I read to mean that you had a new and improved version of the 124 fix applied.

This is good news to me because it means that Honda has modified the original version of the "your vehicle's software updated" part of the fix that is common to both TSBs. I think it's good news that Honda is continuing its attempt to find a solution to the OD problem, not just the Heat.

Thanks,
Bob

· Registered
101 Posts
Jst Bcuz,

I saw that you lived in Eastern NC one of the unaffected states, that's what caught my interest. The fact that you live in the South would mean to me that your dealer would not have the A/C parts available for the early 114 fix, so he was probably only authorized to apply the 124 fix, which he did.
Then on February 10 a newer fix was applied, which I read to mean that you had a new and improved version of the 124 fix applied.

This is good news to me because it means that Honda has modified the original version of the "your vehicle's software updated" part of the fix that is common to both TSBs. I think it's good news that Honda is continuing its attempt to find a solution to the OD problem, not just the Heat.

Thanks,
Bob
No problem Bob. I hope it honda gets something in place to help reduce the problem. The CR-V has to many good things about it give up on it.

Some good news is I have 1000 miles on the new oil from the update and it has very little discoloration and does not small of gas half as bad as it did. As we all know that doesn't mean much, althouugh it's positive in my book.

· Registered
92 Posts
Interesting. Our 2018 Touring (built August 2018 in Greensburg Indiana) always starts at 1500 RPM for 15 seconds or so before slowly working down to around 1000. Once I put it in D, it goes down a bit. We are in South Florida, so the lowest I have ever driven it is about 50F. When it is cool, I take care to make sure the A/C is off so the shutters will stay closed. Warmup takes about 1 mile. I also have a company car that is a 2014 Ford Focus that I never worry about if the A/C is on or off, just adjust the temp. But it still warms up faster. But at least I don't smell gas, my oil level is still OK. Got the car in August, and just turned 3000 miles, so it doesn't get long drives. No letters. No fixes so far.

· Registered
240 Posts
Mine dropped a couple of MPG in mixed driving, and on highway drives where I could momentarily hit 34 MPG I can't seem to get past 31.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.