Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MPG change after recall?

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Coldhonda 
#1 ·
I had this service performed and after the update, my mileage has gone down. It's not a huge amount, but close to 1 mpg overall. Has anyone else noticed this?

#2 ·
Yes many have, myself included.
It’s most noticeable on short trips or the first 5 miles or so. Before the update my screen would never display lower than 25mpg. Now it’ll show as low as 18mpg after 5 miles on a cold day. After 20 miles it’ll average up over 30 mpg like it used to.

#3 ·
I'm surprised this "side effect" of the fix doesn't get more attention.

Given the changes Honda has made, your fuel economy is guaranteed to go down after the fix.

This should be unacceptable for Gen 5 CR-V owners. Honda should be required to restate the EPA MPG ratings on the window sticker, and compensate owners for the reduced MPG.

#10 ·
The window sticker only needs to be changed if the results on the EPA test cycle come out differently.
Yes, obviously.

From what I've read, the "fix" involves operating the CR-V's engine at notably higher RPM's, which would certainly have a negative impact on MPG.

However, maybe Honda designed the "fix" (a la Volkswagen) to not change its operation for the EPA test cycle.

#5 ·
I've had both the November and February updates done on my 2018 Ex and have not seen any noticable change In fuel mileage. But to keep it real, I'm in a warm weather state and I have not seen the 1500 RPM idle during warm up other owners have reported in cold weather states and Canada.

IMHO If your CR-V running high RPM's during warm it does not seem unrealistic to lose 1 to 2 MPG in cold weather. That's not meaning Honda has not changed the injector setting for cold weather operations or the owners dealing with ones that do not warm up are not losing fuel mileage with the updates. Who knows in reality Honda is not very transparent with there fixes for this issue.

#7 ·
I've had both the November and February updates done on my 2018 Ex and have not seen any noticable change In fuel mileage. But to keep it real, I'm in a warm weather state and I have not seen the 1500 RPM idle during warm up other owners have reported in cold weather states and Canada.
Jst_Bcuz,

What Service Bulletin # appears on the bottom right of your latest letter?

Thanks,
Bob

#17 ·
Interesting. Our 2018 Touring (built August 2018 in Greensburg Indiana) always starts at 1500 RPM for 15 seconds or so before slowly working down to around 1000. Once I put it in D, it goes down a bit. We are in South Florida, so the lowest I have ever driven it is about 50F. When it is cool, I take care to make sure the A/C is off so the shutters will stay closed. Warmup takes about 1 mile. I also have a company car that is a 2014 Ford Focus that I never worry about if the A/C is on or off, just adjust the temp. But it still warms up faster. But at least I don't smell gas, my oil level is still OK. Got the car in August, and just turned 3000 miles, so it doesn't get long drives. No letters. No fixes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.