·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , this is a great forum.
I have a 2012 CRV EX 4WD.
It has 100k miles and I just did the following:
1) Replaced the serpentine belt w/ a Dayco brand belt
2) Replace spark plugs w/ NGK laser iridiums I doubled checked that the correct PART # plugs were used. I did not gap them before putting them in as they came pre gapped.
3) I drained 3 qts tranny fluid and replaced w/ honda fluid ( I do this at every oil change).
4) I changed the oil and filter: 0w-20 Mobil full synthetic and Mobil filter.

The overall MPG dropped the first day by 4 to 5 mpg and has remained this low.
Any ideas?

Also,
I have replaced the rear brake shoes 3 times in 100 k but the fronts have 75% of thickness still. Mainly highway driving, and a lot, 36kmi/ yr. Is this normal?
Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
Maybe visited your local buffet restaurant and overdid it? :D

You sure drive a lot.

Trannny change at every oil change? Why?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Next time you drive more than a few miles and stop, feel the rims to see if one is hotter than the other. If so, that would indicated a brake sticking problem.
Did you by chance disconnect the battery while doing the aforementioned work? If so, you could try the idle relearn procedure. Google it.
Any trouble codes?
Did you notice performance problems before replacing the spark plugs?
Yes, it could be the winter gas.
Buffalo4
PS: Does the engine air filter have a plastic bag sucked into it? :(

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hello , this is a great forum.
I have a 2012 CRV EX 4WD.
It has 100k miles and I just did the following:
1) Replaced the serpentine belt w/ a Dayco brand belt
2) Replace spark plugs w/ NGK laser iridiums I doubled checked that the correct PART # plugs were used. I did not gap them before putting them in as they came pre gapped.
3) I drained 3 qts tranny fluid and replaced w/ honda fluid ( I do this at every oil change).
4) I changed the oil and filter: 0w-20 Mobil full synthetic and Mobil filter.

The overall MPG dropped the first day by 4 to 5 mpg and has remained this low.
Any ideas?

Also,
I have replaced the rear brake shoes 3 times in 100 k but the fronts have 75% of thickness still. Mainly highway driving, and a lot, 36kmi/ yr. Is this normal?
Thanks
No, that isn't normal. You should be wearing out the fronts first, me thinks you are driving with the parking brake partially engaged.

·
Registered
868 Posts
No, that isn't normal. You should be wearing out the fronts first, me thinks you are driving with the parking brake partially engaged.
Theoretically front and rear should wear at the same rate. Front disk is much bigger than rear. But it's very common that rear wear first. They have on my last two CRV's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Theoretically front and rear should wear at the same rate. Front disk is much bigger than rear. But it's very common that rear wear first. They have on my last two CRV's.
Same here. The rears going (twice!) before the fronts were a first for me. Dealer originally gave me a line of bs saying the "open nature" of the back end allowed dirt and grime to get into the disc and cause wear. Now they (half) admit it's a design flaw and the calipers tend to stick, so they now offer "rear brake maintenance service" every B code that entails disassembling and cleaning the rear brakes to keep them freed up. I've heard similar stories from multiple CRV owners.

But anyway, I'd think that you'd feel or smell the heat if the brake was dragging that much, and I wouldn't think it would be that happen so quickly to notice it like you did. My money's on the gas or plugged air filter. I'll be interested to know what caused it when you identify the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts