Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the recent owner of a 2016 Crv EX cvt. I am getting 19.9 mpg for city driving. We live in Philadelphia so this is serious city driving. However, online it says I should be gettin 26 mpg. Is there somethign wrong with our new car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd say you are probably doing OK. It's winter, winter fuel, snow and city driving. When the heat returns you will probably hit the magic 26 and perhaps more.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,530 Posts
What I always tell people is:

Stop & go driving REALLY cuts MPG.

To test your car, fill up with gas in the morning, then go on a drive of at least 100 miles. Fill up again on the way home.

Divide miles traveled by gallons used, and post back with your findings.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
344 Posts
That depends on your traffic, hills, weather temp...
We get 27mpg city in summer and 19 mpg in winter. But we have very cold winters (-35c) and uses our remote start to warm up the car.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Your not going to get highway mileage during city driving especially during the winter. As well as you won't get that mileage unless you drive gently. City hard accelerating constantly eats up MPG quickly as well as sitting in traffic because your not moving. MPG ratings are best case numbers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
19.9 does seem kind of low considering 26 is its city rating, but not terribly so.

Are you a leadfoot?

Does your CRV have lots of mileage without a tune-up?

Are your tires pressure below recommended levels?

If you answered "yes" to any or all the above, you probably have your answer.

If not, and if MPG stays consistently that low into the spring, I'd have someone check it out.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,634 Posts
Those online mileage ratings are bogus. There are no cars getting those advertised numbers. Go back and look again, this time for real world numbers. 20mpg is pretty good for city driving in any car. Just drive it and enjoy it. There are a lot of folks out there wasting a lot of time with such fixations, to the point of having special apps, trying to alter learned habits, etc. Why get ulcers or pop a brain vessel over something you can't control anyway? Just drive the car and enjoy it. You are never going to get those high numbers, which are calculated on paper under laboratory conditions. It's all just hype. Run a summer trip check once and be done with it unless it shows a serious issue. Your 2016 is essentially the same car as my '07. with the same motor and same weight, and I am getting about the same (or somewhere close) right now. And I'm as happy as a little girl about it. It beats the heck out of the 10mpg my truck gets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to get 30.9 combined, but this winter has been colder than usual (45 degrees average) and it has dropped down to 29.7 combined. I’ve noticed that going easy on acceleration and letting it coast as much as possible really helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 CRV 2WD 2.4L non turbo gets terrible MPG on streets 20-21 MPG... on highways it gets about 25-26 MPG and combined about 24 MPG. By spec it should do 27 MPG combined which is not true... And this is since it was new. 23 MPG street, 33 MPG highway. Bull S****.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2014 CR-V nonCVT gets 17-19 MPG around New York City in stop and go, 19.9 would be great if it was normally that number. Out on the highway it gets 27-28 MPG.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm the recent owner of a 2016 Crv EX cvt. I am getting 19.9 mpg for city driving. We live in Philadelphia so this is serious city driving. However, online it says I should be gettin 26 mpg. Is there somethign wrong with our new car?
There’s city driving, then there’s city driving.
They’re all totally different. Some have smart lights to keep you moving, while others have pedestrian crossing stopping cars at every intersection plus traffic. It’s not the cars fault. Take it on a long highway or rural road, and check the mileage. If it’s good there, then the car is fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2014 CRV EX-L AWD is supposed to get 22 city and 30 highway. Edmund's indicates I should expect 26.6 combined. Guess what, for the last 22,000 miles we are getting 26.7 MPG.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,634 Posts
There are a lot of variables. The specific vehicle, the terrain and traffic conditions as well as weather, and your driving style. I'm a leadfoot, and I drive in a lot of heavy city traffic mostly. But I am not willing to compromise with how I drive, and I am not that concerned with it. I just drive it the way I want to, let the car sort out the rest, and take what I get. To me it's a waste of energy to be so focused on it. But I also know folks who consider it a challenge and go about it all scientifical. It's always interesting to hear what they have to say, even if I do find it amusing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In summertime we average 25 mpg in mixed driving, which drops to 23 on winter gas. For pure highway we average 31-32 mpg. 2014 EX AWD

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
323 Posts
Not to rub salt in your wounds but today I couldn't wait any longer - I was wanting to see the MPG results of my week old 2016 CRV (all in a small town).

The exact miles and fuel consumed was entered into fuelly.com, and it came back with 29.2 MPG. (by memory: approx 183 miles and 6.2 gal).

This is UP from my prior scooter (08 Santa Fe) which returned around 22 MPG (nearing 4 years/ 43,000 miles).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 2015 EXL gets low 28.5 when the wife drives it but I get between 30.5 to 33.0 in combination C/H. Yes tire pressure and how you drive makes a bet difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure how hilly Philadelphia is but I know that mountains and hills can really hurt MPG. When I took my 2012 CR-V to Pittsburgh I feel like I got about the same mileage as I do here in Northwest Arkansas. I reset one of my trip meters frequently so I have a pretty good idea of what I average during different types of driving.
13-15 mpg on my commute to and from work
17-21 running errands in town
24-26 on rural highways
When I visit family in south Arkansas, which is completely flat, my numbers are very different.
31-35 on the interstate headed south (downhill)
22-26 driving in a small town
28-32 on the interstate headed north (uphill)
Traffic and how fast I'm accelerating any particular day vary which is why I listed mpg ranges

1 - 20 of 37 Posts