Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm curious about the accuracy of the mpg readout. I just today finished a drive on the first tank of our new CRV. The trip was about 170 miles downhill to the coast and the readout was an amazing 37.6 mpg. I'm having some trouble believing that's for real. My Hyundai Elantra GT regularly reads about 2 mpg high. Is the CRV equally optimistic? Of course I'll know when I fill up, but figured someone already had a good idea about the general accuracy. Thanks.

Geoff

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been tracking my gas usage and mpg readout since December, about 5k miles. I find the readout mpg trends about 2% higher than gas purchases would indicate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine, too, has been reasonably accurate. The most accurate system I've ever had was on my 2000 Volvo S80. It was spot on to my calculated numbers.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very close on my 2018 Touring.
I've gotten 35+ mpg a bunch of times.
Best of 39.5 for 220 miles

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 CRV touring
42 Posts
I find this odd, I only get 24 mpg and have never seen anything above 25 mpg. I'm wishing I can just reach 30

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It also depends on how you drive, as faster speeds will give you lower fuel mileage.
The US Department of Energy has a fuel economy site that his a Driving More Efficiently page:

I've hit 29 mpg a couple of times, which is the US EPA highway rating for my 2014 CR-V, but then I don't usually drive 70+ MPH on the highways.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are so many variables that determine mileage that what one person gets may be totally different from another. Temperature, wind, elevation, terrain,driving style, tire pressure, road surface, and of course speed to name a few.
In October, I drove from Vancouver Canada to Palm Springs. I averaged a hand calculated 40 mpg. I was driving on I5 at 70mph with a horrendous tail wind, all the way. Lucky I wasn't going the other way, or I would have needed a fuel tender. The little engine that could does quite well under ideal conditions, but, I have found wind to be a big factor.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
I find this odd, I only get 24 mpg and have never seen anything above 25 mpg. I'm wishing I can just reach 30
reminder- reset your mileage to start fresh when you fill up the tank. otherwise the calculation is not a fresh reading for the tank and that drive pattern for the newly fulled tank.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
595 Posts
Drive it like a Grandma. Keep the RPMs at or below 2000 on streets and keep it below 70 MPH on the highway. I live in the foothills with lots of up and down driving and I get a steady high 20s to mid 30s driving with this technique. The only time I punch it is when I am on the freeway on-ramp. I have found that punching it momentarily does not adversely effect the MPGs.

The whole world is in such a hurry. Slow down and watch your fuel economy go up. Then, like me, you can LOL as you pass by the gas station you used to stop at more frequently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm curious about the accuracy of the mpg readout. I just today finished a drive on the first tank of our new CRV. The trip was about 170 miles downhill to the coast and the readout was an amazing 37.6 mpg. I'm having some trouble believing that's for real. My Hyundai Elantra GT regularly reads about 2 mpg high. Is the CRV equally optimistic? Of course I'll know when I fill up, but figured someone already had a good idea about the general accuracy. Thanks.

Geoff
My CR-V readout is averaging right at 1 mile over actual.

·
Registered
411 Posts
set your trip-a to reset at each gas refill, and leave the trip-b for when you want to track your trips.
The system MPG uses trip-a. If you don't reset it.... I find it to become inaccurate since your driving situations like idling or short trips or what ever affects the long term numbers (if not being reset).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have not reset mine in at least four months and I'm sitting at 25.7 mpg. That is a factor of 1) I don't spend much time on the freeways, 2) live in the foothills combined with relatively short trips, and 3) I do have fun on winding roads on the weekend. I don't really baby my CRV since I didn't buy it for gas mileage but more for a good all-around daily driver for hauling and zipping around.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
set your trip-a to reset at each gas refill, and leave the trip-b for when you want to track your trips.
The system MPG uses trip-a. If you don't reset it.... I find it to become inaccurate since your driving situations like idling or short trips or what ever affects the long term numbers (if not being reset).
exactly what i've stated too.
i find it handy one can have it automatically reset.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts