Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any experience with MSN Direct with any GPS receiver but particularly Garmin Nuvi 700 series? I am most interested in the traffic reports and rerouting when there is a problem.

MSN Direct

·
Registered
42 Posts
how about navigon

Does any one have any experience with MSN Direct with any GPS receiver but particularly Garmin Nuvi 700 series? I am most interested in the traffic reports and rerouting when there is a problem.

MSN Direct
Just a side note....I have had 5 garmin GPS so far. Their product is great and their customer service is awesome. However, I switched to Navigon GPS because they offer "lifetime traffic" on their GPS. I hate paying monthly fees.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lifetime With MSN

MSN has a "lifetime" plan for $129.95. Just what that means I am not sure but I presume that it is for the life of the device, not the owner's life. Their normal cost is $49.95 per year.

The gizmo to receive MSN is $100 or so over the price of the GPS (except several that come with it installed & 3 free months). You get one year when you buy the MSN antenna for a unit that does not have it built in.

I have Garmin 76 S which is a great GPS for all around use but limited in the car mostly due to a very reflective small monochrome LCD display. I would like to get something that I can actually see on the dashboard, and I would like it to have automatic rerouting based on traffic, construction, accidents and the likes.

How does the traffic feature work on your unit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Navigon Vs Garmin

MSN has a "lifetime" plan for $129.95. Just what that means I am not sure but I presume that it is for the life of the device, not the owner's life. Their normal cost is $49.95 per year.

The gizmo to receive MSN is $100 or so over the price of the GPS (except several that come with it installed & 3 free months). You get one year when you buy the MSN antenna for a unit that does not have it built in.

I have Garmin 76 S which is a great GPS for all around use but limited in the car mostly due to a very reflective small monochrome LCD display. I would like to get something that I can actually see on the dashboard, and I would like it to have automatic rerouting based on traffic, construction, accidents and the likes.

How does the traffic feature work on your unit?
Regarding how well the traffic works on the Navigon, I can tell you it does work. However, I drive about 1 mile to work, so I only used the traffic 1 time in 4 month. It picks up the traffic automatically...very cool. Check amazon.com and look up any Navigon and check what people are writing about it. I read a lot of positive reviews. Regarding MSN and Garmin traffic. I thought they were independent. In other words, you still have to pay monthly for the traffic although the MSN could be paid lifetime. However, if MSN include lifetime traffic, then I probably will consider a Garmin again in the future.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll Have To Check Out The Navigon

I'll check out the Navigon, thanks for the tip.

I don't know for sure but I think the way it works with Garmin and MSN is that you buy the antenna (which is doubles as a power plug) from Garmin, and you pay for the service from MSN. Garmin has no fees--I think, I'll have to check that out also.

Thanks for your replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts