Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb here, looking at an 05 MT yesterday I have a question about the clutch; let me preface this by saying I have a lot of experience driving manual transmission cars, currently own a 94 Miata as a pleasure/weekend/canyon carver. While test driving the CR-V I noticed the point of engagement was at the top of the pedal travel. Is this typical or indicative of need for adjustment or wear? i.e.in the Miata, there is a much shorter length of travel, maybe an inch from the floor at most before initial engagement, then a steady and smooth transition, with an overall short length of total travel compared to the CR-V. The CR-V had a (IMHO) long distance from floor before engagement began, three inches at least or more and then a very short travel or engagement all cumulating at the top or end of travel. Is this typical? Car has 127,000 miles, I tested for slippage and couldn't really get any but drive was on flat ground and not over 5 miles. I was cruising at about 3000 rpm in 4th gear, pushed in clutch and blipped throttle to 5000 while quickly releasing clutch. This should have caused slipping if the clutch was worn; it did not.
Anyone know the cost to replace a clutch on one of these or hours in labor? Labor rates are cheap here, about $85/hr at a good independent shop.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
I'd say that the cylinder pushrod in that car needed to be adjusted. As you suspect, typical engagement is mid-stroke.

My clutch master wore out at around 135K miles. The first time I replaced it I didn't get the pushrod adjusted quite right but in my case it was closer to the floor than I liked initially.

My actual clutch is still going strong at 160K miles, so I can't comment of pressure plate or clutch disc replacement cost..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The clutch is actuated hydraulically and it self adjusts for wear. I suspect the rod adjustment at the slave cylinder is set to where it is and it has probably been that way since the car was new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts